The car starts and runs for 1 second then...... - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
The car starts and runs for 1 second then......
Saturday, March 12, 2005 5:55 PM
Ok here is the problem. This if for a 1997 cavalier convertable with the 2.4. The car starts fine and then after like 1 second it just turns off. We changed the fuel filter and it still does it. Any ideas? Thanks

Re: The car starts and runs for 1 second then......
Saturday, March 12, 2005 8:50 PM
U need to make sure ur fuel pump is working first.Just turn ur key to the ON position and do not start the car ,u just have ur dummy lights come on and make sure the pump is humming or rather pumping fuel and not irratict or loud noise where its cutting out.IF the pump is gone it will pump just enuff fuel to let the car run and die.The best thing is to do a fuel pressure check to see if in fact the pump is not going bad.I do not know the specs for ur model on the psi for the fuel but,I think this may be a possibility.The only other thing maybe ur coil packs for the ignition are going.Check the fuel issue sounds like the pump is going out.Which in turn means dropping the fuel tank to replace the pump if thats the case.

Sunday, March 13, 2005 5:25 AM
is your security l;light on while cranking? This sounds like a pass lock problem, but only if your security light is on.

1979 Impala Sport Coupe Aeroback
Sunday, March 13, 2005 7:55 AM
yes the security light is on. I tried that pass lock reset procesure but my light doesn't blink at all. It just stays on. I guess I should check out the fuel pump then.

Sunday, March 13, 2005 9:58 AM
do you have and aftermarket alarm..? i had a customer with the same problem and she had a remote start put in....we sent her to an alarm company and the disabled the remote start/alarm.....and the vehicle was fine after that

Wednesday, March 16, 2005 5:56 PM
OK this is really pissing me off. I took it to a shop to get it looked at. They said that I need to get a keyless remote for it because I need to press the unlock button or something. SO I took it to the GM dealership and told him what the shop told me. He said " no way". So they did a check and said that the gauge cluster is bad. I didn't feel like paying them 300 for them to get another one so I replaced it with a used one. I did the theftlock reprogram thing and the car still doesn't start. We did a little work ourselves and we found that the injectors are getting fuel. We checked the fuel pump and it seems to be okay. Fuel filter has been changed. What in the world should we do next? Would the keyless entry remote have something to do with it. The thing is that the theft light doesn't blink. So im guessing that the passlock thing isn't activated. Any help or suggestions would be great. No there is no aftermarket alarm on it.

Re: The car starts and runs for 1 second then.....
Monday, March 21, 2005 10:41 AM
hey i was having the same problem with my 96 grand am 2.4l and i put a different gauge cluster in and it started right up.
Re: The car starts and runs for 1 second then.....
Monday, March 21, 2005 10:43 AM
grounding issue perhaps?

beer is like a chick.. well not really its just beer, it be cool thou huh?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search