vibration at high speed got any ideas? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
vibration at high speed got any ideas?
Thursday, March 17, 2005 12:17 AM
If I drive steadily giving it gas to get to 90mph there isn't a problem with noise inside the car.
My problem is when I floor it going 70 mph the interior gets real loud around 90 mph.
I have to shut the engine down at 95 because the vibrating sound is so bad it hurts my ears. Could that be my CV joints? The front wheels aren't shaking at all.

I noticed yesterday that I can move the engine while it isn't running from front to back with my hand fairly easily.
Could the motor mounts cause this vibration problem when I floor it at higher speeds? Anyone ever have this problem?

Re: vibration at high speed got any ideas?
Thursday, March 17, 2005 6:02 AM
check the tq of your lugs they could be loose.. or a bad tire or bad rim..

Thursday, March 17, 2005 6:15 AM
Checked all my lug nuts and they were all tight. It doesn't matter what tire pressure I have in them for this to happen.
Thursday, March 17, 2005 6:53 AM
possibly off balance.

no matter what the cause, you have no business doing 90mph

Land Pirates sail the open roads
DISCLAIMER: If anything I say offends you, I don't care..wear a helmet. Also, the information
I post is what I know to the best of my knowledge. If I am wrong, please correct me so that
others as well as myself may learn.
Premium sinc 6-17-04
Thursday, March 17, 2005 7:02 AM
how is your tire psi?? How about your tred??

dan

Representing the 810's ... biatch!!
Thursday, March 17, 2005 9:29 AM
The tires all have good tread but I have been running the tires a little over inflated at about 35 psi.
I think I will rotate the tires and see if that makes a differnce and try 32 psi.
If that doesn't fix it with the tires then it has to be something else. Will have balance checked too. The only reason I go 90mph is to see if I can get to 108 mph.

Thursday, March 17, 2005 9:43 AM
hmm, maybe braking spots ( flat spots ) on a tire?? Makes a very low, loud da-da-da-da-da ( you know what I mean )

Thanks,

G
Thursday, March 17, 2005 12:50 PM
sounds like front wheel bearings to me...

®â€îñg666™
Friday, March 18, 2005 1:04 PM
Guess what Dennis you were right about the front wheel bearnings. One was really messed up. I also know how it got messed up. I had a broken stud so when I was removing it I hit it with a hammer a few times to get it out like others have said to do. Well the bearing only lasted a month after hitting the stud before it failed. From now on I am going to take the bearing assembly out and then properly support the housing before I use a hammer to take out any stud. For me finding a 30mm axle nut socket was the hardest part of replacing the bearing. I found the axle nut socket at NAPA
I am glad I replaced the bearings before it messed up while I was going some where.
Friday, March 18, 2005 1:14 PM
How much did you pay for your wheel bearings and where did you get them? I may be having the same problem with my car but it makes the noise until i get to 70 then it quits and it does it while crusing at one speed or when accelerating, if you could look at my post in this forum called "tranmission problem?" and tell me if you think it is the same thing that would be very helpful.
Friday, March 18, 2005 3:05 PM
told ya so glad you got it fixed before it really messed up something else...front end parts can get expensive..

®â€îñg666™

Friday, March 18, 2005 3:31 PM
funkz24..when your moving, try turning the wheel to one side or the other..if it quiets down one way, or gets louder the other way, its almost definatey a wheel bearing..

®â€îñg666™
Friday, March 18, 2005 3:48 PM
Rotate your tires and see if it moves from front to rear. I had a rear wheel vibration and i think its off balance tires so i rotated them to the front and now its the front vibrating but im too poor to get them balanced plus i plan on getting some 17's so ill wait.

Friday, March 18, 2005 8:17 PM
FunkZ24
I got my bearings at Auto Zone. They had 2 prices to warranty the bearing and studs.
I paid $67 for the longer warranty which I think might be a rip off. I would probably go for the lower price which was $45 I believe. One thing I don't like about the Auto Zone bearnings is they are all metal around the splines and the ones from Chevy have composite material around where the spline axle goes through the bearing.
This is a better design but you will pay for it like we all do when we get them from GM.
Check around for prices and see what you find.
Friday, March 18, 2005 8:31 PM
If I decide I don't like these bearings I may go back to GM bearings because they know what works the best for the Cavalier.
Friday, March 18, 2005 9:34 PM
Thanks Jim
Saturday, March 19, 2005 8:33 AM
No it is good that you got the warrenty on the bearing. I bought the crappy one and a year later, right after the warrenty was up the same one went out.

Saturday, March 19, 2005 9:03 PM
Go Auto Zone........
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search