Something I noticed about the modding scene - Page 3 - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Something I noticed about the modding scene
Wednesday, September 07, 2005 5:56 PM
^ lol ian

Wednesday, September 07, 2005 6:41 PM
Ian Lacey wrote:Some people build their car to win the Wild Class at a car show, and some people build their car to win the Under Construction class at a car show... Seems like the cheaper way to go...

And some do as many mods as possible and still stay in the Mild class. Some can't afford Wild lol

Wednesday, September 07, 2005 8:08 PM
I never have had any prob with cars being in primer, for long periods of time i.e. over a month, ( I love old rat rods) as long as it was all in primer and sprayed well. But what alot of people don't understand about rolling with primer on is that you need to put a sealer on it if your going to driving more then just back and forth to the shop on sunny day, because primer is just that, a primer not meant to protect the paint below from the elements other thing but to provide base for your paint. Primer is porious, and will hold moisture, which leads to you guessed it, rust if you don't have it sealed! That it turn means more time and or money when you do finally get the car painted... Just alittle heads up for you primer folks.......BTW PPG among many other makes special primer seals just for that purpose (so you can safely drive the car every day rain or shine without worries just like a regular painted car, and you can even keep that nice flat look or go for a extra cool satin black primer finish.....

Later
Skinny J

Tara, I will love and miss you forever, you will never be forgotten
http://tara-nagel.memory-of.com/

Wednesday, September 07, 2005 8:31 PM
what kinda primer are you using?

Thursday, September 08, 2005 5:32 AM
Maybe he is using Etching primer?? I know the primer I have on my car is NOT porous and water dries off it faster than it did when it was painted, or any other painted car I've had for that matter.

Thursday, September 08, 2005 5:53 AM
Crystal(CrazyCavGirl) OR Jacob wrote:Well, in my case, I would think that it was stupid to paint my car any color when I'm constantly changing something.

For instance, why paint it and THEN save up money to shave the locks/handles/whatever else? Why paint it and THEN decide I want a different body kit, hood, fenders(some of which I have changed and want to change)? Why paint it and then buy a spoiler/wing? Plus, I also have to save up for the paint itself. I've got a lot of molding/shaving in progress on my car, but it's taking forever to get the time and money to do it. Hence the primer....

i agree with you 100% on that one. I change my mind about my car all the time. My whole car was in primer for a while, and then i recently made the mistake of painting it. As soon as i was done painting it, i completely changed my mind on a lot of things. I want the trd kit now, i want a sparco gas door, i wanna do this and that. So basically i wasted money on paint. I'm very indecisive when it comes to modding my car. I like one thing one day, and then hate it the next. I have this idea in my head of what I want it to look like, but it changes every now and then. i'll eventually get it to where i want it to be, but until then, i will be rockin the primer. so that means that my urethane drift front is for sale.

Crystal-what kind of primer are you using? i'm looking for black primer and really like the way your car looks. what brand is it and where can i get it?

Thursday, September 08, 2005 2:25 PM
alias1429, I can't remember who it's made by (maybe Omni?), but it's hot rod black and it's got a little bit of black paint mixed into it to make it a little darker.

Thursday, September 08, 2005 2:40 PM
alias1429 wrote:
Crystal(CrazyCavGirl) OR Jacob wrote:Well, in my case, I would think that it was stupid to paint my car any color when I'm constantly changing something.

For instance, why paint it and THEN save up money to shave the locks/handles/whatever else? Why paint it and THEN decide I want a different body kit, hood, fenders(some of which I have changed and want to change)? Why paint it and then buy a spoiler/wing? Plus, I also have to save up for the paint itself. I've got a lot of molding/shaving in progress on my car, but it's taking forever to get the time and money to do it. Hence the primer....

i agree with you 100% on that one. I change my mind about my car all the time. My whole car was in primer for a while, and then i recently made the mistake of painting it. As soon as i was done painting it, i completely changed my mind on a lot of things. I want the trd kit now, i want a sparco gas door, i wanna do this and that. So basically i wasted money on paint. I'm very indecisive when it comes to modding my car. I like one thing one day, and then hate it the next. I have this idea in my head of what I want it to look like, but it changes every now and then. i'll eventually get it to where i want it to be, but until then, i will be rockin the primer. so that means that my urethane drift front is for sale.

Crystal-what kind of primer are you using? i'm looking for black primer and really like the way your car looks. what brand is it and where can i get it?

OK, i have to ask.... then why is your entire car back into primer? Couldn't you have left most of it / all of it painted until you do switch out the kit?

