Sunroof stuck open and crooked - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Sunroof stuck open and crooked
Wednesday, November 11, 2009 12:04 PM
A couple of years ago, I had problems with my sunroof (on a 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT) not closing all the way when it was just a little bit cold out. I replaced the sunroof's motor with a used one and the problem was solved. However, recently, my sunroof got stuck open again...however, this time one side is going further back than the other...it seems like the one side would move and the other one wouldn't because it was slightly stuck. How can I realign the two again (if that is indeed the problem?)

Re: Sunroof stuck open and crooked
Wednesday, November 11, 2009 1:12 PM
So it sounds like the track is messed up

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 1:27 PM
yeah there's either something in the track or its dirty. clean it out and throw some grease in there...10 years of gunk buildup.

Brian

Thursday, November 12, 2009 10:39 AM
how can i move the one side, but not the other to get them aligned?
Thursday, November 12, 2009 12:21 PM
ok...so i ended up take the sunroof off...does anyone have any pics of the sunroof assembly with the sunroof off? one side has the bars(?) extending up and the other side is in the closed position.

also, what kind of grease is best to use? i am using this white grease stuff which looks kinda nasty....
Friday, November 13, 2009 8:02 AM
is there a way to move the sunroof manually?
Friday, November 13, 2009 9:14 AM
Should just get it closed and never use it again. Sunroofs will always have problems.
Friday, January 15, 2010 8:04 AM
Did you ever get this fixed? I recently had to take mine apart. Let me know if you need some help here.
Friday, January 15, 2010 10:08 AM
Thank you so much for asking....I was able to move the sunroof back manually and rehook up everything (so it is now closed) but now it is stuck in the closed position and won't move back. I haven't tried it in awhile since it is now winter, but it would still be nice to get it working again....any suggestions? thanks again!
Sunday, February 28, 2010 11:23 AM
How did you end up taking it apart and what did you have to do? Difficulty?
Monday, March 01, 2010 6:04 PM
there is a spot for a hex head in the middle of that little red plastic gear. stick an allen wrench in there and get it all the way open.

clean it all out/spray some white lithium greese in there. open/close it manually a few times jut to get everything lubed up then you should be good to go

Eat my shift

Sunday, March 07, 2010 3:16 PM
Yeah I ended up taking out the glass to take load off everything, removed the motor and returned it to the closed position. Got the tracks lined up and put the glass back in, manually put it down, put the motor back in. It was good to go. One side froze and the gear slipped on the cable and voila, my problem lol
Saturday, May 26, 2012 12:42 PM
is there a way to test the sunroof's motor to make sure that is the problem?
Wednesday, August 05, 2015 11:51 AM
Hey mine is the same way it happend Monday any suggestions? ? Would be much appreciated
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search