2.4 wont start guru ? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.4 wont start guru ?
Wednesday, March 16, 2005 5:08 PM
hey people whats up i am about fed up w/ this damn car i rebuilt it and put the motor in the car and everything checks out its got good compretion across the board. its timing is spot on and it has a brand new crank shaft sencer and a new cam sencer. i checked the fuel prsssure its at 50 psi and the injecters are doing there job also this is a 98 cavalier w/ a 2.4 in it. i have also tryed rotating the crank and cams. and it still woulnt fire up.

all it does is back fire i checked the coil pack it seems to be doing its job. so i have no clue what could be wrond i also checked out the ballce shafts and thoe are good. i dont know what elce there is it also has brandnew spark plugs init and i also tried reseting the computer and that didnt work. the only thing left is this

i purchesed a crank from a 94 grand am w/ a 2.4 w/ was a obd 1 system but i didnt think of it but do yall think that the reluctor ring could be diffrent on it then on the 98.

please help i have never seen this b4 in my life.

Re: 2.4 wont start guru ?
Wednesday, March 16, 2005 7:16 PM
Um... if you got a crank from a 94, it didn't come out of a 2.4L engine, the 2.4L didn't come about until 96.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Thursday, March 17, 2005 4:44 PM
it came out of a 94 man and it was a 2.4. please people i need help here not comments from stupid people.
Thursday, March 17, 2005 5:52 PM
no...it came out of a 2.3 hybrid twincam

96 Sunfire, 2.4L Twin Cam 5 Spd, estimated 180hp
Thursday, March 17, 2005 5:53 PM
oh and it came out in 95, not 96

96 Sunfire, 2.4L Twin Cam 5 Spd, estimated 180hp
Friday, March 18, 2005 4:44 AM
If you don't know from where your parts came from how can you build an engine?

87-95 = 2.3

It can't be a 2.3 crank. The main are smaller. Stroke is shorter. The oil pump gear is different. Timing notch are different. Rods journal are wider.

Do you get fuel in the cylinder? Do you really have sparks? Are your sparks strong enough? Is the CPS new?

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Friday, March 18, 2005 5:39 AM
yes i get spark its helthy yes im getting fuel and yes the cps is brand new.
Friday, March 18, 2005 7:26 AM
hmmmm....a 2.4 L in 1994 eh!!! ya right! Psssst , I see stupid people! lol

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence you tried!
Friday, March 18, 2005 2:49 PM
Kenneth Thurman III wrote:it came out of a 94 man and it was a 2.4. please people i need help here not comments from stupid people.

said the fool

1979 Impala Sport Coupe Aeroback
Friday, March 18, 2005 7:46 PM
hey @!#$ yall ok. i was told that the crank came out of a 94 grand am 2.4 ok. heaven ferbid i didnt know that they didnt have a 2.4 that year im not some hot rod cavaquer. these cars are a peice of @!#$. but unfortuantly i do have one and i need it to run inorder to sell it and i would like some knowledge from some body that has something intelligent to add. What i do know is i am sure it looked the same as the one i took out.

so does anybody on this god forsaken web site have anything to add that maybe i havent tried out yet.

also to you to pussys talking @!#$ i live in Deer Park texas if you would like to talk some @!#$ to my face little kids come on over.

( sorry for the spelling i just got a 15 hour shift and dont car right now. )
Friday, March 18, 2005 9:32 PM
are you challenging me to a dual?

Friday, March 18, 2005 9:37 PM
dude calm down you started the name calling

Saturday, March 19, 2005 8:30 AM
I would say replace the sensor with a new one, this could mess up your fuel to air ratio your engine is feeding. This would definatly cause a back fire. I feel you man on some of these people in here. Argue about the stupid S*#t

Saturday, March 19, 2005 12:41 PM
i did replace the sencer both cam position and crank position. anythign elce.

and i do appoligise to the people that where actuall trying to help me.
Saturday, March 19, 2005 12:58 PM
well it sounds like it is out of time, or you bent vavles, is the key way on the same spot on your new and old crank?

