Problem with my starter? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Problem with my starter?
Tuesday, March 15, 2005 1:56 PM
I have a 96 sunfire 2.4 liter. Everytime i turn the ignition it sounds like im over cranking. It takes more then once to turn on my car. I believe it is my starter. Has nebody else had this problem? DO you think it could be something else besides my starter. If it is the starter is it hard to replace yourself?

Re: Problem with my starter?
Tuesday, March 15, 2005 2:36 PM
hey does it do it all the time of sometimes? if i does it alot its your starter. its staying engaged and its hiting the fly wheel thats wut happen to my S10 i had to get a new starter it makes like a chirping doing kinda ?

javascript:openImage('/members/image/01sunfire01/personal_pic.jpg/','804','598');
Tuesday, March 15, 2005 3:08 PM
it use to do it once in awhile. But now it does it every time i start my car. IT takes me awhile to start it now. R they hard to replace?
Tuesday, March 15, 2005 3:12 PM
i dont think they can be to hard i had the dealer do mine bc it was under warrenty it was a 03 S10 but after i got it back a wire cooked going to the starter and i was stock on the side of the road that truck is gone now and it took me a long time so start the truck to

javascript:openImage('/members/image/01sunfire01/personal_pic.jpg/','804','598');
Tuesday, March 15, 2005 5:04 PM
The starter isn't that hard to change. About half an hour job. Two bolts on the starter itself and I think three bolts for a bar that protects the starter, this bar may or may not have to be removed, I think it depends on the size of your starter. Just make sure that you hook up the wires the way they were before, there will be three. ***Make sure that you disconnect the battery before you start.

It would be better to do it sooner than later. If you do it sooner there is a better chance that the starter itself could be rebuilt. I recently had to replace the starter on my car, I left it too long and it had actually wore its way through the housing and couldn't be rebuilt. It cost me about $300 cdn for a whole new starter. I think that the core charge was about $70.

I get to do a headgasket tonight... whoopity freakin doo !!!

Just ask if you need some more help, I could do a little better job of explaining it. It is fairly straightforward.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats as good as they are going to feel all day. ~ Dean Martin

Tuesday, March 15, 2005 7:48 PM
If your turning your engine over, and it turns over at the normal speed, but just doesn't start its probably a problem with your engine, not your starter.
Wednesday, March 16, 2005 12:28 PM
I had this...i would turn the key and it would just turn over and over and over...then my battery would die....the mechanic ended up replacing the ingnition switch...the mechanic explained it to my like this...
The starter is getting power that's why it's cranking, but the ignition section (plugs etc.) aren't receiving power....
Of course, i got the car towed twice from my driveway because of this and both times it started right up for the mechanic.... so far i haven't had a problem (all of the problems started when it got really cold here in Ontario (-30)

~-=:'98 GT:=-~
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search