09 drag racing shootout??? - Page 5 - Events Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 09 drag racing shootout???
Monday, December 01, 2008 8:15 PM
Your right, Brandon did start this post. I posted a long time ago that I was planning another Shootout for 2009. If Brandon wants to set this all up then he can go for it.

I don't want this to be another bash, that's my biggest thing. If we open it up to all cars with an Eco or LD9 then all we're going to do is make people choose if they're going to go to the Tuner Bash or the Shootout/Grudge Match. Since I am trying to help the racing side of both, I want people at both.

Of course I am biased I guess by the fact that I want my money and awards to go to anyone who can be perfect for 5 or 6 rounds, 400HP or 130HP.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26

Monday, December 01, 2008 8:16 PM
Quote:

My only "problem" in just matching up cars based on mods..... there is always someone that "forgets" to mention the sneeky pete 50 shot, and then runs around like they just won the Indy 500 when they wax the stock car next to them.

Valid point. Something to think about. One thing is a lot of us (at least posting in this post right now) know our ways around a J. We can find any place you would hide a sneaky pete.

FU Tuning

Monday, December 01, 2008 9:59 PM
John Higgins wrote:Valid point. Something to think about. One thing is a lot of us (at least posting in this post right now) know our ways around a J. We can find any place you would hide a sneaky pete.

That's a bet I'd take. It's not as hard as people think to hide a system from a general looking over. Now if your going to look super in-depth it gets harder, but still do-able.

Tuesday, December 02, 2008 12:07 AM
I know everything is trying to get worked out, but i have a few concerns.

1. If its boosted v.s. boosted the s/c guys arnt going to make it too far, except for Airtonics. But if you go s/c v.s. s/c and turbo v.s. turbo, thats gonna be alot of racing and i feel that the M45 guys are gonna get shafted.

2. It would be a fairly long drive for us east coast people and i, personally, would feel better if it was a weekend thing. But i know it wouldnt be possable, so maybe we plan something privately.

I love to come, but we'll see what happens.

Tuesday, December 02, 2008 12:32 AM
Tinkles wrote:I know everything is trying to get worked out, but i have a few concerns.

1. If its boosted v.s. boosted the s/c guys arnt going to make it too far, except for Airtonics. But if you go s/c v.s. s/c and turbo v.s. turbo, thats gonna be alot of racing and i feel that the M45 guys are gonna get shafted.

2. It would be a fairly long drive for us east coast people and i, personally, would feel better if it was a weekend thing. But i know it wouldnt be possable, so maybe we plan something privately.

I love to come, but we'll see what happens.

I don't think there should be any split deciding on what power adder you run.

this should be an all out, no holds-barred contest.

I know we all choose our methods for different reasons, but those who chose to go the route of s/c knew the pros and cons when they chose it. People who want to crush the quarter mile know that they have to make the absolute maximum amount of horsepower possible, and we all know how thats done with small displacement engines.

Maybe we can have a split class by e/t or something, but I think there should be an absolute 'run what ya brung' class or sect that comes with no disclaimers, and no apologies.

slicks, skinnies, stripped interiors, sleeved blocks, one power adder, two, whatever.. long as its a 4 cylinder, and a J-body I think should be the only definitive rule.

lets see what jbodies are made of.

this does make me want to amp up my efforts in time for the competition. The prototype version of the skwirl (shooting for 450whp.. while being competitive) won't have a shot at winning.

I can't have that lol.

Tuesday, December 02, 2008 3:49 AM
I think everyone should do quick 8 bracket racing like they do at almost EVERY drag strip I have ever been to.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, December 02, 2008 4:16 AM
should a stipulation be, it must be driven there?

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Tuesday, December 02, 2008 4:33 AM
Taetsch Z-24 wrote:should a stipulation be, it must be driven there?

Chris

Must be street legal....I do not think David or Fetter wants to drive them there.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, December 02, 2008 7:26 AM
Basically this sounds like you guys want nothing but another Quick 8 contest. Well tell me who's coming and I'll have the trophies personalized and sent out the week after the bash. No point in running that contest again after the bash.

This needs to be something different where everyone can come out and have some fun. I plan on being in the Q8 and even I don't want the same thing again at this event. I'd rather try and beat 31 other guys in a bracket race than do 2 Q8s in a couple months.

