a check engine light question? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
a check engine light question?
Saturday, February 19, 2005 8:22 AM
i have a 2001 cavalier 2200 and ever since 2 months after i got it (that has been about 2 years) my check engine light has constantly been on. Now you probably are saying im an idiot why dont you get that checked. well i have had it checked, 3 times actually and everytime i go to get it checked out i get the same answer "the code is saying it is an evaporation leak, so we replaced the gas cap". ok so i have had 3 gas caps now and the light is still on. They reset the computer....the light comes back the first time i start the car up after i leave the shop. i have no loss in anything as far as power, acceleration or any other engine performance as far as i can tell. i was just wondering if anyone knew really what was wrong because it is obvious that the gas cap is not the problem.

thanks in advance

Re: a check engine light question?
Saturday, February 19, 2005 8:57 AM
possible leak in the fuel system, but that could be many things id take it to someplace that knows what they are doing because wherever you are now they dont seem to know

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Saturday, February 19, 2005 9:33 AM
I had that code on my car for like 4 months, just got tired of clearing it. It doesn't affect gas mileage or anything. You either have a leaky gas tank (it would have to be a decent size hole, so you would know if that was the issue), or you have a bad EVAP cannister, which is probably what your problem is. The way the EVAP system works, is that it checks for a negative pressure in the whole EVAP system, so just about anything can cause the system to not have pressure. The two most common culprits are a loose gas cap, which is the first thing you should check, and the other problem is the EVAP cannister. The only way to test the EVAP cannister is to have a shop do it.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Saturday, February 19, 2005 2:05 PM
Funny thing, I also have a 2001 2200 Cavalier, and just got a header/exhaust on my car, and ever since I did, I have had a check engine light.....it went away for a day, but it's back again. Who can check the code for me? Autozone? I'm thinking of taking it down to Chevy.

Sorry to jack post, but didn't wanna make a new post about same thing kinda.

Saturday, February 19, 2005 2:08 PM
Yeah, go to Autozone, its free there, dealer will charge you like $50.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Saturday, February 19, 2005 3:36 PM
Smoke machine is usually your friend with EVAP leaks.

Saturday, February 19, 2005 7:14 PM
hey thanks for the posts guys. i have a really good mechanic that i use usually but of course the only times i have had the car to be serviced it had to go to the dealer...but now i dont care where it goes so thanks guys!

jimmyd01
Sunday, February 20, 2005 11:32 AM
evap can.. ck for leaks..ie loose hose something to that effect...as for the header almost every cavi or fire with those throw codes

Sunday, February 20, 2005 12:56 PM
Find out want the code is and do a search for it (I know, I know, I hate those bastards that always say that - it kills the thread). I had the same problem when I first bought my car (thats how I found this site) the code was PO1440 or PO1450 or something close to that. I remember reading something about some one that would test it with a cigarette by blowing smoke into a hose somewhere and looking for the leak. I imagine you would want to keep the burner away from the gas fumes!
I borrowed someones OBDII code reader, cleared the code and then just tightened the gas cap real tight every time and have been fortunate enough that I haven't had the problem since.
Sunday, February 20, 2005 1:22 PM
mine did that too.. got a new fuel cap and its fixed.

I got one of those fuel caps with a lock on it...

Wednesday, March 23, 2005 4:06 PM
i've heard the evap solenoid is usually the culprit if it isn't the gas cap. i'm having this same problem on my girlfriends '00 z right now. i just got a new gas cap and i'm clearing the code right now. crossing my fingers that it won't come back on. also we've been having major gas mileage issues. i changed the ignition system last summer and it ran like a champ until winter came around. Still runs good but mileage is ass. I'm getting a new battery and cleaning the cables this spring. I'm also going to put some injector cleaner through it and test the IAC, not to mention changing the pain in the ass blower motor. Anyone got any other suggestions as to gas mileage fixes or do you just think its the combo minnesota winter/city driving?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search