The Cavi made it...300,000 miles :-) - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
The Cavi made it...300,000 miles :-)
Friday, October 13, 2017 8:19 AM
I have to say this car has been the best auto investment I've ever made. Bought it 10 years ago right at 100,000 miles for $3,000 dollars. Besides the normal starter, alternator, a main fuse, idle sensor, and a few other trivial things have needed replacing. The only major issue I had was the A/C system had to be replaced at one point. But that it. I love this little car!

2.2, 5 speed.
Attachments
image.jpeg (193k)
image.jpeg (136k)

Ipud wrote:We put Jap Traps on cinder blocks around here. We don't wave the American flag for novelty

I proudly own American cars, nothing else....

Re: The Cavi made it...300,000 miles :-)
Friday, October 13, 2017 11:00 AM
Nicely done!

Your car looks great. No rust visible on the lower quarter panel on the lower sides below the back seat window like I see on so many 2-doors which is very impressive. I don't see any clearcoat peel-off either. Did you take preventive steps to avoid this? You are in VA and not in the dry Southwest so I am genuinely impressed by this.

How is the underside looking for rust? My 99 has a fair amount of it towards the back in the body stiffeners and my fuel filler neck needed to be replaced due to rusting as well.

I have a 98 4-door with the 2.2LN2 and the Isuzu 5-speed but it is very low miles. (~27k - not a typo there)

My 99 LN2 has the 3T40 3-speed auto and has about 175k or so on it. It really winds the rpms at highway speed compared to 5th gear on the 98.

Brian
Friday, October 13, 2017 2:14 PM
Thanks Brian!

The car looks better now than when I first bought it. I did have some minor bodywork done a few years ago, (repaired lower quarters, and around the gas filler door). Those areas were ate up with rust as you say. Those areas were painted, cleared also. Their isn't any clear coat coming off probably because I wash and wax on a reg. basis. And yes, their is some rust issues on the rear frame rails. The real problem there is most likely due to the car was never under coated when new and driven around in Maryland for 7 years until I got it. I then under coated but the damage was already done. Still a great all around car!

Ipud wrote:We put Jap Traps on cinder blocks around here. We don't wave the American flag for novelty

Sunday, December 10, 2017 5:54 PM
00stickcavi wrote:I have to say this car has been the best auto investment I've ever made. Bought it 10 years ago right at 100,000 miles for $3,000 dollars. Besides the normal starter, alternator, a main fuse, idle sensor, and a few other trivial things have needed replacing. The only major issue I had was the A/C system had to be replaced at one point. But that it. I love this little car!

2.2, 5 speed.

well done! I just bought a 175k LD9 z and I am just waiting for it to grenade rod bearing 3 like my others.

Sunday, March 04, 2018 6:24 PM
Nice!

Still see many of those running, but not in the great shape that cav is.....

http://www.autorentalandsales.com/images/2004Cavalier005.JPG
Sunday, March 04, 2018 8:36 PM
Very impressive. I knew it was located in Virginia just by looking at the treeline and the paved driveway...haha
Sunday, March 11, 2018 7:09 PM
Ok, I'm a relative newb to Cavaliers.
I have a 2001 z24 with 135 k miles.
Previously owned by a teenage girl, need I say more?
It had the 100k service, but I had to fix lots of other stuff.

What's this stuff about the #3 rod bearing ???

The engine sounds fine to me with just a slight light to neutral load whine from the tranny in fourth and fifth gear.
Tuesday, March 13, 2018 7:56 AM
LOL. I remember this car. I did a photoshop of it for you a few years back when you wanted ideas on making it look better.

Friday, April 13, 2018 6:28 PM
Steve B. wrote:Ok, I'm a relative newb to Cavaliers.
I have a 2001 z24 with 135 k miles.
Previously owned by a teenage girl, need I say more?
It had the 100k service, but I had to fix lots of other stuff.

What's this stuff about the #3 rod bearing ???

The engine sounds fine to me with just a slight light to neutral load whine from the tranny in fourth and fifth gear.

The LD9 was notorious for blowing rod bearings. The oil system was nowhere as good as the older 2.3

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 3:32 PM
Mr. Quick wrote:LOL. I remember this car. I did a photoshop of it for you a few years back when you wanted ideas on making it look better.

Damn dude. You have a mind like a steel trap!
Quote:

[/quote ]

Thursday, May 31, 2018 9:23 AM
Congrats

That is pretty cool. I mean a lot of them never make it that far, due to neglect and/or abuse.
Keep it up nice and try for the half million mark.

Friday, June 01, 2018 11:07 AM
My 90 4 dr just passed 309,000 and I just had to replace a ball joint and wheel brg, both were original.
Saturday, June 30, 2018 9:35 PM
Very cool!

Wife's is about half way there.....

http://www.autorentalandsales.com/images/2004Cavalier005.JPG
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search