2008 GM Tuner Bash plans...everyone input! - Events Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2008 GM Tuner Bash plans...everyone input!
Monday, October 22, 2007 6:57 PM
Well the time is coming around again to begin the planning for next year's bash. There's a few topics that I KNOW will be popular, so I'll go ahead and list those. There were a few things I'm sure everyone liked/disliked. Please do not be shy, tell me how you feel, and I'll do my best to make everyone happy.

1) Track:
Last year's track wasn't the best conditionally, I'm fully aware of that. However, a 5 hour rental, with 100 car budget rate (we had roughly 40-45 race last year) would have cost $1700. Even at that price, I don't know if I would have broke even on everything, but it would have been close. Now I haven't priced any other tracks this year, but I have a couple in mind I'll check out. Norwalk is a popular choice, and a very nice facility. But I've heard from people it can cost 5k to rent, obviously not close to being within budget.

2)Autox:
This is something I wanted to do last year, and had a few too many things fall through for me. If i were to do this, I would likely do this on a sunday, and be open to the public. I don't think we'd get enough participants to pay for it by ourselves. Cost on this is $1500 for the track setup, timing equipment, and all the staff to run it. As far as I know, no one will be required to work corners. If I can get 100 cars to participate in this, it could potentially help fund a better 1/4 mile track.

3)Show:
Last year's public judging was ok, but far less then ideal as i had hoped. Simple things like...having pens for everyone, got in the way of things going smoothly. I'm going to try and get better judging for next year's show. I also will leave the people's choice incorporated, because it requires you to look over a car a little closer...allowing you to really see what all is going on with a car.

4)Location:
This isn't debatable, it will stay in ohio. I'd like to stay at the Holiday Inn again if possible so long as they prove their roof is in better shape

5)Funds:
The bash is about as big as it can get without some other means of funding. I'm curious if anyone has any idea what we can do to raise more funds to help pay for the event, and make it a little bigger and more attractive to the other platforms. Admission/Registration right now is about 85% of the funds. Shirts help, but not much. Autox could raise a pretty decent amount of money, but it's not a for sure thing yet for next year.

So this is where you guys come in, give me your ideas on what could make the bash better, or what didn't you like about the bash from last year? I can't make everyone happy, but I will do my best to please as many as I can.

Re: 2008 GM Tuner Bash plans...everyone input!
Tuesday, October 23, 2007 12:21 PM
well paul, as far as interest for next year, ive talked to many people and i know there is way more interest for a 2008 bash, so that means more people.

we should make banners and flyers and stuff to hand out at any shows we are attending

also post on more forums and sites if at all possible.

as far as track goes, is there any new news on the MMS track or have they decided to scrub that track, if so then me and 05xtremecav and you could go to norwalk and see how much it is and if they would cut us a deal or what not.

as far as auto x goes, im completely agree with you, i think if there is enough interest then we could raise enough money for a better 1/4 mile track and there are also tons of people locally in ohio and michigan that love to auto x. we should get the word out locally too and that could even boost the bash attendance and reputation.

now, as far as the car show goes, i think we should bring in some judges from the outside that do know things about cars but that we should leave the peoples choice. if we bring in some outside judges, i think it owuld be more qualified as a car show and less bias towards a certain person or groups cars.

as far as location goes, definitely stay in ohio, as the bash originated in ohio to begin with. ohio is a good location for the bash since most j's are in mid USA and the east coast. as far as the hotels go, we should get the 3 hotels that are right off of 30 and lex springmill right in ontario by meijer and cinemark and everything. that is a main strip spot and we will have plenty to do at night and during the parts of the day that we arent busy and are close to everything, such as Buffalo Wild Wings and the mall, and movies, etc...

as far as funds go, i think normal admission this past year was good, what was it, $15 for general admission?? i say we do 15 for general admission or even $20 since it involves the car show. then charge like 15 or 20 for drag racing and or if they decide they want auto x too, 15 or 20 for that, or like 50 for the entire package for the whole weekend. that should more than cover the cost of everything if more people show up.

the main thing we need paul in order to get the show bigger is promoting the show. we could also talk to local dealerships and like gm or even hahn racecraft and summit and everything to see if they would help out since it isnt only j-bodies, but all gm tuner cars and such.

let me know what you think

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 9:56 PM
find someone to do the artwork...I'll do banners/flyers.

my point on admission was....we need more funds then what we're getting from admission.

