05 cranks but no start - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
05 cranks but no start
Thursday, June 09, 2016 12:54 PM
OK guys I need some help asap! I have an 05 cavalier that is my dirt track car. It was running fine up until yesterday, the battery was dead so i charged it up and now it won't start. When I turn the key forward I can hear the fuel pump prime ( checked pressure at the Schrader valve 58-60 psi while cranking). If I shoot some starting fluid in the intake it will run until the starting fluid is all gone. The relay under the dash ( I believe it's the DRL relay) will click once and then after the fuel pump stops priming it will click 5 or so more times. I can crank it all day and nothing will happen. I am assuming it's getting spark since it will fire on the starting fluid. I don't have a gauge cluster but I don't think it's the pass lock system since it won't start at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: 05 cranks but no start
Friday, June 10, 2016 7:18 PM
Just to follow up on this since it seems like whenever someone has a problem they never actually say what fixed the issue. So I thought I was getting fuel pressure, and initially I was, but the pass lock was shutting off the fuel pump after 2 seconds or so. My gauge was still reading 60 psi because the fuel was not being bled from the system via the injectors. I also found that if I disconnected the battery and reconnected it, the car would actually start for 2 seconds one time and every attempt after that it would only crank. At this point I realized that I most likely had a passlock problem. Not knowing how to test the bcm or pcm I went to the ignition switch. I tried measuring voltage coming from the passlock resistor which is on top of the lock cylinder. It has 3 wires (white and 2 black) but only 2 of them are functional. One of the black wires goes to a ground (black) and the other one is positive (yellow). I got no voltage coming from the resistor so I decided to investigate further. I pulled the lock cylinder out and inspected it and found nothing out of the ordinary, so I turned my attention to the other side of the ignition switch ( where the wires and 2 plugs go into it.) After taking off the 2 screws (these look like an inverted torx head) with a pair of pliers since I had no socket that would work with them, I pulled the black housing off. The housing is essentially 3 pieces, a round thing on the front (this must come off first) and then a top and bottom piece. After taking off the top piece you will see 4 contacts, one of mine was considerably darker than the other ones. So I cleaned all of them up with sandpaper and put it back together. Putting it back together actually took me about 30 minutes because I kept putting it back together wrong. The car would want to start the second I tried hooking up the battery. With a little trial and error I got that straightened out and the car works perfectly again. Sorry for the long winded post but I wanted to be as detailed as possible to try and help someone who may be having a similar situation as me.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search