Coolant leak at the back of the head - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Coolant leak at the back of the head
Sunday, November 12, 2017 6:27 PM
Hey everyone I honestly never thought I'd come back on here but alas here I am again. My ex wife (we are friends) bought a 95 cavi 2.2 120,000 miles it has a small coolant leak at the back of the head . Looks like at one time it ran down the front of the block. How big of an issue is this? Is it a sign the head gasket will need done or worse a head. Or is it something those Ginger root tablets would help. If it was yours how would you handle it ? BTW reason I didn't think I'd come back is I moved on to a few s series Saturn's then finally bought a Dodge dart and now run a dart group ect. Lovey dart but im contemplating getting another cavi for winter to. So I'll be around awhile glad to be back on hope all is well.

Re: Coolant leak at the back of the head
Monday, November 13, 2017 12:40 AM
I wouldn't put anything in it to 'hopefully' get the leak to stop. Best to take it apart and find out exactly what is leaking and replace whatever it needs to properly fix it.
Monday, November 13, 2017 8:03 AM
If it's leaking between the head and block it needs a head gasket, plain and simple. What can really screw you on these motors is that the head likes to crack when the gasket goes (because it got hot). Inspect it very well. They like to crack in the back area that you're describing. The crack may be small but it will continue to give you problems until it is replaced. I once pulled another head at a yard because the one I was working on was cracked. When I pulled the "new" head it, too, was cracked. So be careful with replacements as well.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, November 13, 2017 5:14 PM
What's the likely hood I can just replace the head gasket and bolts and it be ok? It's only seeping around the back of the head not a steady leak the car doesn't get to warm or anything.
Monday, November 13, 2017 5:37 PM
Depends on how hot it was. 50/50?

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, November 13, 2017 6:45 PM
If I pull the head inspect it closely I should be ok right? Also it's never been overheated to our knowledge.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search