Quote:

as far as location goes, definitely stay in ohio, as the bash originated in ohio to begin with.

actually I believe the first one was in TN or KY. def wasn't ohio.

Promoting the autox won't be hard...hang flyers at sears and every other tire center, and some other shops. Also posting the event on myautoevents will get some pretty good publicity.

Hotels....i know i tried to get those last year. Mid ohio already filled them. might look into that.

I'm counting on MMS being scrubbed.

I'm not necessarily looking to make it bigger so much as just better, and ran more smoothly do that...attendance will follow

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 10:54 PM
i was just throwing out some ideas.

we really need to look into the prices of norwalk

and give the hotels in ontario a call

and start checking of stuff soon and come up with artwork. im sure we can have someone on the here make us a flyer and we can mass produce it and even put a copy on here for people to even print out and help disperse around their area and stuff.

we need to start planning stuff already and get some stuff set in stone for next years event. as far as time of the event, i think it was almost perfect this past year, but maybe a week or 2 earlier for next year, like early or mid july. what do you think paul

Thursday, October 25, 2007 6:29 AM
I think I'm waiting for mid ohio to release their schedule. I am not fighting them for hotel space again Until that happens, I can't call norwalk or the hotels. This is more for other ideas that we haven't done in the past, or things we could perhaps change to operate more smoothly. for instance...park according to class

Thursday, October 25, 2007 6:36 AM
if you guys need anything from me, let me know. I'll do whatever I can.

if you need someone to help organize the drag racing and quick 8/ 16 comps Paul...

Thursday, October 25, 2007 6:49 AM
why Ohio Paul? I can bet you that's why a lot of us that are further west (read: Arizona, California, Oregon, Washington, New Mexico, Nevada, etc.) won't be able to make it.

I don't remember exactly where in Ohio the last Bash was, but from Phoenix, Arizona to Columbus, Ohio is right at 2000 miles, with a 27 hour drive time. that's 2 days there, 2 days back. with the bash being 3 days, that's 7 days.

I can understand that most of the J's are in the midwest and east coast. putting it in Ohio though, and none of us over here will even consider going. that's a loss in cash flow if you ask me.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Thursday, October 25, 2007 6:51 AM
Good to hear 2k8 is a go. I'm seriously planning on showing up come hell or high water (no pun intended )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, October 25, 2007 6:53 AM

Thursday, October 25, 2007 6:58 AM
Kardain wrote:Good to hear 2k8 is a go. I'm seriously planning on showing up come hell or high water (no pun intended )

Rob, you were supposed to back me up on the distance thing. LOL

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Thursday, October 25, 2007 7:13 AM
Seeing as I am a business administration graduate I can help on the business end.

I would suggest getting your fee's done quick, costs of tracks hotels and what not. Then start an early bird thing, like Run that fee right at a divided break even point. (take your anticipated amount of people and divide that into your costs) that should come out around a flat fee ie: 50 bucks. Charge that for like 2 months so people get in, then raise the package price to 60 and so on, it will probly be lower but just throwing ideas out, that way it generates a lot of buzz right away.

As for a track, possibly rent a track that has a parking lot big enough to have an autox track that way you can kill 2 birds with one stone.

Judging: The public idea is great, don't need to pay em and they generally do a nice job. I would have someone experienced walk with them incase they might understand a custom piece or what something might do.

