Can I drive with just 3 brakes? (temporarily) - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Can I drive with just 3 brakes? (temporarily)
Wednesday, October 11, 2017 7:42 AM
I tried asking this on a different forum but all I got were rude comments and trolls. Hoping this is a better place to ask questions about car.
I just bought a 99 tracker. The back passenger
brake needs replaced (drum, shoe, cylinder,
everything). I knew this before I bought it. Anyway I
was told that I could temporarily drive with just the
3 brakes. I understand it's not ideal, but it is my
only vehicle so I can't just park it for a week. I'll only be driving 5miles a day at the most to get my kids to and from school but obviously I don't want to put my kids in a car and risk harming them in any way. Can
anyone explain to me how this is done or if it can even bee done? Will it cause permanent damage if I drive it? Do I just clamp The line off? What can I do to be able to drive it safely while waiting on the parts? The old brake has already been removed  completely but the new parts are going to take a few days to come in. I haven't tried doing anything yet or drove it.

Re: Can I drive with just 3 brakes? (temporarily)
Wednesday, October 11, 2017 2:04 PM
Having been driving for over 40 years, I would have to say no. While the rear brakes use their own valving you are still at risk if you try to drive it with one line clamped off. The car will pull to the side with the good brake and should something happen where you lose the fluid to the one good rear (I.e. the clamp comes off and the fluid is lost) you will only have the front brakes and while the fronts do most of your braking, it will still be quite a chore to stop in a well controlled manner.

I might consider moving a car around in the yard with bad brakes, but would never, ever take it on the road. I'd suggest you ask for some help from family or friends in getting around for the few days until you can get the car fixed.
Wednesday, October 11, 2017 5:13 PM
Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately my family lives 800 miles away. I'll have to figure out something because I don't want to risk swerving or worse with my kids in the car. I'm picking it up Friday so hopefully the parts are here by then.
Wednesday, October 11, 2017 10:30 PM
X2. No point putting ur kids or urself or anyone for that matter at risk even if it is 5 miles. Just wait a few days and ur good to go

ReD RaiN
Friday, October 13, 2017 3:40 PM
Having just blown a brake hose on one wheel, and feeling the resulting loss of brake efficiency, I pulled right back into my parking spot, changed the brake hose and bled the brakes right in that parking lot. I literally didn't drive it more than 5 feet. Definitely not worth the risk, especially with kids involved.
Wednesday, February 28, 2018 8:44 AM
You can do anything you put you mind to.

Once upon a time my (to be) wire said the brakes were making noise on her 1985 Sentra. When I looked at it the right front pads were eating the rotor. This being the only car at the time I pulled the caliper & hung it on the suspension with a piece of 2x4 to hold the piston from being pushed out when I applied the brakes. I drover her to work leaving lots of braking room for braking. On a couple of quick stops, normal with all brakes, it pulled to the really bad & I bumped the curb once.

Then Mr. Flintstone did not have any brakes. Or engine for that matter.

Be very careful.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search