New Classifieds - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New Classifieds
Thursday, August 26, 2010 6:26 PM
Our new and improved (if something can be both new and improved at the same time) classifieds system is now up and running. It is still very much beta code, and may have bugs in it. Also, there are a number of features that have not yet been implemented. I felt it was important to get this up as soon as possible, and add those features later.

http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/

Since this is beta, and there are most likely bugs, this post is here to compile a list of those bugs. If you find any problems while using the new classifieds, please post them here. If the bug is security related, please email or PM me.

At this time the classifieds is not yet integrated with the regional forums, as I promised. That is coming over the next few days. Once that happens, for-sale ads will not be allowed in the forums themselves.

I will also be adding image uploading in the near future.

At this time non-premium members are only able to post one ad in the classifieds at a time. To address the problem of having multiple items to sell, I am considering adding a "sub-premium membership" for a reduced price that gives access to the classifieds only. I'll leave this up for discussion.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Thursday, August 26, 2010 6:34 PM

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Re: New Classifieds
Thursday, August 26, 2010 6:35 PM
Just checked it out and it looks good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, August 26, 2010 6:55 PM

Thursday, August 26, 2010 6:51 PM
looks good dave.

Thursday, August 26, 2010 6:57 PM
win..

Thursday, August 26, 2010 7:07 PM
Rock on, great idea.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Thursday, August 26, 2010 7:18 PM
dear god ive been waiting for this!!!!!!!!!!! ive always wanted to be able to have forum style classifieds here. VERY nice upgrade, dave!

A+ from this guy.

Oldsmobile all motor > Saab/Opel boosted
Thursday, August 26, 2010 7:24 PM
Dave on December 10th, 2006 wrote:Weekends are a blast here on the JBO, are they not? It goes something like this...
1. I make a significant update to the code.
2. I test, and it all seems to work great.
3. I leave for a hockey game (or some other event that will take up many hours).
4. I come home to realize I didn't test other sections of the site, and had inadvertently broken them.
5. It finally gets fixed, hours later.

i think since you pointed this out, we should all see it !!

Thursday, August 26, 2010 8:27 PM
moar bugs

[23:28] <MissJ> the smileys dont work in the posts and i cant edit the posts
[23:28] <MissJ> in the glassifieds
[23:28] <%TheSundownFire> hahahaha
[23:28] <MissJ> classifieds
[23:29] <%TheSundownFire> it doesnt auto place a line after the post before the sig
[23:29] <%TheSundownFire> just saying
[23:29] <%TheSundownFire> he wanted to know bugs
[23:29] * ~Speedline02 found a bug
[23:29] <~Speedline02> you cant quote in the classifieds --- Phorum error

Thursday, August 26, 2010 8:27 PM
Do classified replies count against the monthly post limit for nonpremi members?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Thursday, August 26, 2010 8:33 PM

Thursday, August 26, 2010 8:38 PM
Using it right now! So much win...

Friday, August 27, 2010 12:02 AM
Speedline02 (GME Chat!!) wrote:[23:28] <MissJ> the smileys dont work in the posts and i cant edit the posts

Smileys fixed. Edit will be fixed at a later date.

Speedline02 (GME Chat!!) wrote:[23:29] <%TheSundownFire> it doesnt auto place a line after the post before the sig

Fixed.

Speedline02 (GME Chat!!) wrote:[23:29] <~Speedline02> you cant quote in the classifieds --- Phorum error

Part of a bigger problem that will be fixed eventually. For now I have removed the quote button. It will be back soon.

TheSundownFire (GME Chat) wrote:Do classified replies count against the monthly post limit for nonpremi members?

No.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about

Friday, August 27, 2010 12:28 AM
New classifieds are a HUGE improvement! Win all around!

Friday, August 27, 2010 4:18 AM
Loving the new classifieds!

Friday, August 27, 2010 5:37 AM
would there be a way to blow up the text a bit? it all seems a bit small to me...

Oldsmobile all motor > Saab/Opel boosted
Friday, August 27, 2010 6:10 AM
Looks good Dave. I like this feature.

Friday, August 27, 2010 6:12 AM
I approve of this Mr DDO

I <3 JGM
I think bigfoot is blurry,
that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry. And that's extra
scary to me. There's a large, out-of-focus monster, roaming the countryside.
"Run! He's fuzzy!" "Get outta here!"

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005

Friday, August 27, 2010 7:06 AM
Nice!! I love this!