As for raising funds: do a limited time t shirt thing. Make a bad ass design offer it for 2 months or so then stop it, or a limited quantity type thing, that should also get mouths watering. Have someone make a cd, I know for one bash they had a bash cd and that sold like wildfire, I believe it was the 2k2 bash, I bought 2 of them. They were mainly bass songs but regardless. Talk with GM, it's a long shot but they may be willing to help with something monetarily. Like pay for the track or the location of the show.

Paul if you need anything I will try to help, I would love to be involved with this bash

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Thursday, October 25, 2007 7:18 AM
We will never get Norwalk. It is at minimum of $5,000 for a week day....If I remeber correctly.

Whom are you going through for the autox? You should contact the Akron Auto Cross Club. If you haven't all ready.

Thompson might be a good place again. I'm bias since it is my local track.

Pre-sell shirts and hoodies man. A few months or what ever before the bash.

Get some more Delta bodies to join us.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Thursday, October 25, 2007 1:50 PM
a cd would be a good idea, but the hoodie, sweatshirts, and t-shirts would be an amazing idea. the hoodies especially with winter coming soon.

and i like the early bird special thing, it goes along with my idea that is further up in the post.

also if people want to do all 3 events, discount it a little bit

Thursday, October 25, 2007 3:19 PM
FReQ Z wrote:why Ohio Paul? I can bet you that's why a lot of us that are further west (read: Arizona, California, Oregon, Washington, New Mexico, Nevada, etc.) won't be able to make it.

I don't remember exactly where in Ohio the last Bash was, but from Phoenix, Arizona to Columbus, Ohio is right at 2000 miles, with a 27 hour drive time. that's 2 days there, 2 days back. with the bash being 3 days, that's 7 days.

I can understand that most of the J's are in the Midwest and east coast. putting it in Ohio though, and none of us over here will even consider going. that's a loss in cash flow if you ask me.

although i am closer to Ohio i do agree with the location issue some of the biggest cities are in Florida and California and Ohio is a little far for them so most probably wouldn't bother but if u pick someplace close to the middle of the country u could efficiently and significantly increase the # of ppl and maybe even make extra $$ for other more local events or something of the thought plus if u think about it u would have a better chance of GM helping out if its more of a national thing not just an east coast thing.
Thursday, October 25, 2007 5:15 PM
FReQ Z wrote:
Kardain wrote:Good to hear 2k8 is a go. I'm seriously planning on showing up come hell or high water (no pun intended )

Rob, you were supposed to back me up on the distance thing. LOL

2 minutes apart in post times... one of the downfalls of dial-up...

however, I will agree with the distance... I'll bitch and moan all I want, prolly wont change it any

On the other hand, since DTP is in Ohio, it makes his planning that much easier (I know this first hand)

For me:

Total Est. Time: 36 hours, 17 minutes

Total Est. Distance: 2454.49 miles

Thursday, October 25, 2007 6:35 PM
I have never been to one of these but would like to since I have family in Ohio and it would make a convenient excuse to drive the Cavvy with the top down for 500 + miles from NC to OH. I did that once in a convertible Cadillac and my left side was chapped for days.

My personal opinion is for the event to stay in Ohio if only because since most of the J's were built in Lordstown Ohio is the spiritual home of the Cavalier. Although I am curious to know why no event at the plant has been done lately. I know Lordstown produces the Delta Cobalt now but you'd think with the proximity there would be some interest/action.

Most car dealers in NE Ohio that I know of would be interested in talking about being involved in an event at some level even agreeing to something onsite. It is done all the time around here with other marques. The only gripe would be the 'kid factor' but that could be easily rectified. When I worked at Lordstown - Greenwood Chevrolet in Austintown, Burt Greenwald Chevrolet in Akron, Bob Serpentini Cheverolet in Tallmadge used to do big promotions of Cavaliers and Sunbirds. Of course they also used to cater heavily to GME & GMS customers.

