Trans mount exchange problem - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Trans mount exchange problem
Friday, March 18, 2005 3:04 PM
In trying to replace my trans mount on my 2.4L I ran into a prob. I removed the 4 bolts that hold it to the body and I and wouldn't come off. I tried to loosen the center bolt that looks as though it hold and centers the rubber of the mount. I can't get this to budge however. I assume this must come off to get the mount off. Any tricks to getting this loose. I've already soaked it in PB Blaster and given it some wake up taps with a hammer. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Nate
'96 Sunfire 2.4 16V DOHC
'84 Grand National 3.8 Turbo
'91 VW Golf

Re: Trans mount exchange problem
Friday, March 18, 2005 10:28 PM
heat perhaps.....
Saturday, March 19, 2005 3:09 PM
A interesting idea. Heat expands the metal. So if I could only heat what it threads into it could work.

Nate
'96 Sunfire 2.4 16V DOHC
'91 VW Golf
Saturday, March 19, 2005 9:01 PM
Have you tried to get some sort of wrench extention for more leverage?
Sunday, March 20, 2005 7:11 PM
I just did this b*tch last weekend and it took me half the day ( I assume your talking about the lower front mound). I tried everything to get around it, but in the end I had to use a 3' bar on a wrench. The hammer does nothing but make the mount bounce. Lots of sweat, cursing, grunting and time, but with some patience it came off.
Sunday, March 27, 2005 7:08 AM
Yep tried extra leverage and sheared the lil' SOB right off. Now I'll have to remove the entire mount off the transmission and drill it out. I'm speaking of the Trans mount on a 1996 2.4L. The center bolt seems to center the mount on the rubber in a wedge like function. I'll have to go to the junk yard to get a new plate for the trans with this bolt since mine is sheared off now. Who has had this trouble here?

Nate
'96 Sunfire 2.4 16V DOHC
'91 VW Golf
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search