Tuesday, December 02, 2008 8:18 AM
well if its gonna be a bracket race setup count me out....... i wanna go to anyone including fetter or Hahn......... i like the run what you brung aspect and if ppl want to make special races while out their then that can be arranged

bracket racing to me is sooo boring

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Tuesday, December 02, 2008 9:29 AM
-MD- LD9 wrote:

Chris

Must be street legal....I do not think David or Fetter wants to drive them there.

So, they tow them to Milwaukee, and then drive?

Something that has Valid Plates on it?

If you want drag car,,,, Cavalier.... there is this guy at work thats running 6.5's with his cavalier, has a larger hood on it though

still a cavalier though.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Tuesday, December 02, 2008 10:47 AM
Taetsch Z-24 wrote:
-MD- LD9 wrote:

Chris

If you want drag car,,,, Cavalier.... there is this guy at work thats running 6.5's with his cavalier, has a larger hood on it though

still a cavalier though.

Chris

how about this then.

-cars have to retain the original drivetrain layout of the Jbody (read; transverse mount FWD)
-cars can only be packing 4 cylinder engines (since we want this to be twin cam vs ecotec, and the high powered 4 cylinders would walk any of the V6 swaps anyway)
-no limits on power adders
-no limits on modifications
-no limits on tires
-no limits on electronics

street LEGAL I could care less.. especially since technically my car hasn't been street legal in years (lack of a catalytic converter)
street-able cars.. again I could care less. But I think a majority of the people here will argue their car is streetable anyway, so I think this is a none-issue.

Tuesday, December 02, 2008 10:55 AM
Taetsch Z-24 wrote:
-MD- LD9 wrote:

Chris

still a cavalier though.

Chris

Now your just being stupid. A tube chassis car with a fiberglass body design to look similar to a Cavalier is not a Cavalier. HRC's car was built from a 100% stock Sunfire, not a bunch of tubes. Quit being so ignorant about this, it's a @!#$ fun race, not a national event.

The way I see it you guys basically have a 4 options for a race....
1) "All-out" heads-up with everyone picking and choosing who can race, not truly all-out racing at all. More like "All out as long as I can beat them." Pretty lame but everyone has to complain about someone otherwise it wouldn't be a JBO event.
2) "All-out" heads-up that is truly all out. If your car started as a J-body from the Lordstown Assembly Plant you can race, regardless of changes. Run what you brung, plain and simple!
3) A bracket race where anyone can compete against anyone. Beat the stock cars with better driving, it's not that hard.
4) A bracket race with time breaks. Gives everyone a chance to race but people can't bitch about having to race a car that is too different.

Quit your bitchin' and pick your poison! If you don't like the races don't come to race. Everyone is trying to add their own little twist to this and that isn't going to work.

Tuesday, December 02, 2008 11:01 AM
I vote for option 2

but that's just me. If the title says cavalier, sunfire, or whatever the bastage cadillac cousin was, it's fair game.

Suffering from more imagination than sanity......
Tuesday, December 02, 2008 11:07 AM
Wow this has grown in the past 2 days lol.

Your right Mike, I would NOT be driving my car from Ohio to Wisc, especially since Im going to race it.

I don't see why everybody is being so technical, Eco vs LD9 Jbody, NA vs NA, Power adder vs Power adder.. Simple as that.

I hope we can come up with a definate time in the next couple months. I will need to work out borrowing a truck to tow the cavy to Wisc. Alot of money to save because its gonna be an expensive trip.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Tuesday, December 02, 2008 11:29 AM
I am working mine out to be in August, probably around my birthday at the end of the month. My birthday present will be seeing good racing and giving away money or awards, depending on the race setup!

Tuesday, December 02, 2008 11:30 AM
Phil (Not QBE) wrote:I vote for option 2

but that's just me. If the title says cavalier, sunfire, or whatever the bastage cadillac cousin was, it's fair game.

x2

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Tuesday, December 02, 2008 3:33 PM
2) "All-out" heads-up that is truly all out. If your car started as a J-body from the Lordstown Assembly Plant you can race, regardless of changes. Run what you brung, plain and simple!

Thats my poison.

Tuesday, December 02, 2008 5:19 PM
its not a tubed out car, just the hood, and reinforced uni-body\ladder bar rear end.
And for people adding there 2 cents in to Brandon's post, are you not guilty of that your self?

PJ, My 95 is not Street legal if your counting Emissions too, by that i mean, do like you did 2 years ago and drive it to the track, beat the piss out of it, and drive it home.

Ill go to your event also ryne, but why not give the trophy to HRC now?

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Tuesday, December 02, 2008 5:45 PM
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:I don't think there should be any split deciding on what power adder you run.

this should be an all out, no holds-barred contest.

