Matt Linke, you still out there? - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Matt Linke, you still out there?
Wednesday, October 21, 2015 7:07 PM
Curious to know how your car is holding up on e85 still, I know it's been a while...

Re: Matt Linke, you still out there?
Thursday, October 22, 2015 4:41 AM
I'm still around once in a while.

I actually broke the car lol. I wound out third and went to grab 4, which somehow turned out to be 2nd. I think I spun a cam bearing. I had the motor apart like 8 times and the only think I couldn't remove was the cam and ALL of the internals looked fine but it had a persistent knock.

As for e85, it was never an issue. Always drove great and had perfect lambda

I upgraded to a '13 5.0 mustang. I promptly put it on e85 as well and I have no issues there either

I've often considered another beater j cause I have a manifold turbo and injectors and pump and some leftover parts around. But I can't justify the money for a car yet. And if I did it itd be e85 all over again.

if you're considering running it I would not hesitate. I even started mine and drove it in winter when it wasn't too snowy and it was like normal. The few -30 days we had last year even with the knock my car fired right up on like 2 cranks after sitting out in a snow bank.

I miss that car sometimes. Buuut the mustang is juuust about as fast. It's trapping 1-2mph slower and it's basically stock with tune so I guess I don't miss it THAT much lol

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Thursday, October 22, 2015 5:40 AM
Wow man that sucks but is great at the same time, new cars are always fun especially a performance car. Sucks to hear about your cav. I guess we all have to move on sometime to bigger and better things but I'm not done with mine yet. At this point I do plan on running e85, the only thing that makes me nervous is reading posts on here from oldschool, quick ln2, addicted to meth. They all say not to do it and that it shouldn't be done and that the car will melt down from it eventually. Thats why I was curious how your car had held up after some time, good to hear you don't think it was e85 related
Thursday, October 22, 2015 7:10 AM
i dont want to ruffle feathers l at all. But to say e85 will ruin these cars in any way shape or form is not the case. Tuned properly and making well over 400whp mine didn't suffer fuel related issues. The motor still ran when I broke it and it wasn't a tune related issue at all. The trans got muddy around 7k when I shifted and it just went into the wrong gear.

Don't be nervous.

Pretend it's 93. Tune the ve for the lambda you want, and you're good.

If you think in terms of afr that's where most people fall apart and why it "can't work" etc.

We forced open loop and tuned drivability for 1.0 lambda and then PE was I forget what lambda.

It's basically the same as tuning for a new fuel system. Which for power you'll need anyhow with 93 or e85.

Just know it will not knock as easily as 93. On like 35psi mine was running 26* I think. No knock and I beat the TAR out of that car. Thing looked brand new when I pulled it apart every time.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Thursday, October 22, 2015 7:21 AM
Luckily the shop that will be tuning it is very familiar with e85 and they recommended it. Although I highly doubt they have ever tuned a jbody ecu I don't think it should be that hard for them because I basically just need the car to run like stock. maybe that is harder than it sounds... The extra injector setup will take care of the boost tuning. They recommended going with 9:1 compression but said I could probably do 10:1 if I were to run e85. I want to do 10:1 but if for any reason I decide not to run e85 then I'm now limited for 93 octane. What were you running for compression with your 35psi?
Thursday, October 22, 2015 8:59 AM
Matt Linke wrote:We forced open loop and tuned drivability for 1.0 lambda and then PE was I forget what lambda.
Now that is interesting. If i recall correctly everyone was trying to tune in close loop. I may remember it backwards, but I do not recall 100%.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, October 22, 2015 8:59 AM

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, October 22, 2015 10:01 AM
So you were forever in open loop?
Thursday, October 22, 2015 10:22 AM
Sorry no. I was unclear. Tuned for 1.0 in open loop, then renable closed loop

Getting 1.0 in open loop gives the feedback system less work to do lean/rich/lean/rich and the ltft on the car I believe we're zero or close to zero. (Basically it almost could drive flawlessly in OL but we used CL because e85 can be ins consistent and it worked in CL anyhow)

the car drove like stock till I got to PE but that is an alpha n issue not an e85 issue. I needed fuel for boost at certain points and I could hit those points outside of boost in PE. It was like 90% perfect though. Aggressive out of boost throttle in low gears it acted like it was on a two step lol. Higher load in higher gear it would spool up and be fine. This was a gt35 on an ln2 so I'm sure there was more lag than Better flowing heads have.

As for compression I forget. Stock ln2 compression. In the 9s. But my mustang is 11:1 and I may turbo it without worrying. 93 can be done with 10:1, just less timing or boost or a happy lesser medium of both.

The only factors one needs to know for e85 on a j specifically is having enough fuel system (the demand is higher, I ran 2 320lph pumps and 80s) and the resistance to knock is very high.

Stoich number means nothing, afr means nothing (outside of PE desired afr of course) "cold start" can be fixed, winter mix e85 doesn't matter or it didn't on mine (wideband didn't move much).

If you tune and think in lambda; it all makes more sense.

Thursday, October 22, 2015 11:15 AM
That makes perfect sense. Hopefully the pe fueling problems will be less of a problem in my setup since I have extra injectors on a seperate controller. I think I'm still going to drop the compression in the off chance my tuner can't do e85 that way I'll still be able to run 93 or add meth. I can't wait to get it going on e85, hopefully the walboro 255 inline pump is enough to get me where I want to be
Friday, October 23, 2015 3:49 AM
Matt Linke wrote:Stoich number means nothing, afr means nothing (outside of PE desired afr of course) "cold start" can be fixed, winter mix e85 doesn't matter or it didn't on mine (wideband didn't move much). .

This is my only real concern. Glad it worked out for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, October 23, 2015 3:49 AM

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Saturday, October 31, 2015 7:53 AM
E85 is awesome, as long as its available in your area, and you have a competent tuner, I say go for it. Over 500 WHP on my setup with it. As others said, as long as you tune for the right AFRs, you can only do right. In my case, I decided to get an ethanol content meter/gauge from Zeitronix, just to make sure i didnt get a weak or bad batch of fuel.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search