Electric Supercharger Testing! - Page 3 - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Electric Supercharger Testing!
Tuesday, May 14, 2013 8:32 AM
I made charts! Enjoy!!

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 8:38 AM
Looks like it's a great down-low kick-in-the-pants compliment to the M45.

They kind of help each others weaknesses...

Looking at the parts used and the time required to make the kit and machine the parts I just don't see that thing going for under $1200... I could be wrong though.

It's really too bad you couldn't get the car on the rollers for some real WHP proof, Kev.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Tuesday, May 14, 2013 8:51 AM
I believe that's about exactly the price point he's shooting for without the batteries, but don't quote me on that.

The big one is just about perfect with the M45 going. Look how flat that boost curve is!! The small one is a problem, as you can see it becomes a restriction at around 5500 rpm.

Looking at the graph with the M45 disabled, you'd think the big one would still be the better choice as the difference in boost at lower rpm's isn't much and it doesn't fall off near as much as the small one. In practice though, it just doesn't feel that way. The small one was more fun.

After talking to Rob, I found out why. The compressor wheel in the small one is significantly smaller and lighter, so it spins up faster. The boost kick comes on quicker and that makes a noticeable difference.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 11:02 AM
Ok... more data that kinda confirms my butt-dyno on the small vs. large one without the M45.

On acceleration, the small blower did nearly as well as the M45!

These are the elapsed time in seconds to do the 3rd gear pull in each scenario. You can take these numbers with a bit of a grain of salt as I couldn't begin to guess what slight variations there may have been among the different runs. All the runs were done on a highway onramp but where on the ramp I mashed the pedal could have been different so acceleration could have been affected a bit differently by gravity in each case. That said... the numbers are still quite telling!

First, with the M45 disabled:

Second, with the M45 enabled:

Thursday, June 20, 2013 12:21 PM
well ill be damned... lol never thought id see the day an electric blower actually worked!!! haha

kind of sucks that it becomes a restriction in the higher rpm's for the m45, though. still, has me curious as to if it'd be a neat addition to my setup or not. the curve isnt that bad at all. its nice and flat... i wonder if a larger tb would help?

what were your iat's doing during these runs? do you have any kind of meth injection system? what pulley setup are you running on your m45? what tb size do you have?

and lastly.. what it sound like? can you hear the little bastid spool up at all? lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, June 20, 2013 12:25 PM

M45/OS crank/2.4 snout. It's nice to be injected but I love being blown!
Friday, June 21, 2013 6:17 AM
I actually didn't log the IAT's at all. I don't have anything other than the blower and a larger TB. The pulley on my final logged numbers was a 2.7". The first runs where I hit over 10 psi were with the 2.6".

You mentioned the restriction at higher RPM's... note that this was only an issue with the smaller blower. For the bigger one, the efficiency curve is a little different so it made a bit lest boost on the low end, but it continued providing boost all the way to redline. There's no restriction at all, and just look what it did to the boost curve! I evened it out beautifully through the whole RPM range!

There's updated charts on my website: http://www.wildweasel.ca/HowTo/Auto/eturboTest.aspx

Saturday, June 29, 2013 5:33 PM
I very rarely subscribe to anything... but i'm subbing this... very impressive...

I wonder how this would work on a high compression N/A motor...

Sunday, June 30, 2013 8:47 PM
Monday, July 08, 2013 5:23 AM
49179-520 0 from the PHANTOM p/n FTS: TQ-25024V is a Misibishi Turbo charger housing. Has a 3" inlet. A Misti 20G turbo / tdo6/h. At least the cold side is..

The other housing is a 16G turbo.

Just thought I would share...

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, July 10, 2013 2:28 PM
seriously considering this on my m45.... for some reason i lost about 3-4 psi of boost since i got my cam timing correct. it was off a tooth. car feels just as strong but yeah, must have gotten more efficient? running LO cams.

M45/OS crank/2.4 snout. Now with 5 speed! It's nice to be injected but I love being blown!
Wednesday, March 12, 2014 8:27 PM
WW - still rocking the eCharger?

Thursday, March 13, 2014 7:40 AM
Yeppers! But I only drove with it for those 10 days I had the temp permit.

I'm planning on taking the car out properly this summer though, so I'll get a lot more seat time with it. Incidentally, the car will also be for sale.

All that aside... in the time between when I was playing with it and now, it's really taken off in the FRS/BRZ community.

Here's a 180+ page discussion on it. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39719

So it's the real deal!

Incidentally... my website is down at the moment and may not be back up until Saturday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, March 13, 2014 7:41 AM

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search