*IF* you were to think about moving somewheres else glamming onto an existing car-show or event would attract more interest as people would have more incentive to go. Such as Fall Carlisle in PA, All-GM show in Carlisle, Spring/Fall AutoFair in Charlotte, Goodguys show in Charlotte all of these shows attract thousands of cars and sometimes 100,000+ spectators. Logistics can be worked around with clever planning. I know at the AutoFair in Charlotte all the car clubs come out in force, F-body, full-size, Caddy, Buick, foreign marques, Yellow Mustang Club, whatever the fancy.

Another option would be to split the show one year go east one year go west. Clubs have dealt with this East-West thing since the Jews and Gentiles fought in Christ's time that is not going to go away. Other clubs I belong to they go back and forth and invariable a significant group only go to the ones on their side of the country. Perhaps one person plans the east coast one year and another the west coast the next year and back and forth. As I am sure even the most hardcore westcoaster will admit more Js exist east of the Mississippi than west. That is a ? that has an answer that will satisfy everyone.

Just a few thoughts...

GM Powertrain Engineer
Currently in Charlotte, NC
Worked at Lordstown Assembly in Mid 90s
Hamtramck, Lake Orion, Lansing Grand River
Currently work on older cars but support
any GM make or any car for that matter.
Owned 3 J's over the years among other cars.
Currently 88 Z24 Convert. Mostly stock.
Mild exhaust, chip, CAI, stereo, etc.
Feel free to hit me up on anything!
Friday, October 26, 2007 6:26 AM
Paul-

Great to hear planning is already starting. Alot of great ideas have already been said. My thoughts after being at 4 and a quarter bashs.

Location: Keep it in Ohio, i think its the best way to keep your costs down and turnout has been the best when it was in OH.
IF you do move it move it to indy. For some people reading this I'm not saying this to cut my drive time down by 4 hours i thought the trip to OH was easy last year aside from construction, but you will get that everywhere you go. I will gladly make the trip anywhere the bash maybe. I do think moving it to a group of hotels closer to a "city or town " like bonnett said where there is more to do.

Dates: Matters not to me. My only idea make it on a weekend where nothing bigger is going on.
Hotel: Ties into location. I thought the hotel last year was good. Cant complain about my room is was pimp. If we are at the same hotel i will be requesting that room again next year.

Events: I just got a Solstice GXP so i'm down for autox this year and a little quarter mileing. Didnt run at the track last year so cant comment on it. Maybe try to do a cedarpoint day or a bowling or golf outing maybe the thur b4.

All in all i thought is was a good bash and return to what the bash is all about. Cant wait to see what you have in store for next year

Dave
A new breed of J will be unleashed in 07
Creating the E-RACER one mod at a time
Member of J-Factor
Member of Wisc's J's
1/4 mile 16.084 @ 84.90 (Stock Z) 01 SPDY Z24
Friday, October 26, 2007 7:52 AM
location. indy's most likely out since irp is going to be way over budget, not to mentione when it was moved to indy wich was a few hours west of ohio attendance actually dropped even though it was more west wich people wanted and it was at a top notch facility so keep it in ohio closer to you so it's easier on your end to get things done.

judging. talked about this last time. just get a few people to come out and judge so its not spectator judging. start looking early enough and you should be able to find someone, check into any local car clubs in the area. if need be i could talk to a few clubs out here that i know do allot of judging to come out. and then just have a public vote for a peoples choice award.

auto-x i'd contact your local scca club or auto-x club and see if its possible to setup an event. the earlier the better, your biggest hurdle will probably location and insurance. working with an established club could ease allot of that.

hotels. from what i heard about the holiday inn you guys were at, and how the manager went thru the judging of coming on the board here and trying to get their insurance to cover the damage to the cars, thats a big deal for them to go thru the trouble to at least try to help you guys out. most managers would have just said sorry bout you luck. i think its worth going back and giving them our money for a room.

price. people are pretty picky about price, i'd suggest somwhere in the range of $20 for general/show admission and another $20 to race. $40 shouldnt be to hard for people to come up with and with smaller turnouts your going to need people to pony up a few more bucks to get everything paid for.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Friday, October 26, 2007 9:02 AM
listening to this.....thou im in FL which is pretty far away still very intersted

my main concern would be date and price and well if my project for the car is done lol

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Friday, October 26, 2007 9:38 AM
Unfortunately, of all the tracks in ohio, the only ones with parking lots big enough to host autox, are going to be VERY pricey (ex: norwalk; national trails)

btw...I'm not in ohio anymore lol. I moved to nebraska, so I'll be doing 13 hours driving each way myself as well.

