Transmission problems - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Transmission problems
Wednesday, August 12, 2015 6:38 PM
I have a 02 Z24 auto. Today I reverse the car like normal and when I went to shift her into park the car started acting like she is stuck in neutral. The car doesn't act like its in gear but my reverse lights are on. Fluid levels are fine and there was no gradual drop off of transmission performance. Of course the car won't start anymore since the car thinks its in reverse. Anyone heard of something like this happening. I haven't had a chance to inspect the shift control cable or transmission control switch so that will be the first thing I check in the AM.

Re: Transmission problems
Thursday, August 13, 2015 8:30 PM
I have a 04 LS which has had a vibration in the front end ever since I bought the car. I only have 4500 miles on it and have not done any rough driving with it. Only highway driving. I have had the tires balanced 6 times and have even had an entirely brand new set of tires put on the car, and there is still a vibration. The Transmission Repair dealer cant figure out what is wrong. Its obviously not the tires since I've had 2 sets on it and each set has been balanced 3 times. Even the dealer told me that with these $15,000 balancing machines that they use, if it were a balancing problem, that would have corrected it. The vibration starts at 55 and is at its worst at 65. Its really bad if I am going 65 or 70 on the highway and suddenly take my foot off the gas without hitting the brake. You can actually look at the steering wheel and see it vibrating. Everything in the car shakes (rearview mirror, passenger seat, etc). Any suggestions or comments?
Re: Transmission problems
Thursday, August 13, 2015 10:39 PM
@ Original poster.
There should be a bracket right by the transmission gear selector that has two cables hooked on to it. and right on the bracket is the adjusters for your cables. You may have to pull them out of the bracket to unlock the adjuster, I kind of forget. But if this is a little out of adjustment you wont be able to put the car into park.

@second poster.
There are more then just tires in the front end of your car. If the tire shop was smart they would have called a front end inspection. Which would check your wheel bearings and CV axles and tie rods. All of which would cause vibrations if worn down.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search