Saturday, March 19, 2005 3:34 PM
triple check the timing..... thats what it sounds like....

btw

you shouldnt ask for help then bitch about it when people tell you they cant help because your giving them incorrect info... i work in tech support for comupters and printers and it makes the job very hard when the cust dosent know what there talking about or LYING to you....

http://members.cardomain.com/mattlb2200
Saturday, March 19, 2005 3:36 PM
hehe...

check to make sure the plug wires are on the right cyclinder..

http://members.cardomain.com/mattlb2200
Saturday, March 19, 2005 7:22 PM
just looked up the grand 94 grand am on mitchel on demand avabull engins were 2.3 vin code (3,a,d) and 3.1vin code (m) however if you found an odd ball build or the old owner of the grand am retrofited a 2.4 in to the car you nead to know the exact year of the crank
gm did use 2 styles of reluctor wheels obd 1 uses a 7 notch wheel 94 2.3
95 grand am 2.3 (vin d) 96 grand am 2.4 (vin t) also has a 7 notch whell however i beleve it uses a 24x ckp

is the paslock or vats keping it from starting with the ecm unpowerd it might have made it think its being stolen?
is the oil pres switch working if not it will let the fuel pump prime but will shut it off if no oil presure is presant

if the 2.4 is out of a 94 gm might want to purches it from you cause its a prototype
even the 95 cavaler came with a 2.3 vin code (d)

good luck
and lets all be nice if you want to prove something its not hard to do the research
instead of calling someone on we all have the same goal to go fast, turn quick and stop well and most of all have fun with our cars
Saturday, March 19, 2005 9:04 PM

thank you for the actually helpful info but unfortunately i don’t think its going to help lol.

1. i know sounds outrageously stupid but could it be possible to put a 2.3 crank in a 2.4.

2. i don’t think it is the oil pres. switch because i am pushing a solid 50psi of fuel pres. and the injectors are working i did test them.

3. the timing is perfect as well as compression tested them and rechecked them multiple times.

4. for the dumbass who said my spark plug wires please do not respond to my thread any longer for the reason that there are no spark plug wires on a 2.4 dual or head cam. the coil packs are directly over the spark plugs.

5. how many notches where there on the 1rst ( i don’t know what year they came out w/ the 2.4) 2.4 versus the 98 2.4. and did they have a obd 1 2.4.

6. didn’t bend valves couldn’t of compression is good 210-215 across the board.

i do that the people that have given me legitimate help. but for the last time i am sorry for the mistake on the crank i could only go by w/ i was told i didn’t know that they did not make a 2.4 in 94. and i had no reason to believe that they didn’t. that is just what i was told by the person i bought the crank from so i do apologize.

are there any more descent suggestions.
Saturday, March 19, 2005 9:33 PM
timing can be around 8 degrees off and still have compression, thats why I asked if your keyways are in the same spot on both cranks. The only things that can cause a backfire are Timing, lean or the wires are shorted in the houseing. The housing shorting is not really that uncommon niether.

Sunday, March 20, 2005 6:17 PM
i didnt get a operitunity to check the cranks today but i do believe there in the same position. and i tried 2 diffrent housings and both worked just fine b4 i took them off.

i hate this peice of @!#$ i mean damni have never and i mean never had this kind of a problem b4. and im not about to take it to a mech. becouase i have had 2 ase cert. mech come out and they dont know what they @!#$ is wrong.

please help this poor car run agian.

Monday, March 21, 2005 11:33 AM
maybe....i doesn't sound exactly the same.....but last year, igot 98 2.4L.....i went out to my car after bein at a buddies for a while, and the engine would, fire...only for a sec..then backfire, and quit.......i had no idea what it was..........but it turned out the alarm had set itself off....and what it does...i guess....is that after ignition it trips and cuts the motor....assuming to prevent theft...i dunno....still learning alot bout my jbody....but check it out....never know
Monday, March 21, 2005 12:46 PM
well thats exactlly what it is doing i will check into it today. but i seriously dought it lol but hey you never know right.

thnak you for your inteligent post.
Monday, March 21, 2005 2:11 PM
ok call me at 832 414 4281 i need to know how to disable this alarm to check and see if this is the problem. or post instructions thankyou.
Monday, March 21, 2005 4:31 PM
cars are peices of @!#$... hmm all depends how you treat your car there, with the way you're talking to everybody on the ORG im surprised to see that your getting some responses... Im just sayin it straight up, if you got that kind of attitude and frustration, because of your 15 hour work shift, how do you treat your car ..... no doubt if everything is messed up ...... hah i aint one to judge budz but work your @!#$ out, yeah work is streesful, callin people on and @!#$ haha you must be one of those old fart grumpy texas busters

hey good luck to ya though, personally u didnt take the right approach in this one
PEACE
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search