Car won't go...need help - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Car won't go...need help
Thursday, March 24, 2005 6:34 AM
Long time no post...

OK, let me see if I can explein this one....

2001 Cavalier Z24 w/ 2.4L - 5 speed

My car has always idled high - somewhere around the 1300 - 1500 RPM range (I have discussed this in the board before). However, I have noticed lately that after it has ran for a little while, it would drop down to around the 900 RPM range. From what I gathered in my earlier postings about the high idle, this is a more normal range.

Well, when it drops down into the lower idle range, I notice a dramatic change in performance. It seems to studder when getting on the gas after changing gears.

Well, this morning when I left to take my kids to school, I backed out of the driveway...put it in first, let off the clutch..and the car just didn't want to move. When giving it gas, the RPM would go up, but it didn't seem as if the engine was revving - kind of like it was muffled..only way I know how to explain it.

I finally got it to rev, held the gas pedal to the floor and rode the clutch out until I was moving. I was low on gas and just figure that maybe it wasn't getting gas to the engine because I was on a slight hill.

Made it to the gas station..the pump was on a hill and the car would just not go up the hill...engine wise, drivetrain was fine. I was finally able to move tha car around to the other side of the pump (no hill) and put $5 in it - gas was extremely high at this little country gas station, so I just wanted enough to get me into town.

After I got gas, car seemed to be running fine. So I thought my earlier speculations were correct - low on gas.

Got the kids to school and let them out of the car - unfortunately, I was on another hill - as soon as I got back in the car, I put it in first, let off the clutch and it did it again..RPM would rev, but the engine sounded muffled and would not move. The check engine ligfht came on during all this as well.

After about 5 minutes and many pissed off parents, I finally got it to go using the same method I used when I left the driveway...

Took the car home and got my truck - the GAS HAWG!!!!

I have some speculations, but would like to see if someone else has experienced this problem.

My guesses are the following:

Fuel Pump
Injectors
Trash in the gas line

Anyone have any suggestions and a guesstimate of what kind of cost I may be looking at? I promise I won't call anyone any names

I will also be taking tha car by my buddy's (certified Chevy mechanic) house sometime before the weekend so he can pull the code off of it and give me an accurate diagnosis.

Any info prior to would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Car won't go...need help
Thursday, March 24, 2005 9:52 AM
Have you checked the hose connections to the TB or maybe you need to take of the TB off and clean it really good. Do you have cruise control? You can lower the idle with that cable adjustment at the end of the cruise control cable that attaches to the TB.
Re: Car won't go...need help
Thursday, March 24, 2005 1:48 PM
check your coil packs and your coil pack caver to make sure they are good. and your sensors might do that but i doubt it is your injectors. maybe fuel filter? just have to go over the possible check list.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search