Starter issue? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Starter issue?
Friday, November 20, 2015 6:21 PM
Having some issues with my daughters 99 Cavalier, 2.2, automatic. At times when attempting to start the car it will just click. After a few attempts it eventually starts (sometimes). Battery is fine! I suspected the starter this last time the car was acting up. So I tried the old screwdriver jump the starter/solenoid trick. Starter cranked, no problem. Now car starts with the key again with no problems (yet). I've checked all the connections and all seems well. Can the starter have a flat spot or be seizing up periodically? And by me jumping it with a screwdriver have freed it up? Any ideas or suggestions on what to do from here? I may just change the starter.

Re: Starter issue?
Friday, November 20, 2015 8:42 PM
Ok some simple advice.As long as your battery is showing at least 12.9 volts this indicates a good battery and alternator and good grounding.The real simple way to check for a Dead spot on your starter's solenoid is use a long extension and place on top of the solenoid and tap the end of the extension with a hammer.One to two taps.This make the internals click past the dead (electrical conductivity)to ingnite the electrical charge and engage the starter motor to engage and move the flywheel.Soley based on your information it sounds like you have a starter just wearing out.I would remove the starter and get it bench tested at auto zone or advance auto for free.Side NOTE bench testing does not always duplicate (dead spotting) on the starter motor.However if your having to arch the charge to engage the starter points to a failing starter.I would invest in a good low cost multimeter for future use to help narrow a cranking,charging or failing battery problem personally.Granted you could take the car to either store and get a charging/cranking system check,however in my opinion your post indicates a specific problem with the starter and not some random problem.I say NEW starter replacement and if you buy a Good multimeter it should have a good booklet with steps to check the general electrical like the battery,alternator and starter.I have a sunpro which has a very good user manual walking thru the said checks.The simple remove starter get bench tested and even if it passes buy a new reman starter as your car issue's indicate a failing starter.Other wise it will crap out and not engage period when the motor is burnt up.

Re: Starter issue?
Friday, November 20, 2015 9:48 PM
Yea either the starter or battery

ReD RaiN
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search