-----------
Words that you can't use in modding: Finished, Perfect, Cheap.
Thursday, September 08, 2005 3:24 PM
Because of the people that want to b!tch about half primer half painted cars. That's why he is back in primer.

Thursday, September 08, 2005 4:53 PM
Crystal(CrazyCavGirl) OR Jacob wrote:Because of the people that want to b!tch about half primer half painted cars. That's why he is back in primer.

Who's bitching? Settle down, it was a serious question. He said he wants to get a lot of new stuff. but he said his car is in primer again, and his sig shows it in primer with all his stuff he said was painted. I'm scratching my head wondering why it's not still painted. You can get a new body kit, test fit it, take it off, still have your old painted body kit on. Then wait til you get cash to get the new kit painted.... get my idea now?

-----------
Thursday, September 08, 2005 5:01 PM
I'm not saying that you were bitching....I'm just saying that in general, it would not look AS good to have a car half primered / half painted than to just have the whole car primered in one color.

Maybe the pic is his sig is old? Maybe he has done some work to it that we can't see (gas lid?)? Maybe he just wanted to back in primer cause he knew it was inevitable...? I'm sure he can answer that, though.

Believe me, I'm no fan of primer. I can't WAIT to have mine painted. But as much as I plan on spending on actual paint, I'd better make sure that it's gonna stay that way. And I'm as indecisive as alias1429 says he is. If I'm not completely happy w/it, it's not gonna get paint, that's all there is to it. And I'm a long way from being happy w/mine right now. Much, much more work to be done.

Thursday, September 08, 2005 5:11 PM
I don't blame you for not painting it if you don't like it. I saw the kit I got in person on a friends of mines cavalier before I ordered it, so I painted it when it came in. things looks different online in pics

-----------
Thursday, September 08, 2005 5:17 PM
Well, also, when you plan on doing a lot of custom things, you don't know what it's going to look like until it's done. Sometimes you get things and then you're like, that hood doesn't look right w/those fenders or that front bumper sits lower than the rear bumper. Just some stuff you don't know about until it's too late.

And then after a while, I get tired of things. For instance, I loved my front and rear bumpers when I got them. Now I can't stand them. Plus I can't stand it if I see a lot of people in my area w/the same things as me. I know I can't be so totally different that I won't resember anyone else, but I want something very different from the norm.

Anyways, maybe one day, hopefully, I'll get it figured out. I was happy w/my old kandy green cav except I wished I had done more shaving (locks, handles, etc) to it before I had painted it.

Thursday, September 08, 2005 5:27 PM
I see what you mean with stuff lining up, with mix and match kits. No way to really know about that stuff ahead of time. I know in my area I rarely see J's with anything at all done to them. You can't get tired of shaved inner tail lights though, I love that look.

-----------
Friday, September 09, 2005 4:45 AM
Derek724 wrote:OK, i have to ask.... then why is your entire car back into primer? Couldn't you have left most of it / all of it painted until you do switch out the kit?

i'm gonna put the entire car back in primer because i am not happy with the way the paint turned out. this was my first attempt at actually painting a car, i've practiced on other things and done pretty well. well i painted it, and decided that i hated how it looked. i was tired of my current kit and found a really good deal on the trd kit, which i have wanted since the day it came out. so now i'm gonna go with the trd kit, probably add a sparco gas door and i don't know what else. i just think its easier to have the whole car in primer, since i change my mind so often. it does seem like a waste of time and money, but i love working on my car, and learning how to do things better at the same time. a lot of you might say that its a waste of this and that, or that i should let professionals do it, but i'm one of those people that has to try everything at least once. i don't get mad when people say they don't like my car, really i could care less about others opinions. basically it comes down to whether i'm happy with it or not. and right now, i really like the look of primer on my cavalier.

Friday, September 09, 2005 6:52 AM
alias1429 wrote:i just think its easier to have the whole car in primer, since i change my mind so often. it does seem like a waste of time and money, but i love working on my car, and learning how to do things better at the same time. a lot of you might say that its a waste of this and that, or that i should let professionals do it, but i'm one of those people that has to try everything at least once. i don't get mad when people say they don't like my car, really i could care less about others opinions. basically it comes down to whether i'm happy with it or not. and right now, i really like the look of primer on my cavalier.

You pulled those words right outta my mouth, didn't you????

Friday, September 09, 2005 9:04 AM
the TRD kit will look 10000X better than the drift and type J sides. When i had a cavalier instead of my sunfire I would have bought the TRD kit, but it wasn't out so I couldn't.

-----------
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search