2.4 cobalt ls engine on 1996 chevy cavalier - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.4 cobalt ls engine on 1996 chevy cavalier
Wednesday, April 08, 2015 7:54 PM
I would like to know which modifications have to be done or if its possible to fits that engine on the cavalier.

Thanks in advance and I really appreciate any help!

Re: 2.4 cobalt ls engine on 1996 chevy cavalier
Wednesday, April 08, 2015 8:09 PM
The answers are all here. You'll need to run an external crank trigger wheel because that motor has a different style than the stock motor. You'll also have to run the stock l61 2.2 head or cobalt lsj 2.0 head because the jbody pcm can't control the le5(2.4) VVT. Use those key words to search for more info, happy hunting.

Check this thread out too:
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=484958&t=484958

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, April 08, 2015 8:10 PM
It is technically possible but it will cost a lot of money and be very labor intensive. It would be somewhat easier to swap in the 2.4 from a Z24. But either way it's gonna cost.
Wednesday, April 08, 2015 8:11 PM
Oh yeah, since you're running a 96 you'll have to re-wire the car to the tail lights to run an ecotec motor in a model year that it wasn't offered and because it's pre 2000.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, April 08, 2015 10:58 PM
Y3llowCav wrote:Oh yeah, since you're running a 96 you'll have to re-wire the car to the tail lights to run an ecotec motor in a model year that it wasn't offered and because it's pre 2000.

I never quite understood that. If you can run an ecotec on a ld9 harness what is stopping you from running it on a ld9 harness on an ecotec onpre 2000. If ithe icm then you should be able to use a ln2 ignition setup.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Friday, May 15, 2015 9:32 PM
Hold the phone...wont he have to rewire the whole car, ie: the entire chassis wiring harness...1996 was a weird year, some are obd1, others are a weird obd1 obdII hybrid....I seem to remember it being not easy, I had a 1996 OHV and I was looking into swapping a 2.4L or other engines.

Don't buy from MANTAPART!!
There is no easy ways to get HP, no magic box or gizmo... And if you get more hp, there's no way to make your car still behave and sound like a stock one. More hp usually makes your car louder, more vibrations and harder to drive...but still people hope or think maby there's some magic way to have it all, comfort, stock sound and drive.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search