Car wont crank (Intermittent) - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Car wont crank (Intermittent)
Wednesday, June 07, 2017 6:58 PM
So I have an odd issue.. i bought my cavalier used a couple years ago with 27,000 miles on it. It's a 99 2.2 ohv 3spd automatic. the last 2 years i have gotten the mileage up to 88,000 with few problems.

the car was typically hard to start. requiring almost excessive cranking and gas pedal depressing. back in november the ignition gave me it's first hiccup. since then i have had had intermittent issues getting the car to crank.

typically (but not always, it's pretty random), the issue happens when its wet/damp out and the engine is nice and hot from a long 1 hr drive on the interstate.

what happens is the car wont crank at all. since then i have done my fair share of research and attempts to fix.

i take good care of this vehicle, frequent oil changes, deep tuneup when i bought it (fuel filter, spark plugs and wires, sea foam, etc), frequent italian tune ups, etc.

I have replaced almost the entire ignition system (starter motor/solenoid, ignition switch, ignition fuse, the relay from the ignition recall). The only parts of the ignition system I havent changed is the battery (which has been checked multiple times and is near perfect due to the long interstate commute i have), the transaxle range switch (neutral safety switch) , and the wiring itself.

I've checked the majority of the wiring by eye, and see no obvious signs of shorts. I've cleaned up all of the ground connections. I have ordered the TRS/NSF and am prepared to install that this weekend (i need to flush the brakes anyways, so im planning to pop off the mastery cylinder and ABS to access the TRS).

Finally, when these occurrences happen. they only seem to last until the engine cools down and "enough" time has passed. during these occurences, i can jump the starter to get the engine to crank, but it wont start.

Re: Car wont crank (Intermittent)
Saturday, June 24, 2017 2:56 PM
so i replaced the neutral safety switch/transmission range sensor and they problem persists. i am beyond stumped. i deactivated the anti theft too.

please someone help me.
Wednesday, January 03, 2018 2:12 PM
If you are still around and having this problem, check the ground wire on the starter relay kit that was installed. I had a no crank, no start condition and once I cleaned up that ground all was good.

mtbon
Wednesday, January 03, 2018 4:01 PM
I will second that. In addItion I like to use Kopr-shield paste on the cleaned contacts to keep the corrosion from returning.

Brian
Wednesday, January 03, 2018 9:54 PM
My cav starts rough too. With mine i find if i turn the key and wait for the fuel pump to shut off and then i attempt to start it. Note fuel filter has been replaced. Its no fix but hopefully itll help

ReD RaiN
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search