can I gravity bleed the clutch or not - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
can I gravity bleed the clutch or not
Sunday, March 18, 2018 9:16 AM

Every day a new disaster. Never know what is going to happen when I turn the key anymore. Still in the middle of the leaking power steering fluid nightmare and my battery died. But moving back up on the long list of things that are either broken, in the process of breaking, or needing attention - is that low engagement point on my clutch pedal. No question the fluid needs to be changed. I don't have anyone to help me - so being alone is a parameter. And yes, I know about the wedging something between the pedal and the seat option. Don't want to have to deal with touching that pedal if I don't have to. So my question is (and I have not found a definitive answer about this for the Cavalier....just loads of conflicting information about whether it will work or not) - Can I just crack the bleeder down at the slave and let it slowly flow from the master on down until I've got nothing but the new clean fluid coming out and no ancient dirty black crap and/or air? The fewer things I have to touch and mess around with, the better with the way things are going right now. If I don't do something soon, I won't be able to get it into or out of gear at all.

Thanks.

Re: can I gravity bleed the clutch or not
Monday, March 19, 2018 1:15 AM
It should work.
Just get a long piece of tubing that fits tight over the bleeder valve and run it down to the floor into a pan or bottle or something to catch it. Just be sure to keep the reservoir full.

Good luck.
Re: can I gravity bleed the clutch or not
Monday, April 16, 2018 2:22 PM
Hi Dean,

If there is air in the slave cylinder the only way to get it out is by pumping the clutch!
Gravity bleeding will only clear the line too the slave cylinder, but not the slave cylinder.
When you push the clutch pedal it extends the piston in slave cylinder and there is some fresh oil going in there.
When the pedal is released the clutch pushes back the slave piston, and the air that is at the top of the slave cylinder, where the oil line is attached to, escapes. It goes out at the bleeder valve which is right where the line is attached to the slave cylinder.
So you need someone helping you.
This on a '05 car with Ecotec engine and Getrag transmission. I imagine yours is similar

Good luck, Peter
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search