RIP JessE -- You are not forgotten! | FaceBook | G+
Friday, August 27, 2010 7:27 AM
so, without just making a random few posts or an ad for myself, is there a feature that will allow us to know if someone has posted in our ad? i think it would be great if we could receive a PM when someone posts in our classified so we will be sure to not miss it. either use the same format as when we are subscribed to a thread (only with a PM instead of an email) or just have a link to the ad with some blanket message saying that we had a reply.

also, when you say you are integrating it into the regions, you mean that just the ME classifieds will show up in the ME forum, right? will this be shown as individual posts in the thread list itself, or will it be a small preview section of say the last 5 or so ads at the top or bottom of the page, or will there just be a link that says 'classifieds' at the top like our subforums do now? my preference would be complete integration into the thread list itself, but since you probably arent doing that i at least hope for the previewable section.

and finally...will this eventually grow to be a cross-forum section too? i know Js dont share too many interchangeable parts with makes from your other sites, but there are plenty of other things that arent car specific that would have an advantage for the seller if it were listed on other forums such as rims or audio or nitrous that have no specific make or even ecotec engine parts or the cars themselves.

anyway you slice it....kudos.

z yaaaa wrote:would there be a way to blow up the text a bit? it all seems a bit small to me...

just hit CTRL and + if you are using ff

Friday, August 27, 2010 8:05 AM
Awesome. Best improvement I can remember

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Friday, August 27, 2010 8:32 AM
(tabs) wrote:so, without just making a random few posts or an ad for myself, is there a feature that will allow us to know if someone has posted in our ad? i think it would be great if we could receive a PM when someone posts in our classified so we will be sure to not miss it. either use the same format as when we are subscribed to a thread (only with a PM instead of an email) or just have a link to the ad with some blanket message saying that we had a reply.

At the moment you can check email replies when you are posting (or editing) the ad itself. Someday in the future I'll be adding a subscription feature for the forums, and I'll include it there too. It is a long way off though.

(tabs) wrote:also, when you say you are integrating it into the regions, you mean that just the ME classifieds will show up in the ME forum, right? will this be shown as individual posts in the thread list itself, or will it be a small preview section of say the last 5 or so ads at the top or bottom of the page, or will there just be a link that says 'classifieds' at the top like our subforums do now? my preference would be complete integration into the thread list itself, but since you probably arent doing that i at least hope for the previewable section.

Complete integration is just not possible. There of course will be a link at the top. But I'm also going to put a preview area like you said. If there are more ads then the preview window allows for then it will randomly pull ads so all ads have a chance of showing up on the main region page at some times.

(tabs) wrote:and finally...will this eventually grow to be a cross-forum section too?

it already is cross-forum. In order to post ads on other sites you have to go into your control panel and edit your subscriptions. You can only post ads on those sites you are subscribed to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, August 27, 2010 8:33 AM

Friday, August 27, 2010 9:37 AM
Dave wrote:
(tabs) wrote:and finally...will this eventually grow to be a cross-forum section too?

it already is cross-forum. In order to post ads on other sites you have to go into your control panel and edit your subscriptions. You can only post ads on those sites you are subscribed to.

but we can see the other forum's posts if they click the box to post it here, regardless of our own membership(s), correct? so i would have to join all your sites for my one classified to be seen by all and i can see all that are posted by other sites if they are also members here. gotcha.

Friday, August 27, 2010 9:57 AM
(tabs) wrote:but we can see the other forum's posts if they click the box to post it here, regardless of our own membership(s), correct? so i would have to join all your sites for my one classified to be seen by all and i can see all that are posted by other sites if they are also members here. gotcha.

Exactly.

You only have to sign up once on any GME site (currently the 3 linked at the top, more to come in the future) and you have access to all of them. Site subscriptions originally came about because people were upset that they would come up in a member search on one of the other sites. So I designed it so that you had to be subscribed to a site in order to be searchable on that site. Of course you can still go directly to someone's profile no matter what site you are on (since you can post, etc on a site without being subscribed to it). But you won't come up in a member search.

So I took what we already had, site subscriptions, and implemented it into classifieds. Its only fitting that I expand on site subscriptions. It only affects what you yourself see when you are posting an ad though. When viewing, you will see all ads for the site you are on, regardless of your own subscriptions.

Friday, August 27, 2010 12:40 PM
So the ad I posted for my wheels and tires last night isn't coming up in the classifieds, though it says its posted on my control panel. Help?

Friday, August 27, 2010 1:01 PM
Cavaclysmic wrote:So the ad I posted for my wheels and tires last night isn't coming up in the classifieds, though it says its posted on my control panel. Help?

It is coming up though. You only checked your region, so the ad only shows up when you click on your region. If you want it to show up in the wheel section also, you need to edit your ad and click the global checkbox too.

If you post something and select global, that means you can and will ship the item. Under no circumstances should you be posting an item that is for pickup only in the global classifieds. Likewise, if something is not available for local pickup, under no circumstances should you be posting it in your region(s).

I will be adding some text about this on the add item page soon. The moderators will be looking out for this, and will take appropriate action when necessary.

Friday, August 27, 2010 3:19 PM
Ha! didnt even notice the regional sections. Thanks again, this is a huge improvement over the old!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search