question about 2.2 OHV - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
question about 2.2 OHV
Monday, March 21, 2005 4:07 PM
I can only imagine that without having a picture it would be hard to understand what my problem is but for anyone that knows the 2.2 they might know.... well nothing is wrong with the engine, but ive noticed for a while that i see green liquid anti-freeze to the left of my 3rd spark plug hole and sometimes its nothing , sometimes a little bit...its not coming from the head gasket or anything im sure it just seems its sitting there but i have no idea where its coming from.... any ideas?

Re: question about 2.2 OHV
Monday, March 21, 2005 4:55 PM
i havent noticed anything wrong with the car at all.. just this little bit of antifreeze to the left of the 3rd spark plug from the left.... just wondering what it could be.. its not leaking from the top or anything
Monday, March 21, 2005 4:57 PM
You shouldn't be using green antifreeze for one thing. I took a quick look at my motor, and I have no clue what could be causing it.

Monday, March 21, 2005 5:19 PM
my coolant level, I live in canada its half half...... LIke the level isnt significantly dropping at all.... if anything do u think it could be a crack in the block? I dont know
Monday, March 21, 2005 6:54 PM
anyone?
Monday, March 21, 2005 7:29 PM
possibly a cracked head, maybe a water port runs close to the spark plug seat?
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 5:01 AM
Hi Brendan

when I had antifreeze appearing in the position you mentioned it turned out to be a head gasket.

The coolant appeared on top of the block, the very narrow part of the block that was not covered by the head around #3 spark plug and was only a small trace, it mostly evaporated when the engine warmed up.

I have a '93 so it does use Green antifreeze and doesn't seem to have the problems the newer stuff has.

If I remember correctly it was about a month before a new gasket was fitted and I just ensured the coolant level was correct before driving each day.

The car now has 210,000 kms on it now and still drives well.

Good Luck

Alont
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 8:33 AM
ok i looked again and its above where the head gasket ison my engine.... hmmm
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 8:33 AM
wondering if it could be a water port running close to there?
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 11:30 AM
Could be a pin hole in a coolant hose spraying it on the engine.
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 11:51 AM
Make sure that you watch for white smoke. I just did the headgasket on my car and at first I thought it was a problem with the coolant system, where I was loosing coolant. Hopefully this isn't the case for you.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats as good as they are going to feel all day. ~ Dean Martin

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 2:17 PM
yeah theres no white smoke or anything like that.....only a little bit of antifreeze once and a while........ and if anything it will be a few drops if that
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 6:56 PM
isnt it supposed to be orange dex cool anyways?

-----------------------------------------------------

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 7:22 PM
Does it really matter what color the anti-freeze is? I thought they were all the same no matter what color.
any how, I don't have much experience with the Cavi but I would bet if it's above the head gasket but near a coolant line check the hose first. My experience with any car is if you have a coolant leak and ignore it, it will only get worse.
Thursday, March 24, 2005 8:25 PM
I used to drive a 1994 S-10 with the 2.2 as a parts delivery truck. Every day, it would stink of burning coolant until about noon, and then it would seem fine for the rest of the day. Same thing every day. I had to add a couple of litres of coolant every month.
After a few months they let somebody else drive the truck (they gave me a newer one), and apparently they didn't check on the coolant situation. Of course it overheated, but was shut off promptly fortunately.
When it was filled back up, and we did a pressure test, we found the area around the number 3 spark plug to be filling up with coolant. Apparently the head had cracked right above the spark plug, and each night as it cooled off, the crack opened up and allowed the coolant to fill that area. I guess it must have taken until about noon for it to burn off, and it likely didn't leak much more once the engine was up to temperature.
The guy who did the work for us worked at a local GM dealership, and according to him, this was a common occurence. We just replaced the head with a new one, and to my knowledge it's still going now. It had about 275,000km when it was replaced, and I believe now has over 600,000km on it. I started driving it at around 211,000km, and the problem existed at that time.
If it doesn't seem to be going through too much, you can likely go for quite a while before it's going to become a real problem. I don't really like recommending it, but some stop-leak may help to solve your problem (at least for a while).
The best thing to do would be to clean everything up really well, and get someone to put a dye in there so that it will be easier to pinpoint the location. Then you know for sure what you need to do to fix it.
I'd bet on a cracked head though, myself. My truck wasn't the only one with that problem - they had to replace at least a handful of them over the years.

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/2002sunfiresl/Modified%20sunfire2.jpg
Saturday, March 26, 2005 8:19 AM
i don't remember how 2.2L is but look to your radiator for possible small leak that could go on your block when you're driving.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search