OBD II port dead? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
OBD II port dead?
Monday, March 21, 2005 4:23 PM
I threw the CEL the other day and i drive over to my work to get the OBD II computer scanner that we have. I plug in the unit and it wont turn on so i figure the unit must have a problem, my boss dissagrees and tells me that my port might be the problem. I drive over the autozone and borrow there code reader and the same thing happens. I checked all the wires coming into the terminal and all seem fine. I'm just confused as to why this wont work for me when it worked fine a couple weeks ago when i threw the CEL for my evap system. I'm 99% sure its the evap again since the last code it threw was a 440(evap system malfunction or something like that).

The car is a 2001 cavalier 2200.

any ideas?

Re: OBD II port dead?
Monday, March 21, 2005 4:43 PM
Check all your fuses. it sounds like one may have blown.

Monday, March 21, 2005 4:43 PM
i forget which fuse it is

Monday, March 21, 2005 4:51 PM
thanks, i'll check that a little later and see how that works....i'll post sometime tomorrow to let you know the results.

But if it was the fuse....would it be related to the PCM fuse? if i did blow the PCM fuse wouldnt i have had many other issues to worry about?
Monday, March 21, 2005 4:56 PM
no, it would just blow the fuse that powers up the scanner, I think it maybe the horn fuse or cigerate ligher fuse,.... just check them all with a test light.

1979 Impala Sport Coupe Aeroback
Monday, March 21, 2005 5:14 PM
jimmythekid1 wrote:no, it would just blow the fuse that powers up the scanner, I think it maybe the horn fuse or cigerate ligher fuse,.... just check them all with a test light.

i have alldata i will check and post

Monday, March 21, 2005 5:37 PM
it is gonna be the cigg fuse. it islocated in the fuse block under the hood and it will be a yellow 20 amp fuse.
Hope that helps you out man. PEACE!

Monday, March 21, 2005 5:45 PM
thanks, i'll check all the fuses out anyways...but thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Monday, March 21, 2005 5:53 PM
it ain't a problem, man. i'm just sitting here at work bored out of my mind waiting for my phone to ring (i work in a call center for an extended warranty company)

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 3:23 PM
Ok. One new 20 amp mini fuse later, and i'm back up and running with a functional port. Strange how that port shares the same power supply as the cig lighter...
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 3:44 PM
all it is is a generic 20amp, 12 volt line, its just inlien with your cig lighter, thats why they do it

96 Sunfire, 2.4L Twin Cam 5 Spd, estimated 180hp

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search