'00 Z24 radiator, water pump or air... - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
'00 Z24 radiator, water pump or air...
Wednesday, September 09, 2015 7:15 PM
So, the issues started with a coolant leak and an overheating problem. I changed the water outlet on my '00 Z24 with the 2.4 four years ago. Thought this may be the issue again. Took it off and it is still in good shape. Replaced the gasket then re-installed it. Eventually found the leak. The quick disconnect coupler connecting the hard pipe coming from the water pump to the rubber hose on the supply to the heater core was broken into three pieces. Removed that and used a hose clamp with success. Meaning no more leak.

Still have an overheating issue though. Thought it may be the thermostat. Got the hard pipe disconnected and found that there wasn't even a thermostat installed. Installed a new thermostat and still having overheating issues. I'm thinking it could be one of three things. 1. The water pump is broken, 2. the radiator is clogged or 3. may have air in the system. Not sure of the flow for the system. Does it leave the bottom hose, go through the water pump, then the heater core, then the engine, then the upper hose and back into the radiator? I have no pressure on the upper hose. It is soft but super hot to the touch. I also do not have any heat coming from the heater. I don't see any kind of coolant circulating through the coolant reservoir. Stumped and need to get this fixed ASAP as it is a daily driver for one of my kids.

Any help, thoughts or comments are much appreciated...

'00 Z-24, 2.4L, Automatic, Stock

Re: '00 Z24 radiator, water pump or air...
Monday, September 21, 2015 10:34 AM
Luckily I didn't have to wait for a comment from anyone. Ended up being trapped air in the system. Operational temperature hovers right around 198 which is right where it should be as the normal range is 189 - 207.

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 3:07 AM
I was going to say it was probably just air...

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, July 11, 2016 12:43 AM
How would I go about checking for air in the line, and removing air if that is the case
Monday, July 11, 2016 4:15 AM
I found the air in my system totally by mistake. I had the new water pump in hand ready to try and conquer the removal and replacement of the old pump. I jacked the passenger side up and thought I heard a gurgling sound. Took off the reservoir cap and jacked it up a little more. More gurgling... Lowered the car and jacked it up twice more until I no longer heard gurgling.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search