04 cav p0756 shift solenoid b stuck - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
04 cav p0756 shift solenoid b stuck
Wednesday, April 19, 2017 3:57 PM
So yesterday I suddenly lost my reverse 1st 3rd and 4th gears in my 04 auto cavalier. Cel and trac off lights came on as well. P0756 shift solenoid b stuck. Any clue what to do next? Did a search of the forum but nothing turned up.

Re: 04 cav p0756 shift solenoid b stuck
Thursday, April 20, 2017 5:24 AM
Hi Tom,

The first suggestion in the factory service manual is to check the transmission fluid.
Reading the manual, that is not as simple as checking the engine oil level.
After that is just gets more complicated, you would need a special GM power train controller scanning tool.

Good luck, Peter
Thursday, April 20, 2017 5:52 PM
Had a local shop put it on the rack and check fluid. Level is good and color is good. No bvious issues like debris in it either. Discovered when they went to pull it out the bay that the trans is locked in any gear including neutral and will only go forward in drive. They had to drag it out of the bay. This has to be some sort of electrical issue.
Friday, April 21, 2017 5:19 AM
Hi Tom,

You are probably correct about this being some electrical problem.
You could start by checking the wiring/electrical connector to the transmission.
The connector is a 20-pin circular type connector, you need to push the tabs on the side inwards to disconnect. Then you can see if there is any contamination/corrosion.

If that does not help, you probably need access to a GM scanning tool.
I guess you can take your car to place that has that tool and can fix your transmission with the help of that.
Alternately, if you are adventurous enough, and do not need your car right away, you can explore doing it yourself.
There are GM compatible software available for a PC, this one I found with a quick search:
Your text to link here...
The ELM327 based hardware is an ODB2 interface chip to USB (or Bluetooth), such cables and adapters can be found on eBay or at other places, and they are not that expensive. Again, here is an example:
Your text to link here...

I am sure there are other alternatives to the scanning software and hardware, so do a search on your own!

Good luck, Peter
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search