What do you hate about the Js? - Page 5 - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: What do you hate about the Js?
Thursday, July 08, 2010 7:05 PM
Funny to bring the cobalt into this. The main thing I hate about the delta is the main thing I hate about the j's, the retarded rear suspension. I mean its a front wheel drive car is it really that hard to through a double a arm or multilink back there, I mean even 80's civics had an independent rear suspension. Now with how ours is setup we gain camber in the oposite direction that we want to. It really grinds my gears (that's a misnomer, the grinding noise you hear from your gearbox is actually the synchros).

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer

Thursday, July 08, 2010 7:44 PM
i hate a good amount of things here and there. but i have had a cavalier since i joined the military and i have drove it from texas to california many many times and all over the united states. i have raced with them over and over again. drove to a 1/4 strip ran the crap out of it and drove home. and i just drove from california to texas. no major problems ever. little things here and there. i trust my cavalier on any road trip.
Friday, July 09, 2010 2:23 AM
I have been hearing about the dash cracks, but I never had a crack yet in the dash. I don't even clean or use armor all. I will complain about the door panels cracking on the lower part, right above the cubbyholes... but ONLY complaint with the car.

Sunday, July 11, 2010 7:47 PM
Leafy wrote:It really grinds my gears (that's a misnomer, the grinding noise you hear from your gearbox is actually the synchros).

No, it's really the gears. The synchros are failing to match the gear speeds and the teeth are moving against each other when you try and shift.
Saturday, August 28, 2010 3:06 PM
For every nice looking, well maintained J, theres 45,000 that are beaters, riced and rat bagged. Just a thought.

Saturday, August 28, 2010 4:54 PM
freelancer1988 wrote:I have been hearing about the dash cracks, but I never had a crack yet in the dash. I don't even clean or use armor all. I will complain about the door panels cracking on the lower part, right above the cubbyholes... but ONLY complaint with the car.

lol thats cuz you have a 95. most 95's snaked off without the dash issue. no idea why.

Oldsmobile all motor > Saab/Opel boosted
Saturday, August 28, 2010 7:34 PM
z yaaaa wrote:
freelancer1988 wrote:I have been hearing about the dash cracks, but I never had a crack yet in the dash. I don't even clean or use armor all. I will complain about the door panels cracking on the lower part, right above the cubbyholes... but ONLY complaint with the car.

lol thats cuz you have a 95. most 95's snaked off without the dash issue. no idea why.

No his dash isnt cracked because he doesnt use armor all. Any cleaner/protector with alcohol in it will weaken plastic (well technically de-plasticize [yes thats a real word] it). Armorall protectant is what causes plastic dash cracks, or at least makes them more frequent.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Sunday, September 05, 2010 10:58 PM
No complaints here.Short 205,000 miles,still runs great and has some real metal.As for the armor comment my dash in my cav (25 yrs old) and my daily a 87 mazda trk bought new have lots of armor all on them and not ONE dash crack! I'm thinking that mythe is just that.Plain and yet so simple.

Monday, September 06, 2010 8:03 AM
Leafy wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:

No his dash isnt cracked because he doesnt use armor all. Any cleaner/protector with alcohol in it will weaken plastic (well technically de-plasticize [yes thats a real word] it). Armorall protectant is what causes plastic dash cracks, or at least makes them more frequent.

you got scientific proof of this or are you just floating it?

ive had my 95 dash (i swapped it 4 years ago) in my 98 and i have kept a coat of armoral on it this entire time, no issues. now granted my experience is just of but one... i dont see how a 'protectant' is going to harm the dash though, sorry.

I feel like taking a tinkle on an ecNOtec...
Friday, September 17, 2010 1:08 PM
The dash crack was an issue because from the factory, the center dash bolt was torqued down too much putting extra stress on the already rigid piece. It's happened to both my 2000 and 2002 Cavaliers. If it hasn't happened to you yet to the typically-affected years, I'd suggest doing yourself a favor and disassemble the dash and loosen that bolt a tad. It's a pain in the butt to deal with after it's happened.

Friday, September 24, 2010 7:58 AM
Ive owned several J's for 8 years now....

Pro's-

Cheap to acquire and cheap to maintain
The incredible amount of exchangeable parts between the Cavalier and Sunfire... hence the CavFire (and the fact you can take a 95 crappy base model and make it look like an 02 LS sport)
The aftermarket support (to those saying there isn't any, open your damn eyes and search a bit)
Descent power for there class (not talking about the 2.2 ohv, those things are turds)
When replacing factory radio deck on a 2000+ J-body and it getting rid of the most annoying door chimes ive ever heard in my life

Con's-

Rear drums (seriously, and as a mechanic, i @!#$ hate drum brakes)
That union in the brake line in the rear of the car (the one above the fuel tank) yeah that stupid thing rots out on every J-body ive seen and owned.
The lighting system (i have never had so many problems than that of the exterior lighting system on a J-body)
Oil filter placement on the 2.2 OHV... Thanks GM
Coil pack placement on the 2.2 OHV.... another thanks GM
The infamous dash crack
The extremely thin metal on the exterior, i swear a marshmallow can dent these things
Window motors are garbage
rocker rot
The design of the fuel filter (because if the @!#$ before you never changed it, its impossible to get the damn thing off)

But i still love my J

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 8:37 AM
the only thing i truly hated about my Cavalier was the radio bezel, I have never seen one so incredibly hard to remove since.

Other than that, my 95 Z was just about perfect. But the quality of it really pales in comparison to my current 95 Caddy....

