2008 GM Tuner Bash plans...everyone input! - Page 2 - Events Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 2008 GM Tuner Bash plans...everyone input!
Friday, October 26, 2007 1:32 PM
9 hours ain't anything worth worrying about. I'm doing 13 now that I moved to nebraska.

Lenko has driven like 30 hours on more then 1 occasion. it's a little crazy, but doing it like lenko did, allows you to sight see along the way. Make your trip more then "just the bash".

I'm going to put a little more emphasis on this...

MOVING THE BASH IS NOT DEBATABLE! IT'S NOT MOVING!

I took this over with intentions of bringing stability to the event. Move it out west all you want to "enjoy the festivities" but problem is, you gain a few out west, you lose a LOT from the east. So you win some, lose a lot! It's been done on a couple occasions, and both were flops even though they had top notch facilities. There's too much time/money invested into doing something like this that I'm just not interested in risking. I'm sorry if I seem brash, but it's been proven on a couple different occasions. The bash is staying where it is, so next year if you can't make it this year, at least you know where it's going to be and you can plan ahead. That's really all I know to tell everyone. I just can't justify losing 20-30 attendees to gain 4-10. Those out west, fly in! Dave, Teske, and Karo have done it SEVERAL times...really helps reduce costs! and amount of time off work. Teske didn't have his car, but ask him if he had fun The bash is about the people, so really, cars are optional.

Friday, October 26, 2007 1:58 PM
DroptopPaul wrote:Well the time is coming around again to begin the planning for next year's bash. There's a few topics that I KNOW will be popular, so I'll go ahead and list those. There were a few things I'm sure everyone liked/disliked. Please do not be shy, tell me how you feel, and I'll do my best to make everyone happy.

1) Track:
Last year's track seemed fine, though I didn't actually race on it.

2)Autox:
I'm either way on this one, since I probably won't auto-X.

3)Show:
I suggest you hire judges & base it on points, instead of a popularity contest.

4)Location:
Ohio is fine

5)Funds:
I'll pay whatever, as long as it happens.

There's my .02c's

Yes, it's my REAL car. No, it is NOT photoshopped or "this is how my car will look someday". It's the REAL DEAL.
Friday, October 26, 2007 2:35 PM
kevin....your support is much appreciated. always look forward to seein ya whether its the bash or the bbq!

Friday, October 26, 2007 6:59 PM
DroptopPaul wrote: Moving the bash west has never succeeded in anything except lower attendance. Didn't you guys have a west coast bash this year anyways? I would have liked to have flown out, but scheduling didn't line up.

no sir... general lack of interest and issues w/ planning prevented that.

Friday, October 26, 2007 7:16 PM
now you see why I don't move it out there

Friday, October 26, 2007 7:22 PM
The hotel and everything was great, the location etc.. See if the hotel can can reserve us rooms in the same area (like the side away from the street on the 1st floor, not sugesting that specifically but in the same area on the same floor). As for the track... since the one track we were surpossed to have this year droped the ball see if they will work with you on some kind of compensation for 2008. See if we can get that track for a discount or at least match the price of the last track. As for auto X, for as much as I'd love to see it happen I honestly think it will be more trouble then its worth. Drag racing is far more popular and thats always been at the bash, I think we should just keep it like that rather then adding more. I think everyone whos gone will tell you its not about the car show or the racing its about being at the bash. Its the event, the people, the atmosphere, its awsome and theres nothign else like it in terms of car shows/events.... I would rather have some time to sit and chat with everyone, have some fun, drink some booze and talk cars then have everythign scheduled from the time we get there to the time we leave. For the car show I think we should do it at the hotel again that worked out great but it needs to be more organized... if were gonna have participant voting again I think the cars should be parked with cars in there class rather then all over. Put at the same time I know the car show people would apreciate the idea of bringing in a few unbiased people to judge is a good idea so long as it doesn't cost much. As for the cost... I will be there regardless, the bash itself is the least expensive part of going to the bash LOL.

