fuel system problem (2 cars) - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
fuel system problem (2 cars)
Sunday, February 20, 2005 12:41 PM
This is a weird one, my sister and I both have the same cars, each a 2000 cavalier 2.2 5speed. She calls me this morning saying hers won't start, so I go over there and have a look. I take her air box off and her throttle body is coated on the inside with varnish so I squirt carb cleaner in it and then we try to start it, it fires up, runs a few seconds and dies, we try again but I spray into the throttle body and it stays running, but dies when I stop spraying. I figure either a plugged fuel filter or a bad pump. I jack it up and disconnect the filter and some fule dribbles out but theres no pressure to it and I have her turn the key on and off a few times to cycle the pump, but no fuel comes out. So to test my theory I take the fuel filter off mine and fuel sprays out 3 feet. I have her turn the key on and off and fuel comes out in spurts which I thought it should come out steady. I put the filter back on and lower it so we can get a pump for hers, I go to start mine and it cranks but won't start. My car is doing the exact same thing as hers. I check all the pertinent fuses (all good), and swap the ac and fuel pump relays (same relay specs). That does nothing. Anyone have a clue what might be going on? We spent 100 bucks on an obdII reader before all this and there were no codes on her car, and on MY car there was no CEL, but I checked with the reader anyway and no codes. Any help would be VERY much appreciated. Thanks.

Re: fuel system problem (2 cars)
Sunday, February 20, 2005 7:43 PM
If the fuel pump does not come on when the ignition is in the ON position, and the car is not running u should hear the pump buzzing indicating the pump is working.If u find the pump not working and all the fuses and relays are good and the fuel pump is not working the car will NOT run since no fuel is being sent to the eng.As for ur car not starting after removing the fuel filter and reinstallng it and u are sure the tb is getting fuel u may have a coil problem which would cause the car to turn over all day but not start.I know there is a thread for the coil problem do a search.Try that and go from there that's the knowledge I know of that may help.IF I am not mistaken there was a recall issue with the no start issue about it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search