Transmission Problem - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Transmission Problem
Saturday, March 26, 2005 9:37 PM
A few days ago I was driving my car (1995 2.2 Cavy) and it started making a really nasty grinding/screeching type sound. It seemed to drive okay except for the noise and the fact that it won't go into 5th gear anymore. It just slides out whenever I try and put it in gear. And the nasty noise is still there, so it hasn't been driven much. It was having a bit of trouble previously going into and staying in reverse, so I'm thinking that either 5th gear broke inside the transmission or the linkage for 5th and reverse is broken. I'm almost positive it's the transmission, but does anybody have any insight on anything else it could be or how much this would be to fix?
Thanks

Re: Transmission Problem
Saturday, March 26, 2005 9:52 PM
How are all the other gears, If it's difficult to shift in the other gears it could be a clutch problem witch would probably run you from $200-$500. If it is an actuall transmission problem it will probably run you a bit more.
Saturday, March 26, 2005 9:55 PM
The clutch was replaced recently and the other gears seem to be working okay.
Saturday, March 26, 2005 10:05 PM
It could maybe be syncros (spelling?) but i'm not really sure. If it is, that would be the easiest and cheapest transmission fix. Good luck with trying to figure it out. Try taking it to AAMCO, and they can trouble shoot it, and if you opt not to have them fix it they will only charge like $50 but at least you'll know whats wrong.
Saturday, March 26, 2005 10:24 PM
Alright, thanks, and in case I need another one, any idea where I could pick up one relatively cheap? Junkyards seem to be the best place so far.
Saturday, March 26, 2005 10:31 PM
Junkyards would be the best as far as price goes, always a risk though cause you don't know whats wrong with it. AAMCO does do rebuilds too, so ask them?
Saturday, March 26, 2005 10:37 PM
I don't have any AAMCO facilites close to my hometown, know of anybody else who fixes trannies?
Saturday, March 26, 2005 10:45 PM
It'll probably cost a little more, but you can try a dealership, or ask them about other shops in your area.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search