Friday, October 26, 2007 8:01 PM
This year was my first bash. I agree a lot with what Ryan said.

Paul if you remember me telling you last year.... auto x is going to be a lot more work than we need. As for the track. people had problems with the quality of the strip. I didn't race so i cant complain there.

As for the hotel. If it grows to be bigger than it was, the hotel we were at may not be able to accommodate the car show there. maybe we could park in the grass where wentzel parked his trailer. The manager sat outside and drank with us, how cool was that? granted during the track drying process me, justyna, Ryan, and darren almost died from the shanty restaurant.... but all in all it was a blast.

For the show. I think it should be more participant judging than official. While i walked around the show i could hear people saying, wow that is an amazing car. his car/her car is amazing... thats what it was. not, did you see john doe's car? vote for it. Plus it would be nice for people with a car like ours recognize the talent and skill or parts that went into the cars. Example, wide bodies, body kits, toyo tails, mirros, toyo fenders, trunk liners, just little stuff that a normal person judging will not notice. I would say just base it off a points system instead of vote him vote her. AND DEF> PARK EVERYONE TOGETHER IN THEIR CLASS.

Ill echo his point, OHIO is STAYING. For everyone that says move it more west. i guarantee just like he said, you will lose east coasters. if its moved to the far west coast, thats a 2000 mile drive for me. move it mid central..... he knows where to go and who to talk to in Ohio. besides if you move it middle then some people have 5 miles, while since most live on the coasts then others will have a 1500 mile drive and people wont want to go.

im in for a hoodie, t-shirt, probably not a CD, ill probably take a sticker, or a dash plaque. id say increase the show price, and include dash plaques.

as for cedar point, id say make it a day thing, but at the same time i had a BLAST with the few of us that walked around solo for obvious reasons that were not yet mentioned. ha ha. but i also agree on having a day before the main stuff goes on. with cedar point though, remember they park and pay according to car. no by person, so car pooling would be great.

For every dollar i spent it was the best thing i did all year round. and would love to do it again.

not like i have to say it but paul, you know how to get a hold of me for any help you need.

Monday, October 29, 2007 10:38 PM
listening....

ill be trekking from the south...just give me some dates...i dont need no directions; i should be good on those
and anyone that wants to roll with me....feel free.

As far as costs go...if you can't afford an extra $40-50 on top of the cost it takes you to get there....then you probly shouldn't go
BUT, as mentioned:
Darkstars wrote:the bash itself is the least expensive part of going to the bash LOL.

its the people that make the time, not so much the add-ins

Monday, October 29, 2007 11:01 PM
Im game for the bash being in the same place. But its gonna need to be more organized than last year and deff gonna need some judges. Last years judging had a lot of head scratching in the end.

i think you learned a lot from last years bash Paul and 2008 will be even better

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 12:20 AM
Ever since I have joined this site I have wanted to go to a jbo bash.as for pricing I would go with the $20 charge for general adm. for the hotels I think it wuld be cool to have every one that is going to the bash to be on the same level.since its in ohio I will not have a prob getting there.

Friday, November 02, 2007 3:44 AM
-i'd be in for auto-x but it is a lot of work unless it's on a day that some ohio chapter is runnin, which then wouldn't cost the bash administration anything.

-judging was pretty lame. orchestrating the layout of each car class would be better along w/ having specifics that put you in each class.

-would do a package deal-show, drag, auto-x (if applicable) and t-shirt for a price.

-having everyone on one floor would be convenient and/or at least at same end of building closest to parkin lot, then you don't have other patrons complaining if there were any.

-flyers would be great too. i know manta_z has some awesome skills at ps. he's put together a couple flyers for our bi-weekly cruise-in.

-location was good. was even better to meet up with random people first and cruise in together. thanks dayton/columbus crew! may need a bigger parking lot to host. plus closer to nightlife activities. maybe even a party bus for those 21 and over.

-early dates if possible.

