Trunk opener makes noise but doesn't open - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Trunk opener makes noise but doesn't open
Thursday, January 14, 2016 11:28 AM
1996 2,4L Cavalier LS Convertible with 85,000 miles.

When I press the trunk-opener button on the key fob, I hear a clicking sound from the trunk (and the interior lights turn on) but the trunk doesn't open. It opens with the key. There's nothing jamming it. Any idea how to fix it?

Interestingly, I had this problem a few years ago. Then the problem went away after about a year. Now it's back after working for a couple years.

Re: Trunk opener makes noise but doesn't open
Thursday, January 14, 2016 8:48 PM
It is either the actuator in not working fully to release the lock mechanism or the maybe a mild adjustment in the trunk lid latch which has two screws can be adjusted and or lubricated to make it work properly.I would first clean your trunk latch with some brake cleaner and then put some white lithium grease on the latch (very lightly) and make NO adjustment to the latch.As long as your key fob battery is not weak? Try the simple route.Now your surely asking what the heck is white lithium grease? Napa sells this in a small container or you can go to auto zone or advance auto and buy some grease in a aerosol can that will say white lithium grease.Doe's the same purpose just in a can.On a whim try cleaning the trunk seal rubber and apply some say armor all or tire shine to luster up the trunk seal to make it less resistance to sticking to the metal as any real tacky stickiness from the trunk seal to the trunk lid could cause the trunk seal to literally stick to the trunk metal.In short seal sticking to trunk metal and actuator works but seal is stuck to the metal.Tons of info I know just do the good general checks clean the rubber seal,and lubricate it with a good silicone tire shine armor all or etc and clean the trunk latch mechanism and lube that too.If after doing the clean and lube and actuator is still not working to release it could be a weak actuator as even though it works it is not fully engaging unless your key fob battery is weak (on a whim) on the battery to the fob.

Thursday, January 14, 2016 9:50 PM
Maybe the cable itself fell off. I actually had to zip tie my cable in place cuz it wouldn't stay

ReD RaiN
Friday, January 15, 2016 8:00 PM
I would do a good general inspection of things prior to making any changes.I while making some good suggestions forgot the obvious thing just look for the simple things! The above post surely made a good point.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search