1998 Sunfire Overheating - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1998 Sunfire Overheating
Sunday, June 10, 2007 8:32 PM
Ok I know a lot of these have been posted, but I can't find a solution yet. Here is my problem. I have a 98 Sunfire with a 2200 engine. It has been overheating and I am lost. Here is a new parts list: Head, head gasket, water pump, thermostat, temp sending unit, metal coolant pipe (from head to upper hose) The only parts not new are: heater core, cap, and some hoses. The car with idle all day with no issues, but as soon as I rev the engine, the temp comes up (even with heat on full blast) It does no "overheat" but comes close, then at random the temp will go back to normal. The fan is working and comes on when it should, but has no effect on temp. The upper hose feels hot at the metal part, but is cool by the radiator. I have bled the system, but got no air from the bleed screw. I even tried running it for a while with the cap off and still got the same thing. Also the coolant does not bubble up in the reservoir either. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: 1998 Sunfire Overheating
Sunday, June 10, 2007 9:22 PM
You said nothing about a new radiator. Sounds to me you have a clogged up radiator.

Monday, June 11, 2007 9:23 AM
Sorry I guess I forgot one part in the NEW list, The radiatior is also new.
Monday, June 11, 2007 8:42 PM
pull the thermostat and put just the o-ring seal back in. Run it like that and see if it still does it. Could have gotten a messed up thermostat.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 6:19 PM
Ok, so today I got the bright idea to bypass the heater core and see what happens. Well guess what....problem gone. I guess I need to buy a new heater core now. Maybe some other peoplw with a similar problem might want to try this. Take out the metal pipes that run to and from the heater core and cut the short one off (Mine were in bad shape and need replacement anyway) Use this short pipe to connect the hose from the back of the t-stat to the upper radiator hose. Clamp it down, refill coolant and off you go. My car kind of sputtered a little bit when I did this, so I'm going to just replace the core and those 2 pipes. Hopefully this can help someone else out. Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Wednesday, March 09, 2016 10:29 AM
Newbie to forum. My coolant leak turned out to be from hole in reservoir. $300 to replace plastic container. Hope to get ideas to save $$ on repairs.
Sunday, May 01, 2016 5:01 PM
you could have easily gone to a pull-your-parts yard and got a reservoir for less then $20
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search