SAFE Jacking and Jackstand Points? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
SAFE Jacking and Jackstand Points?
Monday, March 21, 2005 1:55 PM
What are some SAFE jacking points and jackstand points?

Re: SAFE Jacking and Jackstand Points?
Monday, March 21, 2005 1:59 PM
the side of the car where that metal strip is... where the stock jack uses

-----------------------------------------------------

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Monday, March 21, 2005 2:03 PM
I cant use that anymore im kitted

Monday, March 21, 2005 2:41 PM
You can use those. Drive up on blocks and use your stock jack. Will not be able to use a regular jack depending on what kit you have.

Monday, March 21, 2005 2:48 PM
heheh. I've completely trashed those rails on both sides of the car so I clearly have no clue how to properly jack it.

Monday, March 21, 2005 2:51 PM
Guys it is not possible for me to use those side @!#$s, i need to know of outher places

Monday, March 21, 2005 2:56 PM
Use the rear beam and just move farther down away from the pinch weld then.

Monday, March 21, 2005 2:58 PM
well the rears are anybodies guess. As for the fronts: if you have a 6" wide cup peice on your jack(like my old one did) theres is a small square peice behind each front tire. it makes a great jacking point because under that is the frame rail. If you only have a 2" wide peice on your jack(like my new one does) put it anywhere directly on the frame rail. what ever you do dont use that large square with a small jack, it will bent it like aluminum foil(trust me i know from experience). Once you jack it up on those place the jack stands either on the arms to the fornt axle(my personal fav) or anywhere on the frame of the car. Hope this helps.

"Official Jewish J-Body"
Monday, March 21, 2005 3:01 PM
Sounds more like this belongs in maintaince then here.

I use the stock jack to raise the car up some (i have a kit too) then slip a small floor jack at the very front of the frame rails where it makes a decent sized square and jack from there. Usually I can get the car high enough for whatever I need to do. Like someone else said, for the rear if you need to use the rear beam.

Monday, March 21, 2005 3:04 PM
Ok i dont understand what you all talking about, im gonna get underneath my car tonight and snap some pics then ill post them and then it will be much better, thanks for your help guys

Monday, March 21, 2005 3:49 PM
me too, i have completely trashed those "rails". what a pos, it wasn't even reinforced. in the back, i use the thick metal piece that attaches the arms to the wheels to the car chassis, and in the front i find whatever isn't too messed up yet. dont use the part that attaches to the front fender, that eventually bends

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -

Monday, March 21, 2005 4:10 PM
The back all you have to do is line your jack up in the center of the bar and it lifts up really easily. The fronts just look for the flat spot closest to the metal strip.

The Silver J......Ridin' Clean....
Monday, March 21, 2005 4:21 PM
I jack the front from that crosmember under the radiator. THen I place jack stands right behind the wheels on the lip that you guys seem to have crushed. out back I from the center of the arm and place stands in front of the tires.

Oh and I used to put a 2x4 on the jack in place of the round cup. THis helps spread the load and dosnt crush stuff when jacking from the side.

ANd use 2x6s to drive up on before jacking.

I am all that is man

Monday, March 21, 2005 8:07 PM
hmmm 2x4 instead of cup, thats a great idea

"Official Jewish J-Body"
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 5:48 AM
Yeah, I use a chunk of wood as well rather than putting the jack right on the car. My jack's got a little 2" diameter pad for jacking and I've actually punched holes under the car with it.

Those of us with rear sway bars can't very well jack up the rear axle.

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 5:01 PM
by the frame...........
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search