'89 LeMans - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
'89 LeMans
Saturday, May 13, 2017 6:39 PM
I know it is not a J body car but I'm looking for any help I can get. The car is a Vauxhall Astra mk2 from GMs Euro division and is just badge engineered. These cars came the 1.6 and 2.0 sohc L series engines that were used in the Sunbirds etc multiple over here. So I'm looking for a 2.0 and a 5 speed to swap in or at least do a 5 SPD swap and build a head for 1.6. Anyone here know anything about modding these engines? The car only has 66k original miles on it barely any rust.
Attachments
received_1455697087785552.jpeg (85k)
received_1455697094452218.jpeg (108k)

Re: '89 LeMans
Monday, May 15, 2017 8:54 PM
I seriously doubt you can find a 89 Pontiac lemans in any local junkyard.I will say trying to source a non desired car for a swap to your idea is not really logical.Not knocking your idea,but those cars were just cookie cutter and throw aways if they broke for the average owner.I am not being unrealistic but,trying to find a compatible swap and the time and even if was possible is not worth the time or cost in my honest opinion.You have a vehicle that was truly a run it until it stops and get rid of it.I have not seen one of these as far back as 2010(or before) on recall on my junkyard adventure's and have no idea if GM used components from there other GM products on the building of it.Sometimes it is better to leave things as they are as trying to convert something from 28 years ago is going to literally impossible to retro fit as GM stopped support for a lot of the 1st gen stuff back in the late 90's.And the J's sold far more in volume and far more popular.I am not downing your idea but,really I would just leave the car as it is,as the idea you have is really unrealistic as the parts and or conversions are probably not even still out there.I will say I have No knowledge of this vehicle and or parts but as I think a 88-93 production it just ended up in the junkyards and done.I own a 85 cav and even finding parts for it can be a real pain even today!Keep it original and enjoy it as it is.It probably is not worth much in real $ as my cav is either but,keep it stock and done.Just my take and I in know way means to be rude,or disrespectful about your car.OK

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search