Fan Is Hitting Something - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Fan Is Hitting Something
Monday, March 14, 2005 8:30 PM
i am having a problem with my fan. whenever i turn on the heater, i can hear the fan hitting something. does anyone have any idea what could be gettin in the way of the fan? has anyone had this happen before?

Re: Fan Is Hitting Something
Tuesday, March 15, 2005 4:51 AM
Yes...I quite often get leaves in mine which is very annoying, you can either open the hood and remove the plastic grill and reach down in the squirrel cage and remove them or from inside you can remove the 3 bolts and cable to drop the blower down and clean it out.
Tuesday, March 15, 2005 7:30 PM
its not leaves, its inside the car, and its also winter

Tuesday, March 15, 2005 7:41 PM
I have also had this happen before, it was pine needles. They can get sucked in through the heater intake and can take their time to make their way to the fan blades. It was also winter when this happened.
Tuesday, March 15, 2005 7:43 PM
Bearings/bushings might be shot , that will cause the fan to turn at a bad angle, could be that it's rubbing on the airbox housing itself....I'd pull the blower in anycase you'll be sure to find your problem as soon as it's out.
Wednesday, March 16, 2005 5:12 AM
Once you drop the blower down you can plug it back in (if you unplugged it to drop it down) and turn the key on, the blower will start to turn right away (Be careful you don't stick your fingers in while running as the blades on the squirrel cage are small and sharp)
Wednesday, March 16, 2005 8:53 PM
yes I am aware of that sound. My damn 03 made that sound since it was new, and my 99' also made that sound. It sounds like a leaf at high speeds but if you turn it down to the lowest setting then turn it off, and listen to it. It squeaks. Its my project for spring. I am think of replacing the oem fan with something else if I can. Just STOP THE NOISE!!
James Kuzma

After downshifting into 3rd, and redlining, might as well find 4th and find the speed limiter....its therapeutic.
Wednesday, March 16, 2005 9:12 PM
its coming from the inside so im guessing somethings wrng with the blower motor fan, probably gonna check it out.

Thursday, March 17, 2005 7:05 AM
Drop the fan out from under the glove compartment, and you'll see leaves....almost guaranteed...I just dropped mine out yesterday to replace the blower resistor...I had had a buzzing off and on for 3 years....it was full of leaves and 1 crispy critter.

~-=:'98 GT:=-~
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search