Autox, I'm hoping to coordinate with the local GM plant there. They already host autox's annually, so I'm hoping to get something going with them. I WAS doing coordination with the columbus SCCA chapter. However, come to find out, I'm located in the Toledo region, and they didn't bother responding to my calls. So maybe I'll contact this akron group, they're much more local to the ashland/west salem area.

Hoodies/Sweatshirts, I suppose we could try that. At my shop though, minimum order is 12 shirts. I'll check with them on pricing and see about maybe getting that done.

Admission...20 bucks each is right about where I intended on setting it last year.

Location...as I said this isn't debatable. If it moves anywhere, it's because a nicer facility fit the budget. Moving the bash west has never succeeded in anything except lower attendance. Didn't you guys have a west coast bash this year anyways? I would have liked to have flown out, but scheduling didn't line up.

Hotels...I'd like to go with ashland again, but the mansfield location does seem more ideal, but its also further from the track.

Cedar Point day was REALLY fun....definitely going to implement that into the schedule. Bowling on thursday night could be fun too, mansfield has a nice alley to use.

Keep the input coming guys! This is what I was hoping for.

Audio Competition? anyone interested? I almost had it last year but an unmentioned associate dropped the ball lol.

I'd like to maybe get some more awards. all depends on funding of course....which is where I was REALLY hoping for the input. I need more ideas like cd's hoodies....and anything else we can come up with to raise more money. I need some people to think outside the box here

Friday, October 26, 2007 9:50 AM
if you want to do audio i'd have no problems judging that if u wanted to do a sound quality type event. i dont have a meter myself so couldnt do spl. i could make up scoresheets blah blah blah and may be able to even scource up some trophies for that if there is interest.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Friday, October 26, 2007 10:56 AM
if we had a comp though, I have to believe we'd mainly get SPL contestants....I'm up for either, does not matter to me. Good chance I'll have your deep involvement with this jason, much appreciated

Friday, October 26, 2007 12:06 PM
As long as the Bash is in early July or August I'll be looking forward to it. If you need help judging or doing a SPL comp, I could see if I can get some of my old judging papers and SPL equipment back .

Friday, October 26, 2007 12:16 PM
Ive been wanting to go its just quite a drive for me.. I may try to take the trip this year though - we'll see...

This may be way out in left field but... what about every year having it at a different location across the US, that way it gives people form different locations, the opportunity to participate without having to take a week off of work and drive such a long distance (if they were to even make the effort of doing so). I know it may seem less organized, and be easier to try to stay at the same location yearly but it may be worth something to try? Maybe have a few select locations and every year do the bash at one of them and just rotate the cycle?

I think the audio comp is a good idea as well.. I mean anything that could catch the interests of a broader amount of people, may cause more interest and a bigger turn out.

Just my input, even though I have yet to make it to one

Friday, October 26, 2007 12:24 PM
flyers would be a good idea

too bad it would be close to a 9 hr drive for me

* * BIG FOR SALE POST * *
Friday, October 26, 2007 12:52 PM
track was fine since its cheaper. i had a good time and it was a decent track

location: holiday Inn was fine by me. nice and close to lots of things (strip club included )

autox: not big on my list but would be fun if doen cheap enough

show: pens, and a few official judges and your set

funds: as JCO, they seem to do ok finding a few sponsors. that and raise fees a hair

can't wait to see you in OH paul

My car may run 18s, but I can do your taxes in 10 seconds flat.
JBO lube - they would never have enough in stock and we'd never see RodimusPrime again
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search