Header glowing RED! - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Header glowing RED!
Saturday, March 26, 2005 5:17 PM
Yea, so i drove my car a bit hard today 2200 with an obx 4-2-1 header, i just put in some new denso plugs, so i got home (it was dark out) and poped my hood to see my header was slightly red! whats this mean? did i just give it a bit to much?

Re: Header glowing RED!
Saturday, March 26, 2005 5:48 PM
Sounds like that would be normal for them to look like that after getting on it. Have you checked to see how the plugs look?
Saturday, March 26, 2005 5:55 PM
not yet, to dark out

Saturday, March 26, 2005 8:59 PM
ok, i just drove it again very lightly for about 5 min, the header is still lowing! ahhhh

Saturday, March 26, 2005 9:04 PM
...reach in, grab it, and see if it's loose...

Saturday, March 26, 2005 9:06 PM
Kevin P. wrote:...reach in, grab it, and see if it's loose...

Ahhhhhhh! your paying my doctor bill!!!!!

i also realized that im an idiot for buying iridum plugs that are colder than stock!

Sunday, March 27, 2005 12:41 AM
Make sure you dont remove the plugs when the motor is hot, or you could strip the head
Sunday, March 27, 2005 1:19 AM
Lucky for you, I'm a doctor. If you actually did grab a red hot engine component, i recommend amputation of your head. A second opinion would suggest the same.

Sunday, March 27, 2005 9:20 AM
What is wrong with a cooler plug if it runs good? If you put in a hotter running plug your header will look even hotter in the dark. All I am saying is too look at the plug to see if it looks a funny color other than the normal light brown. Since they are new the insulator will probably be pretty clean. Check out some photos of how plugs burn in a service manual to determine if the heat range is right.
Sunday, March 27, 2005 10:00 AM
Kevin P. wrote:Lucky for you, I'm a doctor. If you actually did grab a red hot engine component, i recommend amputation of your head. A second opinion would suggest the same.

Sunday, March 27, 2005 12:22 PM
Normally a glowing header is a bad thing, indicates excessive EGT indicating lean conditions. On an N/A engine you shouldnt see it but if you drive it hard for a long period of time its fairly normal to see some glow. you have to remember you went from a 1/2" thick cast iron manifold that holds heat in to a 1/16" tube that dissipates heat.

wait for it to cool off and pull the plugs and read them, see how they look

Sunday, March 27, 2005 1:34 PM
My OBX on my 97 2.2l never glows. I really only see glowing headers on high HP cars or those with turbos.

I'd be worried if they glowed this much.

Sunday, March 27, 2005 9:55 PM
doesnt that sometimes indicate a bad cat?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search