-NAME TAGS OR BADGES, some people like being called by the org name, car name, or real name. been around for a while but still don't know a lot of people's face to their car.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, November 02, 2007 3:47 AM

Friday, November 02, 2007 8:13 AM
so do you want something lanyard style? of the hello my name is sticker? (and i'd just give ya a couple since we got 2 days of events)

autox would not be exclusive to the bash. I wouldn't have to operate it at all...thats why it comes with a staff for the 1500 price. It'd likely be the sunday that everyone is heading home, and those that have shorter drives won't mind just driving home after the autox. This would mainly be to raise money.

Judging/Classing- I actually had a classification list made up. My computer crashed day before the bash so I lost it and a lot of the stuff i needed to run the show. It sucked, and made me run a lot of it on an at needed basis lol. I'll do better on judging though, it was a crazy idea, i never done it, so I wanted to run with it.

flyers...I'm ALLLL about this. I just have 0!!!! graphics skills. So, anyone that wants to do this...I'm all about

location...found out there a car oriented bar down the street....might do somethin with them.

early dates....I don't want to go sooner then july for one reason. likelihood of rain. yes we got rained on anyways, but in may, it rains like every 3 days or more. In july the rain backs off to once every couple weeks. So I'll take my chances again in july. August people start going back to school, so july to early august seems to be the best time.

I did offer a package deal in pre-registration

hotel arrangements....its hard to do that because not all their layouts accommodate their parking lot like that.

SPL competition? i almost had this last year. is there an interest for this? what would be fair price to enter?

Friday, November 02, 2007 4:12 PM
Most of the car club events and non-car events that I go to have those lanyards you can wear around your neck and then they clip a plastic pocket to the end and you can slip a little piece of paper in them with your name, city/state, registered car, and whatever else information that you care to add. People just need to indicate when they register what info they want to appear. I would say stickers around both because they are ugly and hard to see and they are not dependable day to day. Lanyards hanging from your neck are cooler and make things look more serious. You know press people at stuff have them on ... Lanyards are of course more expensive then the hello stickers but that would be factored into the cost of registration.

I wasn't at last year's bash so I cannot comment on judging but having clearly defined classes/groups of course would be beneficial. I assume something like 1st Gen/2nd Gen/3rd Gen (more than one in 3rd Gen based on year?) and it would be nice to see some separation of original/stock and the highly modified cars. My Cavvy is almost completely stock other than a few updates for reliability so it would not naturally go against a car that looked like it just came down from the sky. I know this tends to be a Gen III event but I hope to be there with the Z.

I don't have a comment about the hotels since I will just stay with relatives in Akron. Although unless you have a large block even then its going to be hard to get the hotel to agree to section off hotel space for anything. Rooms are allocated for other reasons and usually unless you book way in advance you take what they give you.

Otherwise I largely echo was Vincent say.

If anyone will drive up I-77 from WV, VA, NC, SC, etc. that want to caravan or something.

GM Powertrain Engineer
Currently in Charlotte, NC
Worked at Lordstown Assembly in Mid 90s
Hamtramck, Lake Orion, Lansing Grand River
Currently work on older cars but support
any GM make or any car for that matter.
Owned 3 J's over the years among other cars.
Currently 88 Z24 Convert. Mostly stock.
Mild exhaust, chip, CAI, stereo, etc.
Feel free to hit me up on anything!
Friday, November 02, 2007 4:39 PM
Phlatcav wrote:Im game for the bash being in the same place. But its gonna need to be more organized than last year and deff gonna need some judges. Last years judging had a lot of head scratching in the end.

i think you learned a lot from last years bash Paul and 2008 will be even better

yeah things were thrown together to even have a show. we have a jump on next year to plan things better.

I think the lanyards would be cool. thats a good idea for sure.

we figured out what to do somewhat on the car show. but for classes i think to break it down better, would be 95-99, 00-02, 03+.

what about a group meal sometime, get one of the banquet rooms, order enough pizza, make people pay so much per person to make up for it and a little extra to cover it.

i have more but im brain dead right now.

