EcoTec water in oil other than the obvious? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
EcoTec water in oil other than the obvious?
Saturday, May 13, 2017 7:32 PM
In 2013 I yanked the 2.2 ecotec out of my 2005 Cavalier Base to rebuild it. It ran great but had 160K on it. No oil leak. Needed to add a pint of water every month (350 miles) or so. No visible external leaks. Jump to 2017. The engine has been sitting in the garage all this time. I never got around to a rebuild but the other engine had a cracked head that leaked oil so I put the original one back in. Other than the oil pressure sensor nothing that didnt stay with the car (injector rail, PS pump, intake, header..) was swapped either time.

I put about 3 quarts of oil from the oil engine, measured in a 5 Qt jug, in & added another quart. Interestingly non showed on the dipstick. Thinkin I cant count I added one more Qt. Still none on stick. "OK, this is at least 4 Qts & maybe 5. I'll get er running & check the oil hot."

I got the battery charged & she kicked over. Last thing to do is to add water. If I recall it should hold 4+ gallons of water. After 5 gallons Im thinking this is a bit much, I pull the dipstick to see if there is water in the oil & water comes pouring out of the dip stick tube. I pulled the tube & let the water out. Im guessing at least 3 gallas came out. Didnt measure.

My question is is there some place in the bottom end where water can leak into the oil? If it were a head gasket there would not have been that much water in the pan.

Guess tomorrow I will yank the pan & pour water in the cooling system & see where it come out if I can.

Dang. I shoulda swapped heads like I was going to. Dang.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search