HEAVY Vibration when Braking. PLEASE help - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HEAVY Vibration when Braking. PLEASE help
Monday, November 21, 2016 11:26 AM
I have been chasing a really bad vibration that I feel when braking on my 2001 manual trans cavalier with about 200K miles. Its been going on for over a year, but seems to be getting worse. I feel that its related to the rear of the vehicle, but am not sure. The vibration is felt throughout the car and only when I apply the brakes. If I take my hands off the steering wheel, and apply the brakes, I still feel the same vibration. I've had the rotors machined, and new pads put on. If I pull on the e-brake I feel the vibration, so that's also why I assume its not the front rotors. I just got done putting all new drums, shoes, and even wheel bearings on the rear, and it made no difference.... (btw I replaced the rear drums and shoes a year ago, but thought that maybe I got warped drums, but the new set made no improvement.)

The hub assembly feels tight, and I have no grinding noise. I also just had a state inspection, and although they saw some heat signs on the front rotors, and recommended replacing those, although I don't think that my symptoms point to the front brakes, especially since I have turned the rotors and put on new pads within the last year too. They also said they saw some play in the front control arms, so that is something that I am considering replacing, but don't think that's my vibration problem that I feel with braking, although perhaps when applying only the rear brakes, its somehow showing its ugly head elsewhere.... My other thought is to replace the rear bushings on the "control arms", as with that being attached right by the wheels, perhaps rear braking is could lead to a bad vibration that is felt throughout the car if those bushings are shot, but who knows.

I would appreciate any suggestions on where to look next.

Re: HEAVY Vibration when Braking. PLEASE help
Monday, November 21, 2016 10:56 PM
If the brakes have been replaced then yea id look into control arm bushings or strut mounts. I kno broken springs and shocks can have weird effects also

ReD RaiN
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search