The "Help! My a/c quit!" post - Page 3 - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: ac quit
Monday, January 30, 2006 8:22 PM
I have a really important question i need help with asap. Can you get a non-a/c belt for a 96' sunfire 2.4 GT. Its winter now, and my a/c clutch went bad and i'll be fixing it in summer, any ideas?? please help, thanks

1988 Cadillac Cimarron - R134a conversion in 2K1
Tuesday, March 07, 2006 8:39 AM
Looking under the hood, I am able to tell that my 1988 Cadillac Cimarron was converted to R134a in May of 2K1, and the compressor seems to be kicking in perfectly, but the air is not cold. Have I lost my gas? I know I can simply refill the gas, but I first want to know if I need to lubricate anything, and should I be worried that I will lose my gas again before the winter is over.
Re: a/c quit
Wednesday, June 07, 2006 4:51 PM
I have had the same problems as IMPRTFIGHTR and Sod Tiwaz...minus the loud bang part.

One day when I turned on my a/c, it was warm air when just the night before it was cold. I figured something was wrong, so I finally turned down my music and i heard a whining (more like screeching) sound coming from the belt side of the engine bay. I took some WD-40 and sprayed it between the a/c compressor pulley and the compressor itself, like the area where the clutch is, and the screeching went away for a few minutes. When the lube wore off, the screeching came back. I assumed I needed a new compressor, and ordered a remanufactured one that day (along with the accumulator and orifice tube and new oil and suva). However, upon reading this post, I would like to try to get a diagnosis from one of the couple experts that have posted while I can still return the compressor. The sound is pretty faint from inside the car (with no music) but it's somewhat loud standing next to the engine bay. If anyone can diagnose this for sure, please help! Thanks.

Tim
Re: The
Tuesday, July 04, 2006 3:32 PM
I have a Chevy Cavalier - 1998 model (2.4L). My A/C quit working recently and I took it in for repairs. The technician could not locate the problem and inserted a dye into the system and refilled the coolant. The A/c quit again in a couple of days. I am told that the Condenser has a hole in it and the coolant is leaking out from there. The compressor seems to be okay. I have been advised to replace the condenser - which is quite expensive. I was wondering if there is any way to fix this hole in the condenser... without having to replace it. I am looking for a temporary fix.... Any ideas/ suggestions would be appreciated.
Wednesday, July 05, 2006 4:50 PM
temporary and fix is a contradiction of terms. To fix it, you seem to have the answer. To temporarily delay the problem really depends on the size of the hole. If it's small enough, a leak sealant might stop the leak... temporarily.
Tuesday, July 11, 2006 4:44 PM
What happens if you dont use your ac in your car fora long time, any affects; like i dont care if my ac never works again, will it affect anything else by me not useing it?
Thanks./..

98 j-body sedan

Re: The "Help! My a/c quit!" post
Friday, July 28, 2006 3:12 PM
aight i read through the entire thread, and i have a pretty good understanding of whats going on. but i stil have a couple q's.

my gf's a/c hasnt worked for over a year (maybe two?). the compressor turns on, and there are no leaks. the a/c just started blowing warm suddenly (while driving). i used the a/c gauges when i had access to them ( used to work at a dealership), it lookied like the level side was fine, and if i remember correctly the suction side wasnt. this lead me to believe there was a clog in the system, and to start by replacing the orifice valve.

am i correct on this one?

also my friend (a mechanic) told me it would be a good idea to replace another part while i was at it, as he said, if the a/c hasnt worked on a while, it would need replacing. im 99% sure he said to replace the dryer - is this necessary?

also i tried finding a new orifice tube/expansion valve at the local parts store (autozone/oreilly's) but neither could find it in their system. i also checked on their website and could pull nothing up for myself - any ideas where i can get one?

this thread is old so hopefully someone will respond! TIA
Thursday, August 17, 2006 10:31 AM
Ok if there are no cutoff switches on a '98 2.4 because it is a variable displacement compressor, then what can keep the compressor clutch from locking? PLEASE HELP!!! I have been reading A/C threads for three days.
Sunday, September 03, 2006 8:56 AM
Okay, I read through this post before I performed service to my AC. One thing that I think needs to be made very clear is that the service point with the BLUE plug is the one that you will plug the R-134 cans into. It says to plug into the Lower service point, but in our cars the lower service point is actually at the higher point in the car. It's right there up top with the blue plug. In most cases, it is the ONLY plug that the can's valve will fit into.

My AC went warm in one night. I woke up the next morning and my AC was warm. I bought a can of R-134 for $25 (it was a nice can, with a valve and a guage on it) and when I tested my pressure it was just slightly lower than what it was supposed to be. This is a good indication of what one individual said on this thread that it is NORMAL to have to recharge your R-134 at some point during your car's life simply because the valve's and seals and such start to get old and leak a very very minimal amount of R-134.

SO basically I tested it, and it was just a little too low. So I put most of that can of R-134 into it until it was at an acceptable pressure. Once I did that, my AC works just fine again.

They also sell R-134 with stop leak which could be useful for strengthening the holding power of those seals.
Re: A/C problem 99 Z24
Wednesday, January 24, 2007 6:23 AM
Im having the same issue. I press the AC switch and nothing happens, I dont hear the compressor come on. Last summer when i used it, I could hear the compressor and fan come on. I dont know what the problem could be. I also hear a grinding noise, could that be the compressor clutch?
Thursday, May 24, 2007 4:45 PM
I keep filling up the freon with my professional guages. pressure is around 50-60. Just it does want to hold the freon for more than 4-5 days. i put in the leak detector but found nothing. Whats up.? thanks.

