Fuel Filter Removal - Page 2 - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Fuel Filter Removal
Saturday, April 29, 2006 7:57 PM
Jackass wrote:Curious about this myself. I battled that damn clip for 2 hours and finally gave up. Figure that filter has been there for 5 years, it can be there for another 5.

If its like my '96 Cavy, just wait until the fuel pump goes out. The new fuel pump & assembly came with new lines.
About $270 (with tax) - just for the part.

Sunday, May 07, 2006 12:04 PM
just did the fuel filter on the wifes 02 ls sport. i removed that little clip that came on the filter.

that was pretty easy task. not sure why people think it is hard to do.

Sunday, May 07, 2006 5:10 PM
I just changed mine out on the car I just bought. 2000 Silver Z24 5 speed. Love it so far.

The first time you see these types of connections, it's a pain, but once you know how they work it isn't too bad. One thing you'll want to do is relieve the pressure. The Z24 has a lot more pressure than on my ZR2. I pulled the fuse for the fuel pump (under the hood) & cranked it over a few times before I took the filter off.

Needle nosed pliers worked pretty good to squeeze the clip. Just hold the nut on the filter with one wrench, then loosen the line with another....Not too bad except for the gas in the arm pit
Thursday, June 08, 2006 2:36 PM
Up to 99, they're a pain to work on.... break off the black piece first, you don't need it. Then pry it apart with some open-end wrenches.... I can do it in 2 minutes now

2000 and later are easy.... they don't have the horrid clip the older ones do. Much easier. You don't need to use the replacement clip that is pictured earlier in this thread.

Monday, June 12, 2006 7:19 AM
I just replaced the one on my daughter's '99, the black plastic POS clip. I went to the junkyard and cut off a section of plastic line with the green clip and spliced it into the '99 line. Not hard, just have to lower the tank. The other end of the filter was badly corroded and rusted solid, so I cut the metal line in two above the "S", took the whole thing out and used PB Blaster and got the metal fitting out and cleaned it up and reused it with a compression fitting to put it back together. Advance auto has everything to do the total job, the splices for the plastic line and the metal line with a new fitting for the other end.
Monday, April 14, 2008 7:07 PM
what a day i f@#$ked up my outline line on my fuel filter while tring to replace it. i had 2 types of tools to try to remove the POS black clip.

didnt work and i ended up cutting the outllet line off the filter.

but the left over piece is left on the outlet line. now i have to figure out how im going to remove the bad outlet line and fix this problem.

tomorrow i will take pics so you see the carnage :-(

i hope i dont have to change the whole outlet line that goes to the engine. i hope to just fix the end fitting there and re tap in it to somehow i wonder if autoparts store carries these fixes. or should i go to the junk yard and cut off the line and fix it in to my car?

~1996 Cavalier LS 2.4L (auto)

Monday, April 14, 2008 7:08 PM
forgot to hit the email me replies.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 10:40 AM

factory wide the POS black clip according to these instructions i was not able to get it out, what tool is needed?

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 5:33 AM
POS tools that didnt work!

PITA POS plastic black clip

You can see on the outlet line (feedline) the filters pipe is still stuck in there.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 5:58 AM
Calm down man. Those tools do work. The plastic ones work better than the metal one.

Remove that black "cap" you have on the line, grab the one tool that fits snug, and push in on the tool and line. Between pushing and wiggling it will come out.

Just remember even the simplest things wont work when you get pissed off.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 8:02 AM
yeah i tryed that tinkles but i couldnt get it to work and tryed several things. you know on the MK3 supras its 100 times harder to do and i was able to since i have small hands, and i thought this one is going to be a piece of cake.

how should i fix this now, cuz the 4 metal clips inside the outlet line have bent and i dont think it will be able to grab to the new filter after i get the piece thats stuck in.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 8:22 AM
If the clips are bent and your worried about it not holding the new one, i look at it like this - it should hold since the old one isnt coming out.

Try a pair of pliers placed behind the tool(holding the tool in place) and holding the junk line.

Presistance or having someone else give it a try usually works for me. Also what causes me trouble is that the tool isnt pushed in far enough.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 8:34 AM
ok i will try it at lunch my friend is coming over to help. thanks.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 9:18 AM
When I bought my 97 cavalier my fuel filter was locked on there. The quick disconnect stuff was broken.

I ended up buying a 18 dollar GM quick connect fuel line repair kit from either autozone or advanced auto part. Good as new now and I can change the filter in 30 seconds with a screwdriver (to push in the tab) if I remember correctly.

99 cav 2.2L 212,000 miles
97 cav 2.2L 110,000 miles
91 cav 2.2L 236,000 miles RIP
04 Silverado Z71 Ext.Cab 55,000 miles
01 Suzuki SV650 22,000 miles
97 Arctic Cat ZRT 600 6,000 miles
Wednesday, April 16, 2008 10:31 AM
ok i made things worst by trying to remove the broken pipe end. and ended up kinking the nylon line.

this is my new current plan to fix it, what do you all think?

new plan:

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 11:26 AM
The only thing about that plan that i dont like is the barbed reducer. I dont trust them. I would fab something up with compression fittings. NAPA or Carquest should carry them.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 1:53 PM
subscribing this is something i have to deal with soon too

Thursday, April 17, 2008 5:01 AM
one important step i didnt do was remove the metal fitting 1st with your wrenches. so make sure you do that 1st then try to take off the black plastic clip junk.

also depressureise your fuel system.

removing gas cap. putting the key in one position like two times. and disconnect the battary.

Thursday, April 17, 2008 8:12 AM
Easier way to relive the fuel pressure is to just pull the fuel pump's fuse/relay and start the car and let it die.

Friday, April 18, 2008 5:08 AM
Letxen3 wrote:one important step i didnt do was remove the metal fitting 1st with your wrenches. so make sure you do that 1st then try to take off the black plastic clip junk.

also depressureise your fuel system.

removing gas cap. putting the key in one position like two times. and disconnect the battary.

Removing gas cap to depressurize the fuel system?

Your tank is not pressureized. The lines leaving the tank are.

99 cav 2.2L 212,000 miles
97 cav 2.2L 110,000 miles
91 cav 2.2L 236,000 miles RIP
04 Silverado Z71 Ext.Cab 55,000 miles
01 Suzuki SV650 22,000 miles
97 Arctic Cat ZRT 600 6,000 miles
Friday, April 18, 2008 6:40 PM
in the repair manual it says to remove the gas cap.

Friday, April 18, 2008 9:15 PM
Jake wrote:in the repair manual it says to remove the gas cap.

I dont think your reading the manual right. The pump pulls fuel from the tank, pressureises it, and sends it to the fuel rail. The gas cap just keeps the tank sealed and prevents fuel from spilling out.

Sunday, April 20, 2008 9:27 AM
fix that son of a B... i got compression fittings from murreys speed and custom store

Friday, June 02, 2017 2:01 PM
I'm having similar issues getting my filter loose at the disconnect on my 99 Z. I have changed this multiple times on both my cavaliers and it's never been an issue. For whatever reason I cannot get this thing to release this time. It usually takes 5 minutes to change this thing. I didn't recall my car having the plastic sleeve on the outside last time but anyways that's what's on it. I've tried everything on this post minus cutting the filter off. I've actually got both sets of tools pictured in one of the previous post and I don't have enough room to get any of these in there. I will post a pic of the style fitting on mine. I'm afraid to put to much more stress on this thing before I damage the line or break the entire plastic piece. If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it.
Attachments
IMG_2283.JPG (1933k)

Friday, June 02, 2017 2:28 PM
Another angel
Attachments
IMG_2284.JPG (1942k)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search