washer fluid tubing repair - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
washer fluid tubing repair
Friday, December 18, 2015 6:13 AM
2001 cavalier 2.2 5-speed manual

Clutch repair nightmare/disaster from back in January that nearly killed me and has caused a year's worth of stress that I could write a book about. Among many other things that these people broke was the hard plastic black tubing near the battery that comes up from the washer fluid pump. I went without it for the entire year, but planned on finally fixing it during these two weeks i actually have a place to work on it. I they broke off a section of this tubing about 6 inches long and yesterday I went to both advance auto parts and autozone to ask what my options were. i figured this must be a common thing, but was shocked to find no really great easy or cheap options. The guy at Autozone looked at it and sold me a foot-long section of black rubber hose that
is supposed to be precisely for this purpose. I couldn't test it there on site since there wasn't any fluid in the tank. Got home, tested it out and water sprayed everywhere all over everything under the hood. Found that there were additional cracks on one end so cut that a bit further then reconnected the hose. Tried again - same problem only on other end which is way down under the battery and so i had to remove the battery to cut more off. By this time, I had to switch to the remaining, longer section of hose to make it fit. Finally was able to attach both sides - got in and tested again and the hose just blew right off the bottom connection and sprayed a load more water all over the rusted and flaking-off battery shelf. Spent two hours, got nothing done - am right back where I started only with about a foot of tubing missing now, and the hose that I bought is obviously worthless and not going to work.

My question is - how in the hell is this supposed to be fixed and/or replaced? I can't even see - much less get to - the section of the tubing that is anywhere near the pump way down at the bottom front of the driver's side. And to make things worse, I have a very sketchy, loose positive battery bolt connection so I am not happy about having to screw around with touching that to deal with a problem that still isn't fixed.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so - how did you fix it so that the thing STAYED ON and didn't leak everywhere?

thanks

Re: washer fluid tubing repair
Friday, December 18, 2015 11:02 PM
Never had to replace one but any tube that fits should work. Maybe clamp the ends with a hose clamp if it wont stay on

ReD RaiN
Saturday, December 19, 2015 8:53 AM
Is the hose too big to slide on to the tubing? are you using hose clamps? Make sure the hose needs a little force and persuasion to slide on, then hose clamp the hose ends tight but not too tight to crack the plastic. I've replaced washer fluid lines with washer fluid hose before and haven't had any problems.
Sunday, December 20, 2015 1:58 AM
You can probably get another tube from a junk yard car, if you have one in your area.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search