I think there should be an absolute 'run what ya brung' class or sect that comes with no disclaimers, and no apologies.

slicks, skinnies, stripped interiors, sleeved blocks, one power adder, two, whatever.. long as its a 4 cylinder, and a J-body I think should be the only definitive rule.

lets see what jbodies are made of.

Exactly what I want to see.

Hypsy (TRU TurboSport Cav) wrote:Basically this sounds like you guys want nothing but another Quick 8 contest. Well tell me who's coming and I'll have the trophies personalized and sent out the week after the bash. No point in running that contest again after the bash.

Like I said before, the V6 guys owned the J-bash Quick 8 for years....... Now its a "Tuner" Bash, not J-body specific anymore..... What Brandon and I where looking for is what has been said over and over...... All Out Eco Vs. Quad4.

Hypsy (TRU TurboSport Cav) wrote:This needs to be something different where everyone can come out and have some fun. I plan on being in the Q8 and even I don't want the same thing again at this event. I'd rather try and beat 31 other guys in a bracket race than do 2 Q8s in a couple months.

How is your "bracket" event any different from any other race weekend then? This event needs to show what J-bodies can do. I recommend Fetter talk to you since you had a "IN" at GLD, and you had done an event there last year. The Tuner Bash Quick 8 should have a lot more competition for our J-bodies this year, and all the engine swaps are legal there (last year, 2nd place was a stock S/C 3800 in a '97 Z24). I'm sure if Raven shows up, even the Almighty Hahn wont stand a chance.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Tuesday, December 02, 2008 5:46 PM
Tinkles wrote:2) "All-out" heads-up that is truly all out. If your car started as a J-body from the Lordstown Assembly Plant you can race, regardless of changes. Run what you brung, plain and simple!

Thats my poison.

forgot to respond to this.....

...... So the cars assembled in Mexico are out?

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Tuesday, December 02, 2008 6:21 PM
wow this thread has blown up, well i'll start off with i orginally started the post just because there has been the ld9 vs eco battle for some time and i thought it would be fun to get together and have a friendly little battle doing what we all injoy doing, now honestly i dont really care who puts on the event, ryne has done it before and has contacts at gld so i think he should put it on, ill help if he needs it, but i have a wedding to plan for next year which is taking my time right now. i will say i like and agree with alot of what pj and speed are saying, but i really dont care who comes ill race whatever whoever i just would like to go to an event centered more around js and good ppl who like to race, everyone knows @!#$ happens so you never know what will happen, and there already looks to be some nice builds going on over the winter.

R.I.P. Brian Klocke, you will never be forgotten
Tuesday, December 02, 2008 6:44 PM
Boosted2point4 wrote:i really dont care who comes ill race whatever whoever i just would like to go to an event centered more around js and good ppl who like to race, everyone knows @!#$ happens so you never know what will happen, and there already looks to be some nice builds going on over the winter.

agreed.

there's a lot of fast cars on the org I've seen, and a lot I haven't. Everyone's setup seems to change every year.. its nice to get together for a race and check out how everyone's cars have evolved and gotten faster.

and I doubt I'll be driving the skwirl to the event this year.. if I do, I'm definitely having a truck and a trailer coming along as well in case I break it there to get it home.

a lot more power this year.. much greater chance of breaking something.

Tuesday, December 02, 2008 6:58 PM
I have mixed feelings on everything. I like the LD9 vs. Ecotec because of all the crap that gets said on here. I would love to see all out races between cars like Hahn and Brandon, and even Raven's, and whatever comes out of Team Green's stables. At the same time we can't expect n/a bolt on cars to stand a chance in a heads up. If we had different class's ex: all class, and bracket class we could probably get a bigger group of J's.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, December 02, 2008 6:59 PM
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:
Boosted2point4 wrote:i really dont care who comes ill race whatever whoever i just would like to go to an event centered more around js and good ppl who like to race, everyone knows @!#$ happens so you never know what will happen, and there already looks to be some nice builds going on over the winter.

agreed.

there's a lot of fast cars on the org I've seen, and a lot I haven't. Everyone's setup seems to change every year.. its nice to get together for a race and check out how everyone's cars have evolved and gotten faster.

and I doubt I'll be driving the skwirl to the event this year.. if I do, I'm definitely having a truck and a trailer coming along as well in case I break it there to get it home.

a lot more power this year.. much greater chance of breaking something.
x2 I can't wait to see how this all goes down...

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search