Thursday, May 24, 2007 4:45 PM
otherwise it work really good!
Tuesday, June 12, 2007 1:39 PM
Has anyone had the problem where when their a/c is on their engine continuously revs from 500 to over a grand and back down again? I think it seems like a poor wiring connection somehwere to the a/c any thoughts or know hows? Thanks.

RedCavi2008
Saturday, June 23, 2007 4:17 PM
anyone know aboutmy problem...?
Saturday, July 07, 2007 2:56 PM
When I stop at a red light for a while my a/c compressor kicks on and off a bunch of times

Is this a sign of low freon?

Thursday, August 09, 2007 2:53 PM
strapped wrote:When I stop at a red light for a while my a/c compressor kicks on and off a bunch of times

same here and if you sit long enough the eninge will start to overheat. I've seen it mentioned a few times in this thread but no response. Anyone have any suggestions?
Thursday, August 09, 2007 3:27 PM
supernova00 wrote:
strapped wrote:When I stop at a red light for a while my a/c compressor kicks on and off a bunch of times

same here and if you sit long enough the eninge will start to overheat. I've seen it mentioned a few times in this thread but no response. Anyone have any suggestions?

Since I had this problem I checked the levels of the r-134 myself and it was fine. So I took it in to the dealer and had them check it, they tested and said the pressure was fine. They were not able to recreate the problem. They did e-vac the system and recharge it, and I havent had the issue since then.

I also searched this problem before I made the post about it without much luck. Sorry I can't be of more help, I still dont know what caused the issue.

If you figure it out, please post the answer. (I hate when someone comes in and goes..."I fixed the problem, thanks". Then leaves without telling everyone what fixed it.)

lol.

Friday, August 10, 2007 8:30 AM
Yeah I'll make sure to post it. If anyone has any clue please post. I have searched everywhere and really do not want and cannot take it into a shop.
Wednesday, August 15, 2007 1:45 PM
Quote:

same here and if you sit long enough the eninge will start to overheat

If the engine is overheating, the a/c won't work properly. Is the only time that the car overheats when you're sitting still? If so, check the operation of your cooling fan, which will also affect the a/c.

1989 Z24 Convertible - Dust Covered
2006 tC - Dust Covered, but driven more
Wednesday, August 15, 2007 8:43 PM
Well, no one has answered the question I was looking for. I noticed it mentioned at one point in the thread.

The A/C works great, nice and cold for about 5 minutes then it begins to blow hot air for another 5 minutes or so... just enough to make the car unbearably warm, then it blows cold again for a couple of minutes, then war, again, etc, etc... This occurs no matter what the RPM's are at. I could have the pedal floored and the rpm's near red line and there is stil warm/hot air being blown. While the car is idle, it blows nothing but warm air.

Any help on this one would be greatly appreciated. I do not want to take it to the dealer if I don't have to.
Thursday, August 16, 2007 7:02 AM
Aaron Zeitler wrote:Well, no one has answered the question I was looking for. I noticed it mentioned at one point in the thread.

The A/C works great, nice and cold for about 5 minutes then it begins to blow hot air for another 5 minutes or so... just enough to make the car unbearably warm, then it blows cold again for a couple of minutes, then war, again, etc, etc... This occurs no matter what the RPM's are at. I could have the pedal floored and the rpm's near red line and there is stil warm/hot air being blown. While the car is idle, it blows nothing but warm air.

Any help on this one would be greatly appreciated. I do not want to take it to the dealer if I don't have to.

Step #1 for diagnosing a/c is always take a high and low side pressure readings. Anything else is like performing brain surgery with a spoon.

1989 Z24 Convertible - Dust Covered
2006 tC - Dust Covered, but driven more

Sunday, August 26, 2007 4:59 AM
Alright, Took the car to a chevy dealer and they checked the freon levels. They added about 1lb and some dye. Still the same problem. I know that on the wires leading down to the a/c compressor there was a little white box that snapped together over the two wires. This was about 12" - 15" before the compressor. It measured anout 1" long x 3/4" wide x 3/4" thick. Inside this box was a copper wire tap and it was filled with a type of silicone. This box has been removed from my car and the dealer parts department doesn't have it on the ac wiring diagram so they don't know what it is. If anyone has this little white box, can you tell me what it is, what it does, and possibly a part number.
Sunday, August 26, 2007 6:52 AM
That little white box was connected to a black and green wire. I checked the hanes manual and couldn't find anything. but then again I didn't feel like decifering the wiring diagram.
Wednesday, August 29, 2007 4:22 PM
Well, took it back to the dealer and they examined it again. Turns out that there was a loose wire on the connector to the compressor. That is what was causing the A/C to turn on and off since it would sometimes make contact and sometimes not.

Still do not know what that little white box I mentioned is. Nothing in the Haynes manual about it, nor at the dealer. Anyone have some clues?
Wednesday, August 29, 2007 4:23 PM
Well, took it back to the dealer and they examined it again. Turns out that there was a loose wire on the connector to the compressor. That is what was causing the A/C to turn on and off since it would sometimes make contact and sometimes not.

Still do not know what that little white box I mentioned is. Nothing in the Haynes manual about it, nor at the dealer. Anyone have some clues?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search