Pontiac Nationals at Norwalk August 10 - 12 - Events Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Pontiac Nationals at Norwalk August 10 - 12
Saturday, July 21, 2007 8:36 PM
I didn't get around to posting about this event as soon this year, and it is coming up fast! We're less than 3 weeks out. Go to www.pontiacnationals.com for details about this awesome event. There is no other event I know where you get as much for your money as this one. If I could only attend 1 event each year, this would be it. This will be my 12th year driving 900 miles round trip to attend, so it's worth it.

I am scrambling to finish assembly and installation of my race motor (with custom headers), so I can be ready for the event this year. I really don't want to have to use my '00 GTP as a back-up again this year. If all goes well, I hope to be there with my NA Sunbird running sub-14.5 ETs at approaching 100 mph (giving stock and slightly modded GTPs in the FWD Class fits!).

Hope to see some other Pontiac J-Bodies there either racing or showing!

'93 Sunbird SE 3.1 5-speed
'00 Grand Prix GTP Sedan
sunbird93racer@yahoo.com

Re: Pontiac Nationals at Norwalk August 10 - 12
Friday, August 03, 2007 5:39 AM
Unfortunate update. The Sunbird will be staying home from this event for the 2nd year in a row, and I will be racing the GTP. During engine re-assembly we noticed a major problem with installation height of the LS6 springs. We were reaching full coil bind, which caused all of the pushrods to bend, one even broke. Fortunately, this only happened while we were turning the engine over by hand to check for issues. I also noticed after pulling the heads that a few of the valves left slight marks in the top of the pistons from contact (not a good thing!). I guess there are bound to be issues when I am combining Gen II heads, with a Crane 272 cam, LS6 springs, 3500 valves, and 1.52 Comp Cams roller rocker arms! I hope to get the heads back in a few weeks to put it all back together, and hopefully there will be no issues.

I still hope to see some other Pontiac J-Bodies there for the Pontiac Nationals. Look for the Redfire GTP Sedan with WI plates that read "V8 EATR 2", and stop by to say hello!

'93 Sunbird SE 3.1 5-speed
'00 Grand Prix GTP Sedan
sunbird93racer@yahoo.com
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search