Catylitic dilemma - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Catylitic dilemma
Friday, March 18, 2005 12:59 PM
OK, here's the deal. i did a search and after an hour of reading i couldn't find any answers to my little problem. A few months ago my cat threw a code, i had it checked at autozone like an idiot, code came back "bad cat" and the autozone guy cleared it. i recently found out that the cat has an 80,000 mile warranty. i'm right at 78k miles right now. I went to the stealership to get the cat replaced because it smells like rotted sh it and eggs in my car and they wouldn't do it because the code was cleared, he even checked the history and couldn't find it. My question is, is there a way to make my ecu throw the same code before i run the warranty out or am i fuc ked? thanks for any help or advice.

Re: Catylitic dilemma
Friday, March 18, 2005 1:36 PM
um...try sticking a coffee can on the end of the pipe, and hold it there while you run the car in Park lol. I dunno if it would do anything. I really don't know. I suck.

Friday, March 18, 2005 2:02 PM
nah, don't be so hard on yourself. i was just wondering if i could play with the sensors or anything to throw the code, i think i'm just screwed.

Friday, March 18, 2005 2:07 PM
probably not unless you can get ahold of a propane injection kit to richen up the mixture for a few mins...

®â€îñg666™
Friday, March 18, 2005 2:11 PM
where would i get that and would it mess anything else up?

Friday, March 18, 2005 3:02 PM
im not sure where to get it, but i saw it in the chilton's manual to test the 02 sensor, u would richen up the mixture with a propane injection kit..i would think if u did that enough to trip the code in the ecu, when u bring it in they will test the 02 sensor and find that its good and inturn look at the cat..

®â€îñg666™
Friday, March 18, 2005 3:04 PM
make them do their job and diagnose the cat being bad with a vaccum gauge, or back pressure tester, once the codes are cleared so is the history as well.

1979 Impala Sport Coupe Aeroback
Friday, March 18, 2005 3:29 PM
the guy said they won't do it without the code because it's warranty and GM will only let them diagnose it as bad with the code. it sounded like bullsh it to me. should i find another dealership or just give up?

Friday, March 18, 2005 4:54 PM
find another dealership, explain your problem to them and exactly what you did..or u can hush up about what you did to the new dealership and get a cat..good luck

®â€îñg666™
Saturday, March 19, 2005 5:47 PM
thanks for everyone's advice and ideas

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search