2.2 ecotec power? - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2 ecotec power?
Sunday, August 18, 2013 10:45 PM
Hello, I'm new here never posted before, I don't currently own a cavalier or sun fire but I have owned a '98 cavalier in the past. Anyway my question is that I'm looking into selling my truck and buy an '04 or an '05 cavalier with the 2.2 and manual trans (very plentiful in my area). I originally wanted an srt 4 but decided they were over priced. So if I buy a cavalier the first thing I would do is order the hahn stage II turbo kit for it. Does anyone know if the kit would make a noticable difference in power? I'm going into college and my silverado isn't cutting it with the milage I get from the lift and tires, I'm thinking this is a good alternative to an srt 4 minus the limited slip and other features, any input would be appreciated, I just don't want to spend all the money and be dissapointed

Re: 2.2 ecotec power?
Monday, August 19, 2013 8:38 AM
Putting the turbo on will definitely make you some noticeable power......but you'll need to get it tuned. Check out the Boost and Tuning sections of the forum, there is a lot of info there that you should find useful.

Monday, August 19, 2013 10:34 AM
I guess I was under the impression that the hahn kit included some kind of tuner, on their FaQ on their site it says they tune by air to fuel ratio, so your saying ill need to take it somewhere and have it tuned completely? Any ideas of how much that would cost?
Monday, August 19, 2013 12:44 PM
A lot. Furthermore, there aren't many people out there that know how to tune these cars properly; even if they are very reputable tuners.

If this car is going to be a daily driver I suggest a supercharger kit instead. I may be partial but they are pretty darn reliable and have a tuning option from gm. Before anyone jumps on me I'll say that a custom tune would be WAY better but the gm reflash pcm would at least get you going and be pretty reliable. As for power, I promise you'll be happy with it.

If you MUST go turbo, you could always look into the saab turbo kit. You'd probably be able to piece that setup together cheaper than a hahn kit. Some have used to supercharger reflashed pcm for this setup as well though I wouldn't really suggest it.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, August 19, 2013 2:21 PM
Alright well thank you for the information, I guess the hahn kit isn't as complete as they make it out to be, it would be used as a daily driver, but maybe ill rethink my route of going for an srt 4 again, thanks
Monday, August 19, 2013 5:57 PM
Hahn does give you directions to get it running just fine.

But it can be better with Hp tuners and a proper tune versus a fmu
Monday, August 19, 2013 6:14 PM
Yes. The Hahn kit is a great setup but you will make more power and safer if you have a competent tuner.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Monday, August 19, 2013 6:49 PM
I wouldn't be trying to build a bunch of horsepower I would keep stock internals but I'd just like to get it running good and still give the 230hp they claim on their website
Tuesday, August 20, 2013 4:24 AM
I think Hahn is way overpriced for what it is, especially considering it should still be tuned to really get the most out of it. What is the stage 2 kit...like $3000 for 230hp?

You can put together an m62 kit with extra cooling mods for half that price, and make the same power on a 3" pulley.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 4:31 AM
EVILution (KGMs FrankenCav) wrote:You can put together an m62 kit with extra cooling mods for half that price, and make the same power on a 3" pulley.

or a 3.1

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, August 20, 2013 8:51 AM
It does seem a bit high in price but I like the fact that for the most part it's all inclusive, I'm not anywhere near knowledgable with turbo systems to be able to slap together my own, and my dad is the one that would be helping me put it in, like I said I'm not looking to build a bunch of power, I just want a semi quick car that gets good gas milage to get me through my college years, hence why I wanna keep it realiable too, I did some research on some tuning shops here in minnesota and most of them don't seemed to be priced too bad

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 12:29 PM
If you want it to be a semi quick car with good mileage and reliability then I suggest the M62 kit as well. Can be found a put together for much less as long as you're patient and as said can hit 230hp no problem. the thing I like about the M62 route is it can be as simple or inclusive as you'd like. Form just the standard kit with re-flash to full cooling mods pulley and tune. And as said not all shops can tune these things. Most will say they can till you get them in there and they look at it and freak out.
Tuesday, August 20, 2013 1:12 PM
Where is the m62 kit available? I thought there was one site that had it but no longer offers it, so would I have to find all the parts then? And I emailed hahn and asked about tuning and they said with that kit all I would need to do is set my fuel pressure level and the directions gives all the information for doing so
Tuesday, August 20, 2013 1:46 PM
Cobaltss.net has kits all the time, its same kit thats used on ss cobalts and can be found for decent priced used. Im also in Minnesota and found charger and manifold for $450 from kid not far away, granted I have like 1200 into it now but also going with small pulley and all the cooling mods right away

FuzzMASTA9
Tuesday, August 20, 2013 2:47 PM
Yeah, keep an eye on Cobaltss.net, part outs all the time. There is also a member there by the name of Jeff Reiland (Mongorat), he has full kits all the time and is a great seller to work with.

Read through the ultimate m62 guide, I have full parts list, parts numbers, where to find certain pieces, upgrades, what you need to change from a cobalt kit to fit a J, etc.

Regardless of what hahn says (or anybody for that matter), I would in no way ever toss a boosted setup on my car and rely on an fmu alone...HUGE difference between raising fuel pressure and an actual tune. Biggest thing to keep in mind, is that our PCMs in no way read or understand boost, so the computer has no clue about the extra fuel demand, and when...plus their are so many different apsects to a tune as well...changing injector parameters, timing, fine tuning idle and low rpm driving (especially since you are using this as a DD, making sure you have no detonation, etc...like dozens of things that can't be done with just an fmu, but should be done to do it right.
Like said, the GM s/c reflash is good as a crutch if you have no other tuning options (it's buggy but people survive with it), but if you can find someone local or semi local that tunes with HPT and is familiar with the j-body pcm, that is the way to go for sure. You will get a much better end result, and an overall more well rounded car in terms of drive-ability.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 8:36 PM
I guess ill have to search around some more and see if anyone does hpt, I know the supercharger kit is cheaper and allot easier to configure, but I think a turbo would be pretty cool, and the s/c reflash doesn't sound like a bad idea, ill have to look into that more, thanks allot for all the info guys I appreciate it
Wednesday, August 21, 2013 1:28 AM
Jeff actually has an m62 kit listed on eBay right now, $735 shipped. Then you just need a throttle body adapter to run a J body tb, and a heat exchanger setup. And you can probably sell the LSJ throttle body for $50 to put towards the odds and ends you'd need.

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=171105245482

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search