"I did it because I wanted to see what it would look like. You should be greatful that I even told you that it would look good. If your to dumb to use photoshop and change the color of your own car then you don't need to see it changed. I'm not going to give my work away. I'll sell the pic to you though for $15."-Adam Kalin

^^JBO is about not being that guy
Wednesday, September 29, 2010 9:53 AM
Chris Rogerson wrote:the only thing i truly hated about my Cavalier was the radio bezel, I have never seen one so incredibly hard to remove since.

Umm, they are actually pretty easy to remove...

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 1:43 PM
Leafy wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:

BS. I have a Dash that says otherwise.

FU Tuning

Thursday, September 30, 2010 1:12 PM
I hate my getrag differential, my wheel bearings and my headlights

Re: REPLY
Wednesday, October 06, 2010 2:26 AM
only thing i hate are the seats, they force me to slouch, no lower back support.
its a fwd 4cylinder, dont know why ppl expect them to rotate the bone stock or with just a intake and exhaust.
Wednesday, October 06, 2010 8:39 AM
I had to change the title back.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 9:59 AM
What did I hate about my Js?

1) My Sunfire's trunk unlock button was too sensitive. My cat stepped on it one night, and we had some @!#$ get stolen out of the trunk of the car. I wouldn't say the car was parked far away, but at least 50 feet or more.
2) My old wagon was sloppy as hell to drive even with new shocks/struts.
3) RUST.
4) That 3 speed auto is one of my least favourite transmissions of all time.
5) The noise the 2.2 TBI made. It was raucous and made a big deal out of nothing. People thought I had a fart can on the back, but it was just the stock exhaust note.
6) Blue interiors. WTF?

The worst thing about this car was having to go to the dealer for parts. If NAPA or S&S didn't have what I needed, I had to go to the dealer, and our local dealer SUCKS. Its not really a problem with the car, but its something that I could have avoided if I had a different car. They don't let you park at the dealership except the four spots reserved for body shop customers, and the mechanics get pissed off at you if you walk across the garage to get to the parts dept that you'd otherwise have to walk around the whole facility to get to.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Wednesday, October 20, 2010 8:23 PM
What do I hate?
Those D%#@ strut mounts...or motor mounts....or tie rod ends...or whatever it is that makes my suspension go "Pop!" under acceleration, deceleration, and low speed turns.

The entire dash...not just that strip under the windshield. The area around my cigarette lighter is cracked. Everytime I push the lighter in, I wonder if it's gonna break loose. The plastic showing under the vinyl at the hump over the guage bezel....cracked there too. The plastic between the vents and the radio? Cracked. Oh and the strip under the windshield.

I can't turn my traction control off without my car bitching at me?

The fact the middle of the back seat will reduce a human tailbone to mush

The fact that in the three years I've owned the car I've replaced the transmission pan gasket FOUR TIMES (Only when the weather changes.)

The 2.2 OHV engine has weak bearings. With only 77K on the engine, full synthetic it's whole life, and me only put 12K on the car since i've owned it (That's WITH driving too and from school every weekend. So, it's mostly highway stuff.), and the engine is developing a tock/knock under any throttle on a cold engine...plus it burns almost a quart between changes...77k and the engine needs rebuilt? Schyeah....motorswap in the making.

the rear brakes don't exist and the front brakes suck....60+mph downhill, and the brakes overheat and go SOOPUH SPONGE= Oh S#!% moment

But mostly just the transmission gasket and the whole freakin dash cracking!!
Sunday, October 24, 2010 1:38 PM
^^^ check sway bar/bushings

Monday, October 25, 2010 11:41 AM
Dash crack and how expensive it was to buy a peice of plastic to fit over it.

Monday, January 21, 2013 3:29 PM
The gas filler location. Consider that the gas island represents the median of a roadway, I am forced to drive on the wrong side of it, creating issues with many other drivers as I violate the established traffic pattern in the United States.
Monday, January 21, 2013 8:30 PM
I am back, just bought my second Cavalier

first was a white 03 LS 4-door, with all the goodies.. bought it for $1700, sold it for $2400.. six weeks later... ka-ching... June/July 2012

when I had the white 4-door for sale, everyone wanted a non white 2-door

drove a 98 Grand Marquis 5 months (my third).. flipped it for a profit, and got an 05 base Cavalier coupe, silver,, sunroof, and 16 inch alloys..

I am thinking when August rolls around, the coupe will be in demand for new teen drivers, or students going off to college

good paint, one small dent above RR tire, interior and trunk look like new.. and 174,000 miles.

I am awaiting my personalized plate to be made.. FLIPR since I "flip" cars for a hobby.

So far, I love J-bodies
Monday, January 21, 2013 9:28 PM
I bought my J cause it was cheap, decent on gas, been very reliable so far and I don't baby it, pretty fun to drive for a car less than $2400.

Things I don't like
-have to take apart half the dash to change the stereo
-factory headlights suck, 95% of my driving is in the city so no need to spend any money upgrading.
-my cell phone charger/radar detector cords pop out of cig lighter plug. I bought a dual outlet accessory plug and mount it under the dash on pass side and works great.
-seats are ugly but I think they are pretty comfy for a cheap car, I do miss my recaro's in my cobalt though
-huge wheel gap in rear, dont want to dump a ton of money in the car but wish the rear was atleast an inch lower from factory.
-no turbo or AWD

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 8:32 AM
i dont have much to hate on. 2003 ecotec 5sp. 1100 bucks and a full tank of gas. had decent tires too! The car has been mine for just over a year, (was a year in august) i have put almost 100k, and only dealt with maintenance issues.

but i have to agree, cracked dash and the whole disassemble the dash thing are a pain!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search