what broke down on my 03 cav? explain to me - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
what broke down on my 03 cav? explain to me
Friday, March 25, 2005 8:05 PM
Went in for the annual serviceing on my 03 cav, with 17800kms on it. And it turns out they need to replace the " serp-in-tine belt" (spelling?). Apparantly it frayed. The man at the desk told me it is the same thing as a fan belt, and it used for all of my accessories. I dont understand this... i thought the ecotec only had an alternator belt ?

non the less, why the hell did it wea rout on a car with such low kms? how difficult would this have been to replace if i didnt have warranty? what is this belt the guy is talking about...and what doe sit do?

thanks

Re: what broke down on my 03 cav? explain to me
Friday, March 25, 2005 8:18 PM
It does exactly what he told you it does. spins all your accessories, alternator , ac and such.

Friday, March 25, 2005 10:18 PM
what accessories? i was under the impression the ecotec had a alternator belt...and thats it...e.verything else is ran internally
Friday, March 25, 2005 10:36 PM
air conditioner, power steering and alternator are belt driven by the serpentine belt system, the main force that spins that belt is the crankshaft pulley....basically the crankshaft has a pulley, that has a belt that turns the alternator pulley, air conditioner pulley and power steering pulley, the belt routes around all the pulleys to give them power

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Friday, March 25, 2005 10:39 PM
Powersteering is not belt driven.

Basically its just the alternator and a/c. Its not uncommon to need one replaced once in a while.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Saturday, March 26, 2005 6:06 AM
yah, i am with shifted on this one. I was under the impression that everything but the AC and alternator is mechanically driven...not belt driven.

And id ont got AC, so i figured my car only ran a belt to my alternator

well, so long as that serpintine belt thingy is a meer "fan belt" , then i can understand it. I was thinking it was some sort of internal device in the motor.

thanks shifted
Saturday, March 26, 2005 6:13 AM
Its surely not a fan belt in this case, as the fan is electric.

--
silicon_freak
Saturday, March 26, 2005 9:03 AM
ahh right, i forgot about the powersteering thing......i was tired..thanks shifted.......well if you don't have ac, then your serp belt only runs your alt.......better get that changed, if it snaps, you lose your alternator and the car will not run long

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Saturday, March 26, 2005 10:02 PM
As an actuall answer to your question. I had a similar problem with my 04 Sunfire, I noticed the belt was fraying so I took it in just before my warrenty was up and the ended up replacing the belt tensioner. Maybe try sugesting that to them. also, just try taking a look under your hood, and you'll see was is all driven by that belt.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search