Saturday, November 03, 2007 8:26 AM
trophies already cost 300 bucks....separate them down to the phases....and you get a 600 dollar trophy bill lol. I'm all about a group meal. Maybe I can work that into the bill.

Saturday, November 03, 2007 2:33 PM
whats this car oriented bar down the street....is it new?

Saturday, November 03, 2007 3:01 PM
Someone told me scorchers was...

Saturday, November 03, 2007 3:46 PM
someone doesn't know their bars. its just a normal bar. might have a bit of nascar stuff and maybe automotive here and there

but...back to the topic at hand....

Saturday, November 03, 2007 4:12 PM
ive always wanted to go to a bash and now that i dont have a jbody anymore and i moved to north dakota, i would like to try to attended this one, hopefully ill be able to pick up another cavy by then, or maybe the new turbo cobalt coming out and trade in my audi. but either way, i can try to help out as much as i can. i have alot of friends and family in ohio so i can see if they can help out with the flyers and anything else. i know theres a couple 1/4 mile tracks near dayton and i know that kilkare isnt the best place in the world but the track is descent and you can rent that out. if that helps any. if the dates work out for me then ill take some time away from the air force to go and hang out, its not a bad drive only 19 hrs and ive done it 3 times now so im up for it.

2002 cavy with 5spd ecotec(RIP)
1991 eagle talon tsi awd 5spd(sold)
1999 audi a4 1.8l turbo 5spd
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/779567
Saturday, November 03, 2007 4:57 PM
I'll be pricing kilkare, but I've never been there.

Monday, November 05, 2007 7:16 PM
lanyards would be awesome. see if ________ (said company) has any spares lying around out of season. i know crown royal gave some out at the bars, etc.
early dates meant to announce it early enough to arrange schedules and all so people can't say they didn't have time to plan. not earlier in summer.
package deal was saying i liked the idea of it last time. i did it just no drag racing part of it. kudos.
backup, backup, backup data. haha. maybe email it to some while constructing the judging list. computers crash i realize this.
we can get flyers out. i really liked the decal for last year. will it stay the same this year? if so, we can start working on gettin the word out now.

Monday, November 05, 2007 8:37 PM
yeah...many lessons learned last year. backing up data is on the list

Monday, November 05, 2007 8:49 PM
DroptopPaul wrote:yeah...many lessons learned last year. backing up data is on the list

i was going to tell you to send it all to me so we have doubles but as long as there are duplicates we should be better off.

Wednesday, November 07, 2007 11:50 AM
I am definitely in for another bash. Hopefully I won't have any other conflicts this year so I can attend the whole weekend.

- I would like to see an Auto-X, but I would rather drag race.

- The lanyards are not a new idea, but it is a good idea. Schill started lanyards back in 2001 and I still have my 01 and 02 lanyards. I didn't register for any bash since ( even when I attended ) so I don't know if he still did it

- I like the idea of a Bash CD. I bought a couple that EROD was selling, but I am not sure if that money was tied to the bash or was it just to cover his expensed ( probably the later of the 2 ). I liked them because they usually had pics of peoples cars that I missed

- I would rather a pro, or car group judge the show. It keeps the popularity contest to a minimum. I didn't build my car to win trophies ( but it would be nice to get one, lol )

Quote:

I'm going to put a little more emphasis on this...

MOVING THE BASH IS NOT DEBATABLE! IT'S NOT MOVING!

This happens every year we talk about a bash. If you want to have a bash in your region, nothing is stopping you from organizing one yourself. They have been done several times before

Jason
99 Z24 Supercharged
157hp/171tq - NA
LD9 for Life
Wednesday, November 07, 2007 12:07 PM
Late to the party and don't feel like reading everything.

I'll just say I was happy with how things went this year, so if something improves next year, awesome....if not....@!#$ it, it's the bash....and I mean that in a positive way.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search