Mist for window washer not working - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Mist for window washer not working
Tuesday, August 25, 2020 12:06 PM
Hi all. I have a 1989 Pontiac Sunbird LE that is in great shape LOL!
I'm not getting any window washer fluid on my window when I push the wash button.
I have just replaced my interior wiper switch with a new one & put power to my wiper washer motor and it work (sprayed washer fluid onto the windshield).
The fuse looks good, also any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards ~
Stephen J. Thompson
Thompson Creative Ink.
T: 902-367-1749 F: 510-372-9706
E: sthompson@thompsoncreativeink.com
Skype Name: stephentci
URL: www.thompsoncreativeink.com
Bechance: https://www.behance.net/Stephenadobe
URL: www.stephenthompsonartist.com
Attachments
Screenshot at Aug 25 16-05-10.png (1935k)
Screenshot at Aug 25 16-02-29.png (44k)

Re: Mist for window washer not working
Tuesday, August 25, 2020 4:31 PM
You have the ignition switch in the RUN position when bushing the Washer button. I feel sure you do, but just wanted to asked. Sometimes simple little things like that get overlooked.
Do you have a multimeter or a test light? Or even an old 12v pigtail with a good bulb in it.
I'd check for voltage at the connector end that plugs into the washer pump motor. You should have12v there when the button is pushed.
Thursday, August 27, 2020 4:38 PM
I have applied voltage and I think it's OK may be a bit low maybe it's just a matter of a dirty ground or contact somewhere.
Maybe I might replace the pump? What is the best way to test the pump?
Video also: https://youtu.be/mAmtmyk6b58
Attachments
Screenshot at Aug 27 20-37-07.png (857k)
Screenshot at Aug 27 20-35-59.png (890k)

Friday, August 28, 2020 1:47 AM
Are you sure the multimeter is getting good connection on the wire connector terminals?
To test the pump, you can apply power to the two terminals on it. Just unplug the connector from the pump and run a couple wires from the battery to the pump. It should run, if it is good.
Friday, August 28, 2020 6:33 AM
Hi Butch. Yes the probes for my tester were pushed right in. I did apply power to the pump and it did squirt fluid onto the windshield.
Friday, August 28, 2020 2:29 PM
Stephen Thompson wrote:I did apply power to the pump and it did squirt fluid onto the windshield.

Did you jump both the + and - from the battery to the pump, or just the + from battery to the pump?

Here is the 89 Body wiring from v6z24. Your Sunbird is probably quite similar.
https://www.v6z24.com/gallery/service/Wiring_Diagrams/44+-+Body+wiring+diagram+-+1989+vehicles.gif.html
Check the ground for the pump, especially if you used both the battery + and - to jump the pump. If all seems good there, I'll see if I can find anything on it in the service manuals, either tomorrow afternoon or Sunday.
Thursday, September 03, 2020 2:03 PM
I知 really dumbfounded as to what痴 going on here I知 getting at least 12 V to the connector and when I apply power while putting the red from the red terminal to the red side of the pump and the negative to the negative side of the pump it squirts juice so in theory everything should be working if I get power at the connector and at the pump. Maybe it痴 just a connector something insides faulty the bracket that holds a tight is broken so maybe I should just replace the connector.
Thursday, September 03, 2020 4:05 PM
Stephen Thompson wrote:Maybe it痴 just a connector something insides faulty the bracket that holds a tight is broken so maybe I should just replace the connector.
Could be. You could try bending the pins just a little to insure a good solid contact. Just a slight binding when you connect the terminals is all you want.

