2000 2.2 Dash lights cut out while driving - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2000 2.2 Dash lights cut out while driving
Thursday, August 24, 2017 6:17 AM
Hello. Just got this Cavalier and I am going into it expecting some trouble already. I am doing wheel hub assemblies and brakes in a few days and the oil sending unit also. Seems to be a small leak around it. Torque mount replaced yesterday. Instrument cluster bezel is missing and I assume was broken when they pulled the factory radio to install a aftermarket one.

This morning is the first time I have driven it to work and I have to leave with it still dark to get there on time. Sitting in the driveway, everything was fine. I backed out and not even 10 seconds later I hear a click and the cluster lights go out, but I still had headlights and the radio was still on. I am unsure if the taillights were still on. I pulled over right away, turned off the car, and disconnected the radio harness since I re-crimped all the wiring connections last night due to an intermittent speaker issue. With the radio out of the way I restarted the car, the dash lights came on, and I started driving again. Less than 10 seconds later they went back out. Frustrated, I just pulled out my phone and swiped it so the backlight would come on and placed it under the gauge cluster so I could see the speedometer. I don't need a ticket on top of the rest of it, lol.

Hopefully someone has heard of this happening before or know of a place to start. One of thing is the second time the lights went out, I thought I heard the fan blower motor kick over for a fraction of a second. Something on the passenger side made a small squeal sound anyways.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: 2000 2.2 Dash lights cut out while driving
Thursday, August 24, 2017 6:43 AM
It is a bad ground.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, August 24, 2017 8:14 AM
Hmm, that could be why the gauge cluster's odometer is so dim you can barely read it during the day. Poor current flow because of a bad ground. Can you name any of the places the dash harness ground points may be?
Thursday, August 24, 2017 8:21 PM
There are 2 in the firewall right behind the cluster

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 7:55 AM
Sorry for the late response. I fixed the hack job someone did of the radio installation (bare wires showing) and it seems to have fixed the issue with the dash lights going out. I did check the grounds also and made sure they were clean and snugged them down.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search