2005 sunfire fixer uper - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2005 sunfire fixer uper
Saturday, September 19, 2015 6:17 AM
Hey everyone
I found a 05 sunfire with 45000 miles. The car doesn't turn on and worst case scenario is that it needs an engine fix. I have never owned a gm sedan and I have heard gms 4 cylinders aren't as reliable as the v8 and v6s. I want to know if the engine on this car is good based on personal experience of people who own it. I heard some models have timing tensioner problems, is the 05 one of them?

Re: 2005 sunfire fixer uper
Monday, September 21, 2015 8:09 AM
Arka O wrote:Hey everyone
I found a 05 sunfire with 45000 miles. The car doesn't turn on and worst case scenario is that it needs an engine fix. I have never owned a gm sedan and I have heard gms 4 cylinders aren't as reliable as the v8 and v6s. I want to know if the engine on this car is good based on personal experience of people who own it. I heard some models have timing tensioner problems, is the 05 one of them?

Not really true...the Js older OHV 2.2s will go for a while...and while the early ecotec 2.2's (2002 and very early 03s_ had some tensioner issues, you get the newer stuff, and life will be good.

Without some more details, can't say too much yet about what's up there. I have both and 03 and 04 Cavalier and had nary an issue with the engine in the 11-12 years we have owned them.....

http://www.autorentalandsales.com/images/2004Cavalier005.JPG
Re: 2005 sunfire fixer uper
Thursday, October 06, 2016 10:27 AM
So my 91 I was given for free when all I was using to get around was my 06 Blast.
I got it with like 179,000, drove it to 253,000 till a guy drove out in front of me.
So I picked up a 98 Regal drove it till Dec 15, got in fender bender and let it go. so this spring I bought a 98, it was overheating slapped a t stat and new fan motor then sold it to my buddy with warning it might need headgasket, but it just needed waterpump and rad cap.
Now I have a 04 4dr, skipped timing chain, maybe some bent valves but wont know till tc set gets replaced.
It does have minor damage on left rear corner, and I need to replace tail lights as the left one is busted.
It only has 136k.
I will still need to do regular maintenance stuff, new tires etc. And it only cost me $250! $75 for TC set, $21 for some tail lights, and maybe a few more little things. Hoping it runs good for less than $500. Then Ill see about keeping and driving or selling to some lucky economy car wanting person and keep looking for a 04-06 Grand Prix (Had 05 GTP with bad engine given to me but didnt get moved quick enough so it was given to someone else). Heck I still miss my 98 Regal, for a $350 car,put $275 trans in, $133 in front tires, $17 tie rod end and drove for 2 1/2 yrs and other than couple of replaced mirrors and got rear ended which the guys F150 tow hook pocked hole in rear bumper and guy gave me $450 to not turn it into his insurance.
I have had some real good deals on cars in my life. Hope my luck continues.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search