05 Cav fuel pump access - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
05 Cav fuel pump access
Sunday, April 29, 2018 10:48 AM
Okay, guys, in 16 I traded the 01 Sunfire for an 05 Cav automatic. It's been a hassle since. Replaced the fuel lines, brake lines, timing chains, front brakes and a couple other things. I gave the car to my sister for a while back in September running and driving fine. Had to tow it home a month ago due to a problem.

Car is throwing a code P0122. I already replaced the TPS. Did some testing and come to find out that the fuel tank pressure sensor is shorted out bringing the entire sensor bus down. Easy fix, right? Nope. Can't get the tank out. At least, not without cutting the strap bolts.

Look, this thing is a rust bucket. I just want to get another year out of this car before I scrap it. Does anyone have a guide as to cutting a fuel pump access hole so I can replace that blasted sensor so I can actually drive this car for more than 2 miles? I already have the sensor, but I don't have the time or the patience to rip the entire back end of the car apart just to get at this one stinking sensor. Nor an air compressor.

Re: 05 Cav fuel pump access
Tuesday, May 01, 2018 12:23 PM
Sorry for your luck. I don't have any info for you but I'm interested in any info that you acquire here. Good luck..

"In Oldskool we trust"
Re: 05 Cav fuel pump access
Tuesday, February 25, 2020 2:09 PM
I know this is late but I just did this if anyone still needs the info. It's fairly straightforward. Take the back seat out and guesstimate where the fuel pump is at (fairly close to center) I took a hammer and punched a hole with a chisel ( careful not to go to deep as you can puncture the tank and leave yourself one hell of a mess) then took Tin snips and cut 3 sides of the hole. Then just lift the flap of metal you created up, replace the pump. Then seal it back up with silicone on the edges and secure with the shortest self tapping screws you can find so you don't puncture the tank.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search