You can also use a small pick, a tiny flat blade screwdriver, very small nail, whatever will fit, to make the gap closer on the wire end terminals. The one with the wires on it, that plugs into the pump.They act kinda like a spring and if the tension gets weak, they might not be making a solid contact. If you look close one side of the plug is like a loop. Stick the pick into the side of the loop and spread it out some. This will make the contact with the pins in the pump tighter. Hope this picture helps it make sense.
Attachments
Pump connector.jpg (158k)

Thursday, September 03, 2020 4:14 PM
butch nackley wrote:whatever will fit, to make the gap closer on the wire end terminals.
Let me clarify. You will make the gap in the loop LARGER, thus bringing that side of the loop closer to the other part inside the connector. If you look down in it, you will see where the pin in the pump goes between the loop and another contact point. You are wanting to bring the loop side closer to the flat side, making the pump pin fit tight.
Friday, September 04, 2020 9:31 AM
I had a friend help me yesterday and I bared the two wires and touch them directly to the pump and still no luck so I知 really confused I don稚 even think a new connecter will work.
Friday, September 04, 2020 1:35 PM
I have booked an appointment with the dealer to have the car safety and I値l probably have to let them fix it. But I am going to try one last thing I知 going to attach the wires with alligator clips and directly connect to the terminals in the washer pump and see what happens.

Friday, September 04, 2020 3:14 PM
Good luck.
One thing I didn't think of, the pulse wiper board. I don't know if it controls the washer or not. I haven't had time to dig around in the books. But the dealer can test to find out exactly what is wrong.
Friday, September 04, 2020 6:34 PM
It is definitely a voltage thing. I hooked up to alligator clips directly to the red and black and hook them up to the pump no fluid and then put my voltmeter on there and I知 only getting between three and 7 V so I知 not sure where I知 losing voltage but I know the switch is good so it may be a bad ground I知 gonna have to Dig around more or let the experts have a look!
Saturday, September 05, 2020 6:59 PM
Mine would work when it wanted or not at all, replaced the pump it's all good.

Pump was rusted internally when I took it apart, so I would look there also...bought 2 on EBay since my truck used the same pump for $12.

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Monday, September 14, 2020 12:30 PM
So the Steelership just called back and said it was the switch and they told me they can get it for $400 LOL I told him that I had purchased a new one on eBay and installed it. So I'm going in tomorrow to talk to the mechanic but in the meantime does somebody have a video or a site or can tell me here using a multimeter how I would test the Pontiac Sunbird wiper switch that's on the inside?
Monday, September 14, 2020 4:08 PM
Well, the switch must be working. In your video didn't you just push the Washer Button on the switch? The wipers did their thing, but the pump didn't spray, correct? I mean, if that is the case, you know the washer button must be doing something. I still don't know if the pulse wiper board controls the pump or not. It might, but I just don't know. My books are for Cavaliers. Though a lot of things are nearly identical in they way they work. What brand switch did you buy? If it was a Standard, I think they have lifetime replacement. Could be you just happened to get a bad one. I've used Standard switches on my 88 Z24 and my 92 Z24. They both (completely different designs) worked perfectly. My 94 Z24 also has a new Standard wiper switch stalk, but I've never used it. However, I believe it probably works just fine. So MAYBE you just got a bad one.

I'll try to dig into the books to see if the pulse wiper board controls the washer. It may take a few days though, as work has been going strong with lots of OT. Anyway, hold off on the $400.00 switch, if you can. I believe there is likely a much cheaper fix. I do remember my Standard wiper switch for the 88 was expensive. I'm thinking it was nearly $200.00 from RockAuto. The 92's stalk on the steering column was a lot less.
Tuesday, September 15, 2020 6:14 AM
Hi Butch thank you for the very lengthy description and information. It is an LCI photos attached.
I have a shop manual that I bought when I bought the car I should try to look for that.
Attachments
263B3F1A-C497-42F7-A0BF-A19D92A9F88E.jpeg (94k)
0E55E811-7DDD-4E3C-B75A-801D53DDFEF7.jpeg (93k)

Thursday, September 17, 2020 6:16 AM
The dealer just got back to me now. The switch I ordered on eBay is defective! I have contacted eBay and I'm returning it for a full refund since it was over $200! So for now they're going to wire in just a push button to activate the washer pump so that I can get my safety sticker. Would anyone here happen to have a working switch they would be willing to sell at a reasonable price?
Sunday, September 20, 2020 5:51 AM
Your Closest big city, Stephen?

www.row52.com for "you pull it yards"

Do a search for 88-92 Sunbirds

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search